There are 143 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
I guess it depends on how hurt that finger actually is. Jimmy with injuries is not good at all, we've seen him several times now try to play injured and he's not ready.

He definitely would give us the best chance to win against the Rams if he was healthy though. This is gonna be a very tough decision for Kyle.

If he has no issues with the injury, then it makes sense to have him play. He still gives us the best chance to win when healthy.
You don't bench a guy who is 5-0 against a team. And I was open to trey taking this job from jimmy. He proved he is serviceable against lesser teams.

jimmy has won against the rams 5x NO GB, pretty much every team in these playoffs. Can't fast track that
[ Edited by Jubwub88 on Jan 3, 2022 at 7:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
You don't bench a guy who is 5-0 against a team. And I was open to trey taking this job from jimmy. He proved he is serviceable against lesser teams.

jimmy has won against the rams 5x NO GB, pretty much every team in these playoffs. Can't fast track that

Who said anything aboyt benching? Its about a guy with a busted thumb vs a high upside rookie. You dont play the busted thumb.
If his thumb is going to need surgery I don't see how it will be that much better in one week. I know that the Niners have beaten the Rams the last few times but it wasn't just because of Jimmy. He averaged 246 yards and 1.6 TDs in those 5 games. Decent numbers but not great. In 2 of them the defense held the Rams to 10 points or less. One of thos ewins was that final game of 2017 when the Rams were resting players since they already had a playoff spot clinched.

If the Niners beat the Rams again this week it will probably be because the D line puts a lot of pressure on Stafford and the running game controls the ball. Jimmy isn't going to be a difference maker. I would be concerned about him turning the ball over either via a fumble or INT since he's not going to be able to hold the ball as tight.
If they start an injured thumb Garappolo and we miss the playoffs, who will get the blame? Shanahan? Or probably Jimmy since he put us in this mess to begin with
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
If they start an injured thumb Garappolo and we miss the playoffs, who will get the blame? Shanahan? Or probably Jimmy since he put us in this mess to begin with

Kyle. He's the one seeing him practice.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Probably better for Jimmy to fail than have Lance fail for KS. Jimmy is already on his way out and KS job is riding on Lance's success. probably better not to throw him out there in a crucial game and hurt his confidence if he fails.

But would be a great booster if he goes out and succeeds.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If his thumb is going to need surgery I don't see how it will be that much better in one week. I know that the Niners have beaten the Rams the last few times but it wasn't just because of Jimmy. He averaged 246 yards and 1.6 TDs in those 5 games. Decent numbers but not great. In 2 of them the defense held the Rams to 10 points or less. One of thos ewins was that final game of 2017 when the Rams were resting players since they already had a playoff spot clinched.

If the Niners beat the Rams again this week it will probably be because the D line puts a lot of pressure on Stafford and the running game controls the ball. Jimmy isn't going to be a difference maker. I would be concerned about him turning the ball over either via a fumble or INT since he's not going to be able to hold the ball as tight.

This has been what I've wondered. There is no way his thumb will be better after just 1 week if it indeed needs surgery. If the thing got better each week, he wouldn't need surgery. I have a hard time believing that the last week off was enough to make it feel like he could go next week. We should know by their next practice.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

This has been what I've wondered. There is no way his thumb will be better after just 1 week if it indeed needs surgery. If the thing got better each week, he wouldn't need surgery. I have a hard time believing that the last week off was enough to make it feel like he could go next week. We should know by their next practice.

Also, in cryptic Shanahan speak, Shanahan said Jimmy will play if he's 100% but no one's 100% this time of the year. I read that means Jimmy will not be playing.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

Kyle is probably just going to keep Mcvay guessing all week.

If Jimmy can play, you play him. this game is the season for us
I htink Jimmy gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. Lance is holding on to the ball too long and if he's playing a team with a decent pass rush they will eat him alive.

Nothing against Lance. Very happy with what i saw yesterday.
Just having the illusion of a healthy JimmyG out there will do alot. Rams wont stack the box and we can pound their defense with our run game. If we have Eman and Azeez/Greenlaw back too, our defense will be the strongest its been all season. Norman will be completely benched and a tandem of Thomas&Moseley will make a world of difference.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Just having the illusion of a healthy JimmyG out there will do alot. Rams wont stack the box and we can pound their defense with our run game. If we have Eman and Azeez/Greenlaw back too, our defense will be the strongest its been all season. Norman will be completely benched and a tandem of Thomas&Moseley will make a world of difference.

The Rams aren't stupid. They know Jimmy won't be healthy.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
I htink Jimmy gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. Lance is holding on to the ball too long and if he's playing a team with a decent pass rush they will eat him alive.

Nothing against Lance. Very happy with what i saw yesterday.

Yes but if Jimmy throws a pick we lose. All season it's been that way. "Jimmy is good, but can't cover his sins." Greg Olsen

trey won despite throwing a pick. Yes I know who we played. But we have lost to teams similar
Share 49ersWebzone