There are 260 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jimmy G with torn ligaments is taking questions over Trey Lance who is probably gonna start sunday... This coach is truly something else.
jimmy said he feels confident he can play sunday
Essentially, Jimmy has an avulsion fracture of the thumb. They can call it a sprain, but it's a tear severe enough to pull ligament + bone fragment off the bone. It won't heal right if he doesn't treat it.

10 years of experience in the orthopedic field tells me he is better off not playing. We are better off without him playing too since he won't be able to throw normally.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 29, 2021 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Essentially, Jimmy has an avulsion fracture of the thumb. They can call it a sprain, but it's a tear severe enough to pull ligament off the bone. It won't heal right if he doesn't treat it.

10 years of experience in the orthopedic field tells me he is better off not playing.
So jimmy lying or he's trying to screw us
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Is he confident he can play well?

Jimmy has played through injuries before and the results have not been great.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Essentially, Jimmy has an avulsion fracture of the thumb. They can call it a sprain, but it's a tear severe enough to pull ligament off the bone. It won't heal right if he doesn't treat it.

10 years of experience in the orthopedic field tells me he is better off not playing.

or he is trying to help trey by confusing the texans about the starter
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is he confident he can play well?

Jimmy has played through injuries before and the results have not been great.

Exactly. He might be OK by next week, but I absolutely would not have him throw in this game.

10 years of experience in the orthopedic field tells me he is better off not playing. We are better off without him playing too since he won't be able to throw normally.

As someone with 20 years of watching football experience, Jimmy G with an injury of any kind is better off not playing.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

or he is trying to help trey by confusing the texans about the starter
he tried this BS against Miami last year.. that went great

by BS i mean trying to play
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 29, 2021 at 12:22 PM ]
I can play Sunday too. But I'll suck. Jimmy thought he could play against the Dolphins as well.

We don't need Jimmy stinking it up.

Lets go Jimmy! You got this
Jimmy gonna give us 2 good drives with the rest stinkers. No thanks. Rest the thumb Jimmy
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Just a reminder, a grade 3 sprain is the highest severity and means a complete tear of the ligament. We'll see if he's a full participant today, but I have my doubts.

Have qbs played with grade three? what is the recovery time?

This was an article from when Drew Lock had a grade 2 sprain…they said Jimmy doesn't need surgery so I'm not really sure, grade 3 is bad.

Dr. Steven Shin, director of hand surgery at Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Job Institute in Los Angeles and a hand consultant for the NFL's Rams, said in a phone interview that Lock likely did not sustain a complete tear of a ligament because no surgery will be required.

"A Grade 2 is a partial tear of the ligament and (the recovery time) is usually 5-6 weeks and then start throwing," Shin said.

Shin said 90 percent of thumb ligament injuries involve the ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint. A Grade 1 sprain is mild and requires 2-3 weeks recovery and a Grade 3 injury is a complete tear and requires surgery and 10-12 weeks of recovery.

The usual timetable for a Grade 2 sprain would keep Lock from throwing until at least Week 4 of the regular season and a new rehabilitation clock would start once he begins to practice.

Nothing makes sense. Does grade three require surgery or not? How can it be a "complete tear" if the bone chip "isn't moving?"

No matter. if trey can dog paddle his way through this, fine.

But that Mills guy is looking real good. i'm not sure what we do with no Mitchell.
All I'll say is that if Jimmy starts with this thumb issue, and they lose to the Texans and Jimmy is ineffective...Kyle will be under heavy fire, and rightfully so.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Dec 29, 2021 at 12:26 PM ]
Guarantee if we were out of the playoff race trey would play. I get that they want jimmy out there but it is frustrating seeing the whole jekyll and Hyde performance with Jimmy. Jimmy is at the apex of high pressure rn with an injury and a must win game against a team that beat down another really good team. His leash should be short but idk what Kyle's mindset is.
Share 49ersWebzone