49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 311 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Mullens should still be on this team. Or at the least, the practice squad.

He knows the system, is better than Sudfeld and with SF was a top 5 backup QB.

What else could a team want out of a BACKUP QB??

The reason why Nick is no longer on the team isn't his play, it's $$$. He costs more. That counts against the salary cap.

This ain't like the olden days, when the 49ers could stash players like Steve Young, Wesley Walker and Bill Romanowski on the bench. Plus pay them well to keep them happy.

That is the old 49er way of doing business. It resulted in five Super Bowl trophies and, eventually, the salary cap. Or as I like to call it: The 49er Rule.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The reason why Nick is no longer on the team isn't his play, it's $$$. He costs more. That counts against the salary cap.

This ain't like the olden days, when the 49ers could stash players like Steve Young, Wesley Walker and Bill Romanowski on the bench. Plus pay them well to keep them happy.

That is the old 49er way of doing business. It resulted in five Super Bowl trophies and, eventually, the salary cap. Or as I like to call it: The 49er Rule.

I can agree with half of that.

Mullen's 2020 salary with SF was $750k and in 2021 he signed with the Eagles for 1 year, $970K.

Was that extra $220K going to break the bank? I doubt it.

Especially when Sudfeld initially signed with SF for 1 year, $990K, with $252K guaranteed. Even if the plan was stashing him on the practice squad, HE'S TRASH, so it's a bad investment at any price.

Then, remember, the Eagles released Mullens, who signed with the Browns practice squad. At that point SF should've signed him to the PS and released SUCKfeld.
[ Edited by Blake_Fever on Dec 31, 2021 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
lol, thanks for the laugh

So you think Mullens being on the practice squad is laughable? Over Sudfeld?

Please elaborate since your lack of football knowledge is ASTOUNDING.
You wanting to keep Mullens, but want to question my football knowledge.. how cute
The reason we didn't keep Mullens wasn't money, imo.

He didn't have a strong arm to begin with, so after the the kind of arm injury he sustained... there was no guarantee what you were going to get from his arm going forward.

Also I think Kyle was kind of pissed at him for not making the best of his opportunity.

Mullens arm looked fine in his start for Browns a few weeks ago, so it was fun seeing O'l Nick playing again.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Mullens should still be on this team. Or at the least, the practice squad.

He knows the system, is better than Sudfeld and with SF was a top 5 backup QB.

What else could a team want out of a BACKUP QB??

Money??? He's making 200k more lol
We got rid of Nick because he was a turnover machine. As we've seen this year - turnovers = lose, no turnovers = win.

He was just not very good.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Let's get it!!!
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Jimmy handing out some sweet gifts for his lineman on Christmas

Cliffhanger….

And what did he gift his linemen other than hope?

Did the Special Teams players get Coal?

Should have bought presents for kittle and deebo instead.

The line should have bought something for Jimmy.

He is always in a giving mood…..especially footballs to the other team.
One thing that is frustrating about the extreme Jimmy fans (one's who throw our other players under the bus, to defend bad play of his) is that by us having to get into detail about critiquing Jimmy... folks try to make it seem like some "hate" him personally. And continue to push that narrative to back folks into a corner.

Here's what Trey had to say about Jimmy today, and how important he was to him this year. Personally, there is almost nothing to "hate" about Jimmy. And Trey seems to have picked up alot by watching a legit starting vet who actually is preparing each week as if they are going to win.

I said myself it would have been better for everyone, mainly Jimmy, if he did ask for a trade the moment the team selected Trey. Felt it would be awkward this year, more pressure, and just starting fresh somewhere else would have been best for his play and his well being.

BUT that is just from someone who is outside the organization, not knowing everything that is actually going on....not a professional competitor. Sure that 25+mil had something to do with Jimmy sticking around....but imo there was more to it, for a personal benefit for Jimmy...like say actually winning a Super Bowl with a Super Bowl ready team..which also happens to be filled with teammates Jimmy loves.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 31, 2021 at 4:59 PM ]

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If we have seen the last of Jimmy then should we retire his number. He deserves it based on the more than 100,000 posts on this thread.

Childs play compared to some of our previous QB's that had their thread re-started multiple times.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Let's get it!!!

Lets go lance
Originally posted by Afrikan:
One thing I hate about the extreme Jimmy fans (one's who throw our other players under the bus, to defend bad play of his) is that by us having to get into detail about critiquing Jimmy... folks try to make it seem like some "hate" him personally. And continue to push that narrative to back folks into a corner.

Here's what Trey had to say about Jimmy today, and how important he was to him this year. Personally, there is almost nothing to "hate" about Jimmy. And Trey seems to have picked up alot by watching a legit starting vet who actually is preparing each week as if they are going to win.

I said myself it would have been better for everyone, mainly Jimmy, if he did ask for a trade the moment the team selected Trey. Felt it would be awkward this year, more pressure, and just starting fresh somewhere else would have been best for his play and his well being.

BUT that is just from someone who is outside the organization, not knowing everything that is actually going on....not a professional competitor. Sure that 25+mil had something to do with Jimmy sticking around....but imo there was more to it, for a personal benefit for Jimmy...like say actually winning a Super Bowl with a Super Bowl ready team..which also happens to be filled with teammates Jimmy loves.

As always a great post
Jimmy should have been traded immediately when trey was drafted...arrogance or ignorance of shanny & Lynch.
They caused this mess
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If we have seen the last of Jimmy then should we retire his number. He deserves it based on the more than 100,000 posts on this thread.

Childs play compared to some of our previous QB's that had their thread re-started multiple times.
How would you know that..hmmm
Originally posted by Jcool:

Welp, there it is. Let the new era begin!
Share 49ersWebzone