There are 242 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Originally posted by Youngone:
If Jimmy wins Super Bowl do we try to resign him?

IF the 49ers win the SB this season, expect a 3-yr contract for Jimmy G., an expensive one, well worth it given the last SB win was 18 years ago!

Given the history, he could be out for half the new contract, but the remaining games would be entertaining, back and forth, media would love it. Isn't that what sports is all about.

I'd think it would be similar to the Eagles the year Foles won the SB. Resigning Jimmy would be admitting a mistake drafting Trey. Don't themknyneyre ready to do that yet.

If Jimmy wins a superbowl than expect Jed too make himself involved in any resigning decisions.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by jcs:
Oline between the tackles is bottom 10 in the league maybe bottom 5. They suck. Jimmy holds on to the ball until the last possible second it's his play style. These guys are going to get him hit this season.

They weren't yesterday. Clearly you also haven't watched the O lines around the league.
Bengals has one of the most expensive oline ever assembled by a team- they're worse than ours.
Just think If some team had made us a decent offer for Jimmy before the season had begun. We'd be seeing Purdy time right about now. That's a scary thought.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
How do incentive base contracts like Jimmy's have an effect on the cap if they're met? Foe simplicity's sake,, say Jimmy makes 6 million base this year, but now woth incentives, makes 12 million. Won't the niners be over the cap?

No, we are charged with the full amount up front based on his numbers from last year. He hits the cap at 14 million this year. Had he not played we would have got the credit he didnt use next year.

Edit: This is the reason AB1 salary cap thread never really went up. The big credit for Jimmy is next year.
[ Edited by Strwy2Hevn on Sep 19, 2022 at 9:35 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
After this injury not so sure it's a guarantee, kid has barely played football going back to 2019. I can see more competition being either brought in or resigned for the job next offseason than many here are expecting despite the investment made.

He hasn't played badly.

In a second half and four starts he has:

SEA - played well coming in for injured Jimmy.

ARZ - played like a rookie making his first start. Not great, but not bad, either.

HOU - played well, helping team win in order to keep playoffs alive

CHI - played uneven in a rainstorm

SEA - Played well leading a couple scoring drives, injured on 2nd to last play of a 2nd FG drive

That's not playing badly. That's simply too small of a sample size to know how well he's gonna play.

So you take a second shot at what they were planning this year: develop him slowly, and see what he can become when getting some playing time under his belt.

He has been seriously injured in half of his starts and he has to recover from what might be very severe ankle injury.

I wasn't tripping on where he was in his development. I am tripping over him being injury prone and/or damaged goods.
I say if win a super bowl, I'm all for resigning Jimmy and scrapping the Trey Lance project (as costly as it was). I hope we have that problem. You guys are crazy if you think Trey would've been named the starter if we won a chip last season. If we win a chip, it's Jimmy's team and you all know it.

Nah.

Jimmy winning a SB just prices him out from SF even more.

Lance is the starter next season. The question will be if Purdy or another non-Jimmy vet is backing him up.

After this injury not so sure it's a guarantee, kid has barely played football going back to 2019. I can see more competition being either brought in or resigned for the job next offseason than many here are expecting despite the investment made.

If they win a SB, it's bad PR for a team to reward a SB winning QB an exit out. I think common sense dictates that if you win a SB, the QB must've done a tremendously outstanding job like everyone else in the team not just in the SB per se but the whole journey to SB.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
I say if win a super bowl, I'm all for resigning Jimmy and scrapping the Trey Lance project (as costly as it was). I hope we have that problem. You guys are crazy if you think Trey would've been named the starter if we won a chip last season. If we win a chip, it's Jimmy's team and you all know it.

Nah.

Jimmy winning a SB just prices him out from SF even more.

Lance is the starter next season. The question will be if Purdy or another non-Jimmy vet is backing him up.

If they win a SB, it's bad PR for a team to reward a SB winning QB an exit out. I think common sense dictates that if you win a SB, the QB must've done a tremendously outstanding job like everyone else in the team not just in the SB per se but the whole journey to SB.

It's a unique situation, and one that ahead of time will be known to be headed towards a separation.

Everyone knows that Jimmy's 2022 is an audition to start somewhere else in 2023. Winning the SB doesn't change the math on needing to develop Lance to be the future at QB moving forward.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He won in green bay in terrible weather.
He definitely could have won in Chicago.

And in Washington DC. I think Jimmie's experience would of really helped the team that day but it's all good. It's over and nothing we can do but look forward to spanking Denver next week.

Lets hope we continue to Air it out. Opens up so much.

Yeah.... right lol

You don't think we keep taking deep shots? I understand the deep shots are now much shorter but I think we keep going down field.

Lol short deep shots are now a thing
How does Jimmy impact our Cap now?
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He won in green bay in terrible weather.
He definitely could have won in Chicago.

And in Washington DC. I think Jimmie's experience would of really helped the team that day but it's all good. It's over and nothing we can do but look forward to spanking Denver next week.

Lets hope we continue to Air it out. Opens up so much.

Yeah.... right lol

You don't think we keep taking deep shots? I understand the deep shots are now much shorter but I think we keep going down field.

Lol short deep shots are now a thing

Situational. Deep throws are non existent with Jimmy. His version of deep his everyone elses mid range. So yes I hope Jimmy keeps throwing deep and by that I mean 14 yrds.

Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
How does Jimmy impact our Cap now?

We get 10 M cap space next year not 20 M. Ballparking of course.
Originally posted by Heroism:
My expectations haven't changed one bit with Jimmy. It's SB or bust. This roster is stacked, and Jimmy is more than capable of leading the team to the SB. Now, winning when we get there... Let's go, Jimmy.

My man!
Originally posted by Goatie:
Jimmy is just a class act. Clutch game after no preseaon practice, shoulder surgery and just a couple of weeks practice after the end of the preseason. In Jimmy we trust.

Quite honestly, I wonder if he even knew all the play calls given this offense was built for Trey. LOL. There were times he was kind of laughing with guys so it made me wonder.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Jimmy is gonna get paid this season thanks to those incentives.

$14M+
We all know how this story is going to end.

NEXT!
Share 49ersWebzone