There are 241 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jiks:
Watch Beathard come out and throw for 478 yards, 5 tds, 78 rushing yards this Sunday.

A good ol fashion QB competition.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ers18:
So what # is he going to get?

Is he going to take #10 from Bourne?

NO!!! Bourne is gonna gift wrap it up for him, I mean he better this is the franchise QB we all wanted, players and fans!!!

Know this—the Patriots tried.
They knew what they had with their sweetheart of a quarterback situation, with the greatest of all time as their starter and a 25-year-old star-in-waiting behind him, and they wanted to keep it going. They were willing to pay to make it happen. They were willing to wait on him to close the deal.
But late on Monday night, the Patriots finally gave up hope, because they couldn't give Jimmy Garoppolo what he really wanted: playing time

As I understand it, the Patriots put potential solutions in front of Garoppolo in the spring and summer to try to extend their window to pass him the torch that Tom Brady has carried for the last 17 seasons. It would have cost them a lot, but they were willing to carry two starting quarterback contracts on their books to do it. Garoppolo, however, made it clear he that want to be a starter, not just a guy paid like one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/30/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots-49ers?

More than one team I spoke with that was in the market for a quarterback in the spring was under the impression that the Patriots weren't moving Garoppolo. Since then, the Patriots have gotten eight games of evidence that Tom Brady will be fine as a 40-something, and Garoppolo has gotten closer to the end of his deal. So yes, there's definitely reason to believe the Patriots should have done this six months ago, at the height of the market. But given Brady's age and the importance of the position, there's also an argument that it would've been best for the Patriots to just hold on to Garoppolo for as long as they could, even if it meant tagging him and giving Brady another raise (to keep him the team's highest-paid quarterback).

The Patriots waited, and so now Garoppolo's a Niner, and for San Francisco this one's a home run.
Niners coach Kyle Shanahan, as the Browns offensive coordinator in 2014, graded Garoppolo, the then-Eastern Illinois quarterback, highly, and now he gets him for the virtually the same price, draft-pickwise, that the Patriots paid for Garoppolo three years ago. At the very least, this is a half-season audition for Garoppolo to be the long-term answer in San Francisco. More likely, he'll be there for a lot longer than that.

The Niners are armed with the franchise tag for 2018 and more than $100 million in cap space to do a long-term deal with their new QB. If it works out, and Garoppolo is the guy he looked like on September 18, 2016, when he was 18-for-26 for three touchdowns and no picks less than two quarters against Miami before getting hurt, they just stole a franchise quarterback.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:27 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
So how is Jimmy G going to do behind this 49ers' O Line? This is not the Patriots O Line.

He'll get killed, that's why I hope he sits the rest of the year and come back next year with a revamped OL
The people who compare him to Matt Cassell and Matt Flynn should repeatedly punch themselves in the throat.

There is no comparison, at all.
trade bait lol

Trade deadline is 1pm tomorrow lol, unless you mean offseason trade
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
The #49ers originally included QB Brian Hoyer in the trade to the #Patriots but he was taken out for comp. pick reasons. Now released
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
trade bait lol

Trade deadline is 1pm tomorrow lol, unless you mean offseason trade

I did mean off-season... our even further down the line. I mean JimmyG was involved in trade rumors for like 2 years before today
[ Edited by 49ers18 on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by LenCat:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
0riginally posted by pdizo916:
Did the 49ers extend him?

can't imagine Garop would take a single snap w/out a new contract (I'm sure they've already agreed to something in principal). It's one thing to hold a clip board for the ageless Brady w/out a contract but to be thrown to the wolves w/ our pathetic OL and risk ending his career without a (relative) nickle in the bank??? Not happening. Hopefully it will be a very 49er friendly, incentive laden deal. We'll prolly know this week.

No, he's under contract to play football. And he's gonna step and play football no matter what the o line looks like.

Not w/out a new contract he aint
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
0riginally posted by pdizo916:
Did the 49ers extend him?

can't imagine Garop would take a single snap w/out a new contract (I'm sure they've already agreed to something in principal). It's one thing to hold a clip board for the ageless Brady w/out a contract but to be thrown to the wolves w/ our pathetic OL and risk ending his career without a (relative) nickle in the bank??? Not happening. Hopefully it will be a very 49er friendly, incentive laden deal. We'll prolly know this week.
Trust me, he'll get the bank, and we have the money to do it. I guarantee you that a deal has already been agreed upon. I just hope it's front loaded and full of incentives. But this will probably get done before the weeks end.

Exactly

He's been waiting almost 4 years to prove he can be the guy and you think he's gonna come over to his new team and be a diva and say he isn't playing unless he gets a new contract? Great way to win over the team and fan base.
Congratulations, Niners! You just acquired the second coming of Matt Cassell!!!

And squandered both what will be nearly a first round pick, as well as any shot you had at Kirk Cousins next year.

A day that will live in infamy, not unlike the OJ Simpson trade that ruined the team for years.

Your NFC West rivals say

[Nvm]
[ Edited by 49ers18 on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
The #49ers originally included QB Brian Hoyer in the trade to the #Patriots but he was taken out for comp. pick reasons. Now released

So how does that affect patriots compensation picks wise? I know they get to sign him on a cheaper deal for sure
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

And squandered both what will be nearly a first round pick, as well as any shot you had at Kirk Cousins next year.

A day that will live in infamy, not unlike the OJ Simpson trade that ruined the team for years.

Your NFC West rivals say

So you're saying the 49ers acquired an 11-5 QB!!!!

Hell..........yes!!!

Your NFC West rivals say

Your NFC West rivals say
Share 49ersWebzone