There are 248 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Youngone:
I say if win a super bowl, I'm all for resigning Jimmy and scrapping the Trey Lance project (as costly as it was). I hope we have that problem. You guys are crazy if you think Trey would've been named the starter if we won a chip last season. If we win a chip, it's Jimmy's team and you all know it.

It all depends on how thats done. If it's Jimmy from 2019 Saints having a big game to win it absolutely. If it's the 9ers winning because of a blocked punt and defensive showcase however.

The HOW matters.
I say if win a super bowl, I'm all for resigning Jimmy and scrapping the Trey Lance project (as costly as it was). I hope we have that problem. You guys are crazy if you think Trey would've been named the starter if we won a chip last season. If we win a chip, it's Jimmy's team and you all know it.

Nah.

Jimmy winning a SB just prices him out from SF even more.

Lance is the starter next season. The question will be if Purdy or another non-Jimmy vet is backing him up.
If Jimmy gets us to the playoffs I would offer him a two or three year extension. May even consider it before then. He may or may not agree to it depending on various factors but would be nice to have him as a backup plan/helps keep us in contention if Lance just isn't the guy and we need to start searching for and developing someone else. Not writing off Purdy as he has shown promise.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by jcs:
A little worried Jimmy's oline is worse this season over last year. They've already gotten one qb killed.

O line did that did they?

Oline between the tackles is bottom 10 in the league maybe bottom 5. They suck. Jimmy holds on to the ball until the last possible second it's his play style. These guys are going to get him hit this season.
The SB odds improve if Jimmy G. is the QB. This is a strange world, but end of the day, if that is true, so be it.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

Nah.

Jimmy winning a SB just prices him out from SF even more.

Lance is the starter next season. The question will be if Purdy or another non-Jimmy vet is backing him up.

After this injury not so sure it's a guarantee, kid has barely played football going back to 2019. I can see more competition being either brought in or resigned for the job next offseason than many here are expecting despite the investment made.
[ Edited by jcs on Sep 19, 2022 at 8:49 AM ]
Oline between the tackles is bottom 10 in the league maybe bottom 5. They suck. Jimmy holds on to the ball until the last possible second it's his play style. These guys are going to get him hit this season.

They weren't yesterday. Clearly you also haven't watched the O lines around the league.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
The SB odds improve if Jimmy G. is the QB. This is a strange world, but end of the day, if that is true, so be it.

Not really strange, only a crazy person would think Treys coming in better than an 8 year vet.
If Jimmy wins Super Bowl do we try to resign him?

IF the 49ers win the SB this season, expect a 3-yr contract for Jimmy G., an expensive one, well worth it given the last SB win was 18 years ago!

Given the history, he could be out for half the new contract, but the remaining games would be entertaining, back and forth, media would love it. Isn't that what sports is all about.
After this injury not so sure it's a guarantee, kid has barely played football going back to 2019. I can see more competition being either brought in or resigned for the job next offseason than many here are expecting despite the investment made.

He hasn't played badly.

In a second half and four starts he has:

SEA - played well coming in for injured Jimmy.

ARZ - played like a rookie making his first start. Not great, but not bad, either.

HOU - played well, helping team win in order to keep playoffs alive

CHI - played uneven in a rainstorm

SEA - Played well leading a couple scoring drives, injured on 2nd to last play of a 2nd FG drive

That's not playing badly. That's simply too small of a sample size to know how well he's gonna play.

So you take a second shot at what they were planning this year: develop him slowly, and see what he can become when getting some playing time under his belt.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Totally forgot about that, no TC, no Preseason and no meaningful reps in practice leading up to the game.

Lol did you say that when Lance played vs AZ last yr? Damn near the same thing and all I heard was how bad he is.

Either way glad we got Jimmy and can still play competitive football this yr

Why are you s**tting on Jimmy Compliments?

Sorry he stepped in and saved the day.

I think it's ignorant to claim to know Trey wouldn't have won this game, or that Jimmy wouldn't have won the bears game. No one knows. It's okay to admit you don't know.

Last season, posters were claiming that starting Trey would have resulted a wasted season. I thought that was very short sided considering how raw Trey is and how important it was to get him passing reps. But they were basing their opinion off nothing because Trey hadn't played a down yet,

Now that Jimmy is the starter, I will again stay consistent and reject the speculation about Trey performing as good or better than what Jimmy can offer late in the season,

Anyone who claims to know how the other QB would have performed is just guessing at best, and incredibly biased and political at worst.
How do incentive base contracts like Jimmy's have an effect on the cap if they're met? Foe simplicity's sake,, say Jimmy makes 6 million base this year, but now woth incentives, makes 12 million. Won't the niners be over the cap?
Originally posted by 49ersking:
If Jimmy wins Super Bowl do we try to resign him?

IF the 49ers win the SB this season, expect a 3-yr contract for Jimmy G., an expensive one, well worth it given the last SB win was 18 years ago!

Given the history, he could be out for half the new contract, but the remaining games would be entertaining, back and forth, media would love it. Isn't that what sports is all about.

I'd think it would be similar to the Eagles the year Foles won the SB. Resigning Jimmy would be admitting a mistake drafting Trey. Don't themknyneyre ready to do that yet.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Sep 19, 2022 at 9:17 AM ]
What if all the stars are aligning and the reason Jimmy never ended up getting traded was because his destiny is to win a super bowl for the Niners this season. We may be thanking the Football Gods and the end of the season
feelin good this morning the 9ers are ridin with Jimmy
Share 49ersWebzone