Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 246 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
JG trade story: Patriots tried
Here an inside story by Breer:

In the end, Jimmy Garoppolo wanted to be a starter, and the Patriots—having failed to make him happy—finally relented.
Inside the shock trade at the deadline that sends Tom Brady's backup to San Francisco to become Kyle Shanahan's main man:
Jimmy Garoppolo Trade: Insider Patriots-49ers Deal

Quote:

They were willing to pay to make it happen. They were willing to wait on him to close the deal. But late on Monday night,
the Patriots finally gave up hope, because they couldn't give Jimmy Garoppolo what he really wanted: playing time.
_
As I understand it, the Patriots put potential solutions in front of Garoppolo in the spring and summer to try to extend their
window to pass him the torch that Tom Brady has carried for the last 17 seasons. It would have cost them a lot, but they
were willing to carry two starting quarterback contracts on their books to do it. Garoppolo, however, made it clear he that
want to be a starter, not just a guy paid like one.

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/jg-trade-story-patriots-tried.1141654/#post-5133003
Glad the Pats wanted badly to extend him.

This. They really did want to hold onto him and were willing to pay him like a starter, but ended up having to cave....which makes me love the trade anymore
Gave up too much.
Did the 49ers extend him?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Gave up too much.

No.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Did the 49ers extend him?

Not yet, but we will
Originally posted by jrg:
Gave up too much.

No.

Lol try harder
Gave up too much.

Didn't you hear? You've been traded to the Cleveland Browns for a fan to be named later and a pack of chiclets.

Sorry, man. Best of luck over there.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:02 PM ]
Gave up too much.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KiwiM:
Originally posted by okdkid:
NBC Sports Boston‏Verified account @NBCSBoston 3h3 hours agoMore
Jimmy Garoppolo 'can't get on the plane fast enough' after trade to #49ers - @MikeGiardi http://bit.ly/2gQbJQN

That is awesome!

Yeah, it is.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Gave up too much.

No.

Lol try harder

They should have offered the saints pick. He will fail in SF behind this o line and lack of weapons.

I think the driving factor behind this trade is NE didn't feel they could re-sign JG for what he'd want...so they called Lynch and the talks started. Also think Lynch had dimming confidence they could sign Cousins...for one, he could sign an extension w/Skins or they have one more year of franchising him if they don't get an extension signed. Either way, JL knows Shanahan needs a QB sooner rather than later. So, the deal got done and now there's no more wondering who our QB of the future will be. I'm sure Lynch will work the OL as much as he can...now, to offset Staley's absence and in both the FA period and draft to establish a much more formidable group. Beathard's still worth developing...he's a smart kid and can become a solid b/u. This move also shows the current players their FO has their back...and will do whatever it takes to put a winner on the field. I'd think Jimmy's first start would come after the bye...to give him a reasonable chance to learn as much of the offense as he can. This is sure welcome news...way to go JL!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Gave up too much.

No.

Lol try harder

They should have offered the saints pick. He will fail in SF behind this o line and lack of weapons.

He gives us someone to build around and grow a team with. Unless you were happy with the Hoyer's of the world??
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
clear your schedules and s hine your ball bags....we might be going bowling soon....Super Bowling!!!!!

So he also rushes the passer and plays CB? Sweet.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
All we need know is a rb,te,wr,t,g,c,de,olb,cb,fs,ss.

J/k I mean we really do need all those things but I'm glad they made a gutsy move to get a potential franchise cornerstone.Ive been waiting for ever for them to pull the trigger for someone that can make plays
Originally posted by jcs:
Gave up too much.

No.

Lol try harder

He gives us someone to build around and grow a team with. Unless you were happy with the Hoyer's of the world??

I didn't like Hoyerror at all.
Share 49ersWebzone