There are 258 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Can't be serious with comments like these. I've watched multiple times each of his playoff performances, including the SB loss as tough as it was to re-watch and re-watch again. He wasn't "great" in those games but he had some very good moments and for sure didn't "suck." And yes, all four of the playoff wins with him he did have something to do with. Don't just look at the stats, just go re-watch each game from start to finish - it's right there, and again, not saying he was great in any of the four but he did contribute in each where this team was able to play complementary football to get the Ws.

This is coming from someone whose standards for the Niners' QB position are as high as anyone after watching every game played by Montana and Young.

Not ruling anything out this year, and I'll take Garoppolo, this O & this D along with an improved ST unit and put them up against any team, home or away, and I'll very much like this team's chances going into each of those games. We'll find out soon enough with games vs. the Rams, Chiefs, Chargers, and other tough games ahead.

I really liked seeing Jimmy take some deep shots. I also like some of those throws that were outside the numbers. He had a really nice throw for 15 yards to Ray Ray on a 3rd and 2. O yac, I believe.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I really liked seeing Jimmy take some deep shots. I also like some of those throws that were outside the numbers. He had a really nice throw for 15 yards to Ray Ray on a 3rd and 2. O yac, I believe.

It is amazing how he can throw now his shoulder is fixed.
Originally posted by Goatie:

It is amazing how he can throw now his shoulder is fixed.

He certainly looked better ( healthier ) than he did In the nfccg against the Rams. That's a positive.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Can't be serious with comments like these. I've watched multiple times each of his playoff performances, including the SB loss as tough as it was to re-watch and re-watch again. He wasn't "great" in those games but he had some very good moments and for sure didn't "suck." And yes, all four of the playoff wins with him he did have something to do with. Don't just look at the stats, just go re-watch each game from start to finish - it's right there, and again, not saying he was great in any of the four but he did contribute in each where this team was able to play complementary football to get the Ws.

This is coming from someone whose standards for the Niners' QB position are as high as anyone after watching every game played by Montana and Young.

Not ruling anything out this year, and I'll take Garoppolo, this O & this D along with an improved ST unit and put them up against any team, home or away, and I'll very much like this team's chances going into each of those games. We'll find out soon enough with games vs. the Rams, Chiefs, Chargers, and other tough games ahead.

I dont believe you. If your standards for the QB position is as high as anyones, you would not be ok with the playoff performances from Jimmy. Period. Was Jimmy horrible in all the playoff games? No. Was he bad in all the playoff games? No. But he literally has not played a single good game from start to finish in 6 games. That is indisputable, and unacceptable.

Hopefully Jimmy plays balls to the wall and has a great season this year. Playoffs included. But he needs to prove it.

Don't believe me, doesn't matter to me. Been following this team here in the Bay Area since '77 - that's at least as far back as I can remember watching football when I was young. I've watched every Niners game since then as football has always been far and away my favorite sport and the same for this team. I played the sport for awhile, too.

If you know football, you know it's not just the QB in any big game, especially the playoffs. It has to be good complementary football from a team in executing well. I said he didn't suck as 99 said in those playoff Ws. He didn't. Would I have liked to see him play better in each playoff game, especially down the stretch in the SB? Of course I would. But I have confidence he can do better in the playoffs, and the fact he has big-game & playoff experience, where he's performed very well in some very big games for this team that were key in them getting into those playoffs, is a big reason why I'm hopeful for this season as well. Especially with this D and ST unit. All three phases, complementary football...with Garoppolo as QB1, this team is extremely tough to beat.
Don't believe me, doesn't matter to me. Been following this team here in the Bay Area since '77 - that's at least as far back as I can remember watching football when I was young. I've watched every Niners game since then as football has always been far and away my favorite sport and the same for this team. I played the sport for awhile, too.

If you know football, you know it's not just the QB in any big game, especially the playoffs. It has to be good complementary football from a team in executing well. I said he didn't suck as 99 said in those playoff Ws. He didn't. Would I have liked to see him play better in each playoff game, especially down the stretch in the SB? Of course I would. But I have confidence he can do better in the playoffs, and the fact he has big-game & playoff experience, where he's performed very well in some very big games for this team that were key in them getting into those playoffs, is a big reason why I'm hopeful for this season as well. Especially with this D and ST unit. All three phases, complementary football...with Garoppolo as QB1, this team is extremely tough to beat.

I am not doubting that you have been a fan for a long time. I am doubting your standards for QB play if you are satisfied with how Jimmy has played in the playoffs. That's all.

I know Jimmy has won some big games for us, and was instrumental in plenty of them. If you would have focused on the totality of Jimmy's career with us, I wouldn't have responded. But you claimed your expectations for QBs are as high as anyone's, and I question that since you believe Jimmy's playoff games have been in any way close to meeting your standards for 49er quarterback play. Jimmy has repeatedly played below even his own standards, let alone the standards of Young and Montana.

You said Jimmy had some very good moments in all of the playoff games.

Having good moments in no way shape or form is meeting standards for QB play, especially since you wanted to bring Montana and Young into the equation of how you set your standards.
Our defense is good enough to take us far. We just need jimmy to protect the ball and hit some third down throws when needed. Our chances of making the playoffs went up with Jimmy, imo.

And the beautiful sideline throw to Aiyuk right after that (that he dropped). Really, the only negative was his high air mail ball on the move.

When it started dumping he started throwing lower to avoid his usual INT while still kind of giving his guy a chance.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 19, 2022 at 2:36 PM ]

I dont believe you. If your standards for the QB position is as high as anyones, you would not be ok with the playoff performances from Jimmy. Period. Was Jimmy horrible in all the playoff games? No. Was he bad in all the playoff games? No. But he literally has not played a single good game from start to finish in 6 games. That is indisputable, and unacceptable.

Hopefully Jimmy plays balls to the wall and has a great season this year. Playoffs included. But he needs to prove it.

In the post season, everyone bring their best, and it's where big time talent makes the key plays. It's the difference between having a trophy and not. We root for our team regardless who the QB is.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Our defense is good enough to take us far. We just need jimmy to protect the ball and hit some third down throws when needed. Our chances of making the playoffs went up with Jimmy, imo.

No doubt. Esp. with a potentially better secondary.

Remember, it's the defense that collapses in the playoffs after going up 2 scores in the 4Q. And then the rest of the team follows suit.

Nobody will bring energy to that topic though for some odd reason.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 19, 2022 at 2:39 PM ]

I am not doubting that you have been a fan for a long time. I am doubting your standards for QB play if you are satisfied with how Jimmy has played in the playoffs. That's all.

I know Jimmy has won some big games for us, and was instrumental in plenty of them. If you would have focused on the totality of Jimmy's career with us, I wouldn't have responded. But you claimed your expectations for QBs are as high as anyone's, and I question that since you believe Jimmy's playoff games have been in any way close to meeting your standards for 49er quarterback play. Jimmy has repeatedly played below even his own standards, let alone the standards of Young and Montana.

You said Jimmy had some very good moments in all of the playoff games.

Having good moments in no way shape or form is meeting standards for QB play, especially since you wanted to bring Montana and Young into the equation of how you set your standards.

If you think I was comparing Garoppolo's play in his playoff games to that of Montana and Young in the playoffs, you missed my point (or maybe I wasn't clear). I'm saying for the QB position itself as a whole is what I have very high standards based on what I've seen in the past, and Garoppolo's play gets minimized in here far too often, including in the playoffs. Have you watched each of his playoff games multiple times? Again, he wasn't great but did some very good things throughout in many of those Ws where the D had to account for him as well (and D Coordinators had tape on him from earlier that year when he was very good...they had to game plan for him, too, going into each game).

If you want to talk about QBs that have truly sucked in the playoffs, I could respond thoroughly but not interested in spending time on that and this isn't the right thread.
Originally posted by NDSU:
Its going to be epic in here if Jimmy gets hurt or sucks. Or should I say "when".

I remember when you said Zach Wilson done for the year CONFIRMED and to watch out for Christian Watson in the 2nd half of a game he was inactive.

Hoping this will be as accurate
Originally posted by NCommand:
And the beautiful sideline throw to Aiyuk right after that (that he dropped). .

That was one of the better throws of the day.
Originally posted by father49er:

In the post season, everyone bring their best, and it's where big time talent makes the key plays. It's the difference between having a trophy and not. We root for our team regardless who the QB is.

Funny how Mahomes and Stafford both had enough time to throw and our pass rush wasn't getting to them quick enough to affect their rhythm in the 4th quarter of the same games where Jimmy was getting manhandled by Chris Jones, who threw Mike Person to the side like a paper standee.

Then Von Miller and Aaron Donald were constantly getting by an injured Trent and patchwork interior line to the sides of Alex Mack. They couldn't hold their blocks long enough to give Jimmy enough time to throw. Our pass rush disappeared in the 4th quarter, so Stafford was completing the ball at will to Kupp and Beckham. And our run defense turned to crap as well. We were getting gashed up the middle because I think DJ Jones was injured earlier on in the game. There were lots of breakdowns happening all around Jimmy. I honestly think if Jimmy had been given enough time to throw, he would've closed out each game for a win. He already has one of the quickest releases in the league, so the fact that he was getting hit before or just as he was ready to throw means that our pass protection wasn't doing their job well enough. Or at least as well as the other team's line.

When he threw the late INT's in both games, he was just trying not to get sacked with the ball in his hand on 4th down. How is that so hard to understand? Again, if pass protection had actually kept him clean, he would've been able to throw the ball properly to where he had intended to go. The hope is that Burford and Banks get enough experience early on this season to become solid come playoff time.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I think you are right.
Share 49ersWebzone