There are 159 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
I dont get this narrative. Jimmy has covered his sins more than once... dont remember the stat but isnt he ridiculous on drives after an int.?

Jimmy G is 1-6 in games he threw an INT this year
We beat the vikings despite an INT

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16760/jimmy-garoppolo
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Where do you think he signs with this offseason? Where would he be most successful?

Saints still have a ton of cap problems. It'll be if they can swing it. Which not sure after thr T. Hill contract.

Denver, PITT, WAS, CAR all are possibilities since they are a solid qb away from being playoff contenders next year.

SEA, NYG, TB, CLE, ATL are all intriguing options depending on what happens with their qb's Jimmy G has a 24 mil lower cap figure than Matt Ryan next year.

I don't know about Seattle. The O line isn't great and they don't have much of running game. He needs both of those to succeed. The fans there wouldn't be too happy either since that team beat Jimmy and the Niners like drum. Denver and Pittsburg would both be a nice landing spot. Pittsburg may be the best. Solid organization and he wouldn't have to face off against Mahomes, Herbert and Carr twice a year.
I dont get this narrative. Jimmy has covered his sins more than once... dont remember the stat but isnt he ridiculous on drives after an int.? or at least he was in the past. It's not always on Jimmy having to cover his sins when our secondary is basically a charity case for anyone who wants to toss it up towards Norman. I really dont care about who the QB is, both have their pros and cons... trying to get into it on this board just throws you into a "camp" and then you get labeled as a hater or nuthugger.

But lezbehonest, JG is gonna sh*t the bed 1 out of every 3-4 games... we havent even seen enough of Lance to know what his rate of sh*tting the bed will be haha... but this secondary has sh*t the bed almost every game and gotten bailed out in our wins or joined in with special teams for being the reason of at least half of the losses. WTF throws are gonna be apart of both the QBs on this team, regardless of the name on the back of the jersey.

This typical take I just don't get it. It appears to be the consensus or group think position. Basically our secondary sucks and JG sucks etc. JG in reality set a consistency mark of most games above a threshold of rating prior to breaking his throwing hand.

Remember the Bengal game. We won that game. Against the same Bengals that just beat KC and pounded Baltimore. Chase has gone off for over 200 multiple times. Not vs us. We held them to 6 points in 3 quarters. Yet people keep putting out this narrative regardless of fact. How's this for a fact we are top 10 in pass defense and fewest pass TDs allowed on the year. Ward can play, Norman's had a bunch of forced fumbles, Thomas is playing ball, Moseley can play, Williams can play. Tired of fans just trashing our secondary. I mean have you looked at the team defense ranks on the year?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I dont get this narrative. Jimmy has covered his sins more than once... dont remember the stat but isnt he ridiculous on drives after an int.? or at least he was in the past. It's not always on Jimmy having to cover his sins when our secondary is basically a charity case for anyone who wants to toss it up towards Norman. I really dont care about who the QB is, both have their pros and cons... trying to get into it on this board just throws you into a "camp" and then you get labeled as a hater or nuthugger.

But lezbehonest, JG is gonna sh*t the bed 1 out of every 3-4 games... we havent even seen enough of Lance to know what his rate of sh*tting the bed will be haha... but this secondary has sh*t the bed almost every game and gotten bailed out in our wins or joined in with special teams for being the reason of at least half of the losses. WTF throws are gonna be apart of both the QBs on this team, regardless of the name on the back of the jersey.

This typical take I just don't get it. It appears to be the consensus or group think position. Basically our secondary sucks and JG sucks etc. JG in reality set a consistency mark of most games above a threshold of rating prior to breaking his throwing hand.

Remember the Bengal game. We won that game. Against the same Bengals that just beat KC and pounded Baltimore. Chase has gone off for over 200 multiple times. Not vs us. We held them to 6 points in 3 quarters. Yet people keep putting out this narrative regardless of fact. How's this for a fact we are top 10 in pass defense and fewest pass TDs allowed on the year. Ward can play, Norman's had a bunch of forced fumbles, Thomas is playing ball, Moseley can play, Williams can play. Tired of fans just trashing our secondary. I mean have you looked at the team defense ranks on the year?

Rankings are one thing. It helps to have a defensive line... but when games are on the line... what has been the weak point of this team? This team runs the ball well and has a D-line, thats gonna make any secondary look good statistically. But when the game is on the line... can you (in the general sense not personally) really tell me that you have any confidence in our secondary holding on for the win?
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dude probably had surgery this week. I'd be shocked if he could even grip a football, let alone play at a high level.

Surgery or not, it doesn't feel even a little bit likely that Jimmy will be back for the Rams game or even any potential wildcard game.

This talk about Jimmy potentially returning for the Rams game isn't any different from the talk we heard last week about them believing he'd be able to play against the Texans.

Exactly my thoughts the second I heard it was a grade 3.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Jimmy G is 1-6 in games he threw an INT this year
We beat the vikings despite an INT

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16760/jimmy-garoppolo

And in how many of those games were we in a position to win if Josh Norman wasnt a starting corner lol.

Edit: I really dont care who is the QB. Just win baby.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jan 3, 2022 at 1:26 PM ]

Rankings are one thing. It helps to have a defensive line... but when games are on the line... what has been the weak point of this team? This team runs the ball well and has a D-line, thats gonna make any secondary look good statistically. But when the game is on the line... can you (in the general sense not personally) really tell me that you have any confidence in our secondary holding on for the win?

Well explain how real contenders like Baltimore or KC just got flat out obliterated by Cincinnati's pass game and we went into their house and shut them down by comparison? If you actually get into advanced stats like QB pressure percentage we are toward the bottom of the league. The narrative of our secondary is trash and our pass rush is tremendous is not what's actually happening out there imo. It's just been tossed out there enough on this board that people believe it.
Well explain how real contenders like Baltimore or KC just got flat out obliterated by Cincinnati's pass game and we went into their house and shut them down by comparison? If you actually get into advanced stats like QB pressure percentage we are toward the bottom of the league. The narrative of our secondary is trash and our pass rush is tremendous is not what's actually happening out there imo. It's just been tossed out there enough on this board that people believe it.

My first thought is thinking that every game is on the same level is a fool's errand in the NFL. Otherwise how could even the worst of our roster in recent years take out the Rams consistently. It's matchups and timing of the game. Once an offense gets into a send them long and heave it up mode against this defense it's crumbled. But this team usually wins the time of possession with the run game. Ambry has come along in the past couple games... but I still dont see how anyone could look at the prior games and think our CBs werent huge liabilities. Normans forced fumbles were his only saving grace. He got replaced by Johnson this past game... that should say everything. Tartt and Ward have been underated by this board for a long time, in the fans eyes Ward is still trying to recover from Brandon Marshall abusing him for 3 TDs when Fangio tried to make him a corner.

With one of the best coverage LBs in football and 2 decent safeties the middle of the field is covered... but at the end of games when no one can play zone to save their life or its one on one down the sideline with a good WR... just hard to have any confidence that these CBs justify the rankings.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jan 3, 2022 at 1:44 PM ]
I wouldnt' trust this secondary to cover a college team's group of wr's. Tarrt and Ward are allergic to making plays unless the ball is thrown directly to them.

The rankings don't reflect the fact that we have DOUBLE the league average in Defensive Pass Interference.
It's bad when even Davis Mills did a 3 step drop and lobbed one over top because our defense has proven to give up Defensive PI ALL season.
But yeah... the Bengals game... in the end, Joe Burrow threw for 350 yards and eventually Jamarr Chase had two touchdowns.

All in all, yes, we have a good defense, but if there's a chink in our armor... it's that you can really pick on our cornerbacks in one on one situations.
I have no doubt in my mind that when the playoffs come, our defense is going to challenge teams... but I'm also pretty sure that the elite QB's in the playoffs are going to really try and go after our cornerbacks... particularly, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, if we have to play them.

Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldnt' trust this secondary to cover a college team's group of wr's. Tarrt and Ward are allergic to making plays unless the ball is thrown directly to them.

Ward is a damn good cover safety and one of the best tacklers on the team.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Ward is a damn good cover safety and one of the best tacklers on the team.

Ward and tartt get too much hate. They have been playing really well considering how bad our corners have been.
How are they rated 5th in the league in pass yards given up?

I think we overreact to all the pass interference calls and not look at all the other plays that the secondary defended well.
Originally posted by miked1978:
How are they rated 5th in the league in pass yards given up?

I think we overreact to all the pass interference calls and not look at all the other plays that the secondary defended well.

There is definitely revisionist history with this defense. But the most memorable parts of games are the endings, not the 3 quarters before that. IE: Titans, Bengals etc. Remove the 4th quarter from games and this team would have a bye week going into the playoffs.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I htink Jimmy gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. Lance is holding on to the ball too long and if he's playing a team with a decent pass rush they will eat him alive.

Nothing against Lance. Very happy with what i saw yesterday.

Yes but if Jimmy throws a pick we lose. All season it's been that way. "Jimmy is good, but can't cover his sins." Greg Olsen

trey won despite throwing a pick. Yes I know who we played. But we have lost to teams similar

The "who we played" card is being played because it gets done for Jimmy.

JAX, DET, CHI, were all, "but look who we played".

Either way, he played well and that's a positive thing.

I'm supporting whoever Kyle puts under center because he knows who gives our offense the best chance to succeed. Not fans on a forum who made up their mind last April

That's ironic. Because the only thing I adamantly disagreed with you on this year was the comment you made along the lines of… "Anyone who wants Trey Lance to start doesn't want us to win" Did you not make up your mind in April with that quote? I've never understood that one.

Ive repeatedly said that was a the wrong way to look at things because you're assuming what Trey is without evidence and speculating what he would become this season when my default position all year has been "I don't know.

It's okay to say I don't know and I'd argue that's the only position to hold that made any sense when projecting Lance as a rookie.

As far as Jimmy G goes…

I really don't understand how anyone can assume he's going to have a huge market and expect him to make more money next season with his new team.

The Steelers make some sense but I've always seen them as a team that wants to push the ball down the field in a vertical passing game. That's not Jimmy's game. Maybe they change their philosophy.

I'll concede Jimmy is more safe of a player than Bridgewater or Heinicke but when you consider his cap hit I don't see how he's a better option for those teams. I'd rather have Heinicke + cap space over Jimmy.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jan 3, 2022 at 3:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone