LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 161 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Before talking about superbowl, let´s hope Jimmy last all season.
I don´t want to see him running up the middle another time this season.
If Jimmy is injured at some point, the season is dead.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Whitner's a believer

The defense is sick. Jimmy G can get us wins now.
He's had two great defenses before. But in the end… I guess we'll just blame the defense again?

How about a broken Trent Williams and subpar Daniel Brunskill. Not to mention James Hasty was horrible and Shanahan had no other RB's to go to. But yah I mean sure it was all Jimmy in thr NFCC.

Give me a break.

Dont forget Tom Compton @ RT vs Von Miller.

If Trey faced the same kind of pass rush Jimmy did the final quarter of the NFCCG, people would be preaching about how Kyle needs effing fix the OL.

The positive side is that the 3 we have in there right now seems to be a little better in pass pro.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Whitner's a believer

The defense is sick. Jimmy G can get us wins now.
He's had two great defenses before. But in the end… I guess we'll just blame the defense again?

How about a broken Trent Williams and subpar Daniel Brunskill. Not to mention James Hasty was horrible and Shanahan had no other RB's to go to. But yah I mean sure it was all Jimmy in thr NFCC.

Give me a break.

Don't for the torn shoulder and busted thumb and how that affected his game but he just kept his nose to the grindstone.

And 2019 didnt have anything to with our turnstyle Oline in the 4thQ and the big bear hands of some monster defender. But what would know?

Nope. Completely Jimmy's fault. He did his own pass blocking and also played both ways and at various times covered Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins on defense. No wonder he played so poorly. Poor guy was completely drained and wore out.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.

I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

I mean I like it too. It's exciting and it stresses a defense.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Plus it has a *potential* down side.
Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.
I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.

If the defense forces a 3 and out they aren't on the field long. Touchdowns on a short drive is always better than long sustained drives that end in nothing or field goals.

Good sensible post

Good sensible post

The only real problem with not being able to make the deep throws with consistency comes if the team falls behind by 2 or more scores and is forced to come back late. Fortunately the defense is good enough to keep most games close but we're playing some high powered teams this year that may force some come backs.

Good sensible post

+2. Nice to see in this thread.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

If the defense forces a 3 and out they aren't on the field long. Touchdowns on a short drive is always better than long sustained drives that end in nothing or field goals.

No one is arguing any different - you're acting like it's binary. Football is hard. For every huge chunk play down the field there's 3 misses or sacks.
I haven't looked at the stats in a few years but for a long time it was 80% of drives where there was a sack ended in a punt. You go out there and try and take deep shots and have to eat sacks or turnovers, you've done exactly what you said, put your defense right back on the field.

Kyle has talked about this in regards to his playcalling in HOU. "We scored a lot of points but we didn't win many games. I call plays differently now, thinking about how it affects the whole team".
He's saying, 3 long drives that end in 10 points is better than 3 short drives that has one home run for 7.

No one is arguing any different - you're acting like it's binary. Football is hard. For every huge chunk play down the field there's 3 misses or sacks.
I haven't looked at the stats in a few years but for a long time it was 80% of drives where there was a sack ended in a punt. You go out there and try and take deep shots and have to eat sacks or turnovers, you've done exactly what you said, put your defense right back on the field.

Kyle has talked about this in regards to his playcalling in HOU. "We scored a lot of points but we didn't win many games. I call plays differently now, thinking about how it affects the whole team".
He's saying, 3 long drives that end in 10 points is better than 3 short drives that has one home run for 7.

Oh I don't disagree. But there used to be all this praise for how Harbaugh ran things because we possessed the ball so much. Problem was they kicked too many damn field goals and it took one bad play by the D and the other team would be back in it. The first two drives Sunday weren't default good either. Gotta put it in the end zone. However that comes.

Time of Possession only really matters if you do something with it.

Which is why last year we literally were the #1 ranked team in yards/play but people dont associate out offense with being a high powered one
Originally posted by ritz126:

Which is why last year we literally were the #1 ranked team in yards/play but people dont associate out offense with being a high powered one

Just a guess, but maybe this is why we are so banged up, at least with our running backs?
Originally posted by 49erminion:
Originally posted by ritz126:

Just a guess, but maybe this is why we are so banged up, at least with our running backs?
adds a lot of wear on the defense when relying them to win 17+ games
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Oh I don't disagree. But there used to be all this praise for how Harbaugh ran things because we possessed the ball so much. Problem was they kicked too many damn field goals and it took one bad play by the D and the other team would be back in it. The first two drives Sunday weren't default good either. Gotta put it in the end zone. However that comes.

Time of Possession only really matters if you do something with it.

Do you guys think the Bills D cares when their offense scores in 3 plays or 14? I think a TD either way hypes them up. A quick TD by the offense will give them the "Let's get back to work" mentality. No one is like "Dammit they scored again so fast!"

I think having the ability to hit a deep ball is important. We've seen teams take away Jimmy's intermediate game and his struggles. Who knows i'm not counting out the deep ball with Jimmy. Some reports were saying his throwing shoulder will come back stronger after his surgery. Maybe he has more confidence in it. I also think he has nothing to lose and everything to gain if he starts taking more shots down field.
Share 49ersWebzone