LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 257 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.

I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

I mean I like it too. It's exciting and it stresses a defense.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Plus it has a *potential* down side.
Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.

You're going to have to explain to me and Emmanuel Sanders how missing him late in the 4th quarter of a SB Deep and Wide open to take the lead back didn't cost the team anything.

I said deep ball and people think I'm talking Madden. I mean the threat of a deep ball I know you don't throw it deep 20x a game, but defenses need to respect it and Jimmy throws about 4 a year. They dont worry about him going deep, he ignores guys one on one with a 50/50 deep ball every time.

Aside that fact, when you get into championship football I don't care how amazing your team is. There will come a point in the game where you QB NEEDS to make a throw and often it can be a deep shot. Jimmy has never done that. I don't see why that would change now.

I hope he has a f**k it attitude and plays lights out with instinct and not being timid, but I have seen Jimmy not see the right read or not throw it accurately too often to expect magical improvement.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.

If the defense forces a 3 and out they aren't on the field long. Touchdowns on a short drive is always better than long sustained drives that end in nothing or field goals.
Well obviously

But long sustained drives that end in touchdowns are always better than a 50 yard bomb that gets you to the 10 but then ends in nothing or a field goal.

I mean we can do this endlessly.
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.

You're going to have to explain to me and Emmanuel Sanders how missing him late in the 4th quarter of a SB Deep and Wide open to take the lead back didn't cost the team anything.

I said deep ball and people think I'm talking Madden. I mean the threat of a deep ball I know you don't throw it deep 20x a game, but defenses need to respect it and Jimmy throws about 4 a year. They dont worry about him going deep, he ignores guys one on one with a 50/50 deep ball every time.

Aside that fact, when you get into championship football I don't care how amazing your team is. There will come a point in the game where you QB NEEDS to make a throw and often it can be a deep shot. Jimmy has never done that. I don't see why that would change now.

I hope he has a f**k it attitude and plays lights out with instinct and not being timid, but I have seen Jimmy not see the right read or not throw it accurately too often to expect magical improvement.

It was only a small sample but we saw a different Jimmy Sunday. He dropped a 40-yard dime on BA along the far sideline that was dropped. It was not an easy catch but one Aiyuk will make most of the time. He also put up a 50/50 ball to Gray in the end zone. The placement could have been a bit better but it did send the message he is willing to put one up there. Denver will have those on film and they will influence the safeties come Sunday.

Let's hope we see more of those.
Originally posted by dj43:

It was only a small sample but we saw a different Jimmy Sunday. He dropped a 40-yard dime on BA along the far sideline that was dropped. It was not an easy catch but one Aiyuk will make most of the time. He also put up a 50/50 ball to Gray in the end zone. The placement could have been a bit better but it did send the message he is willing to put one up there. Denver will have those on film and they will influence the safeties come Sunday.

I honestly believe, and none of us know, that yes Jimmy left on his own will do those things more often.

It's been said and I see Marc Adams has a reply in his mailbag that Jimmy in 2017 was different than Jimmy ever since.

Yes that's post ACL. But it's also pre knowing all of Kyle's offense.

Only he and Kyle can answer that but I think it has much more to do with what Kyle wants Jimmy to do within his offense than it does with what Jimmy is willing or unwilling to do or able or unable to do. Maybe even in his own head. "If I mess up this throw deep it will mess everything else up."

I mean regardless of it's mental because of the ACL or mental because of what he's supposed to do in the offense one consistent observation with Jimmy is he's not playing the same way he did when he first got here. Not as loose and easy and confidently. Given that the ACL was a one time fluke thing back in 2018 I would tend to believe that's not it.

Didn't work quite as well in the playoffs, did it? You see, you may not have considered this, but playoff defenses tend to be better, which is why they are able to slow down the quick stiff over the middle in comparison to the regular season stuff. Which is why Jimmy's playoff passer rating is so abysmal.

If he was consistently accurate deep, however, the good defenses of the playoffs wouldn't have the luxury of ignoring the deep ball and clogging the middle.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

If the defense forces a 3 and out they aren't on the field long. Touchdowns on a short drive is always better than long sustained drives that end in nothing or field goals.

No one is arguing any different - you're acting like it's binary. Football is hard. For every huge chunk play down the field there's 3 misses or sacks.
I haven't looked at the stats in a few years but for a long time it was 80% of drives where there was a sack ended in a punt. You go out there and try and take deep shots and have to eat sacks or turnovers, you've done exactly what you said, put your defense right back on the field.

Kyle has talked about this in regards to his playcalling in HOU. "We scored a lot of points but we didn't win many games. I call plays differently now, thinking about how it affects the whole team".
He's saying, 3 long drives that end in 10 points is better than 3 short drives that has one home run for 7.

This is true. But the THREAT of the deep ball makes doing this easier.
Originally posted by Silky:
No one is arguing any different - you're acting like it's binary. Football is hard. For every huge chunk play down the field there's 3 misses or sacks.
I haven't looked at the stats in a few years but for a long time it was 80% of drives where there was a sack ended in a punt. You go out there and try and take deep shots and have to eat sacks or turnovers, you've done exactly what you said, put your defense right back on the field.

Kyle has talked about this in regards to his playcalling in HOU. "We scored a lot of points but we didn't win many games. I call plays differently now, thinking about how it affects the whole team".
He's saying, 3 long drives that end in 10 points is better than 3 short drives that has one home run for 7.

Oh I don't disagree. But there used to be all this praise for how Harbaugh ran things because we possessed the ball so much. Problem was they kicked too many damn field goals and it took one bad play by the D and the other team would be back in it. The first two drives Sunday weren't default good either. Gotta put it in the end zone. However that comes.

Time of Possession only really matters if you do something with it.

Do you guys think the Bills D cares when their offense scores in 3 plays or 14? I think a TD either way hypes them up. A quick TD by the offense will give them the "Let's get back to work" mentality. No one is like "Dammit they scored again so fast!"

I think having the ability to hit a deep ball is important. We've seen teams take away Jimmy's intermediate game and his struggles. Who knows i'm not counting out the deep ball with Jimmy. Some reports were saying his throwing shoulder will come back stronger after his surgery. Maybe he has more confidence in it. I also think he has nothing to lose and everything to gain if he starts taking more shots down field.
I think they did in last years playoffs......

But to the point - you guys are acting like we're some sort of low scoring offense. In 2021, with Lance being forced to play and the team scoring below our average, we still were 12th in points scored.
With Jimmy, between 2019 and 2021 we've average 27.4 PPG. That's hardly an anemic offense.
Let's put this in persective:
The 2021 PPG offenses -
Chiefs: 28.2 PPG
Chargers: 27.8
Bengals: 27
Rams: 27
Packers: 26.5

Jimmy G's average PPG in those seasons would have our offense as the #5 offense in the league last year and the Cowboys were the #1 offense in ppg with 31.2 - and we beat them.
So, I don't buy the, "we can't beat the high powered offenses" thing. WE ARE a high powered offense people just don't view it that way because of the way in which we do it. Some of y'all - not directed at you, Silky, act like we're the 2000 Ravens and just win by running the ball 1k times on the year and having a ridiculous defense.

We scored 27 points on Sunday, right at that Jimmy G average and y'all are acting worried that our offense is too easy to stop.

If it was so easy to stop a Jimmy G led offense then why does our offense put up so many points? Not just a few points, we're always a top team. If all they had to do was stop the short stuff, why does Jimmy still throw for 250/game? Doesn't make sense.
Originally posted by ritz126:

Which is why last year we literally were the #1 ranked team in yards/play but people dont associate out offense with being a high powered one

Jimmy was top ten in completed air yards. He is (or at least last year) not a simple dink and dunker. He throws a great deal of medium range passes, or at least passes in that 12-16 yard range.

But the threat of the deep ball helps the rest if the offense, which is why we all got to hope he improved that this off-season.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Originally posted by thl408:
I swear Jimmy threw more downfield this past Sunday than any one game in 2021. He even made a far hash throw to an Out route (DGray). He does not need to do this just to do it, but when it's there, do it. Aiyuk and Deebo seem like good contested catch type of WRs, and we saw the 49ers benefit from some defensive PI calls. I think his shoulder is feeling good, and this is him not having much work with the WRs this offseason.

It reminded me of the Jimmy that played the last 5 games of the season the year we traded for him. Just let it rip!

Basically it's JG with KS growing a pair. It's not like JG can't do it. KS has to let him play.

No, it isn't. It's JG growing a pair and taking chances. You aren't fooling people who can look at the plays and see that Jimmy has always chosen to take the shallower routes and ignore the deeper ones more often than not.
I honestly believe, and none of us know, that yes Jimmy left on his own will do those things more often.

It's been said and I see Marc Adams has a reply in his mailbag that Jimmy in 2017 was different than Jimmy ever since.

Only he and Kyle can answer that but I think it has much more to do with what Kyle wants Jimmy to do within his offense than it does with what Jimmy is willing or unwilling to do or able or unable to do. Maybe even in his own head. "If I mess up this throw deep it will mess everything else up."

I mean regardless of it's mental because of the ACL or mental because of what he's supposed to do in the offense one consistent observation with Jimmy is he's not playing the same way he did when he first got here. Not as loose and easy and confidently. Given that the ACL was a one time fluke thing back in 2018 I would tend to believe that's not it.

They took shots in 2019 though. It wasn't just over the middle. TD to Kittle vs the Packers. Bomb to Sanders against Saints. Bomb to Sanders to win against Rams. It was last year where that all went away. I don't buy that Kyle all of the sudden changed how he called things. Deep plays were there. Jimmy didn't take them.

The why only Jimmy knows. It's seems he lost confidence ever since the SB but i'm not in his head so I don't know..

Oh I don't disagree. But there used to be all this praise for how Harbaugh ran things because we possessed the ball so much. Problem was they kicked too many damn field goals and it took one bad play by the D and the other team would be back in it. The first two drives Sunday weren't default good either. Gotta put it in the end zone. However that comes.

Do you guys think the Bills D cares when their offense scores in 3 plays or 14? I think a TD either way hypes them up. A quick TD by the offense will give them the "Let's get back to work" mentality. No one is like "Dammit they scored again so fast!"

I think having the ability to hit a deep ball is important. We've seen teams take away Jimmy's intermediate game and his struggles. Who knows i'm not counting out the deep ball with Jimmy. Some reports were saying his throwing shoulder will come back stronger after his surgery. Maybe he has more confidence in it. I also think he has nothing to lose and everything to gain if he starts taking more shots down field.

But to the point - you guys are acting like we're some sort of low scoring offense. In 2021, with Lance being forced to play and the team scoring below our average, we still were 12th in points scored.
With Jimmy, between 2019 and 2021 we've average 27.4 PPG. That's hardly an anemic offense.
The 2021 PPG offenses -

Jimmy G's average PPG in those seasons would have our offense as the #5 offense in the league last year and the Cowboys were the #1 offense in ppg with 31.2 - and we beat them.
So, I don't buy the, "we can't beat the high powered offenses" thing. WE ARE a high powered offense people just don't view it that way because of the way in which we do it. Some of y'all - not directed at you, Silky, act like we're the 2000 Ravens and just win by running the ball 1k times on the year and having a ridiculous defense.

We scored 27 points on Sunday, right at that Jimmy G average and y'all are acting worried that our offense is too easy to stop.

If it was so easy to stop a Jimmy G led offense then why does our offense put up so many points? Not just a few points, we're always a top team. If all they had to do was stop the short stuff, why does Jimmy still throw for 250/game? Doesn't make sense.

Because the offense has been upgraded. Wait till Kittle and Mitchell comes back... SB run baby and the upgraded D is top tier even without Jimmie Ward yet. This is a SB roster overall. Better than Lambs, Bucs, Chiefs, Bills as long as the QB (Trey and now Jimmy) does his job and help score points and minimize mistakes such as ints.

Bosa is not stupid and is right and he knows the team is prime for another SB run since losing last season in the NFCC though they already had beaten the Lambs 2x and the Bengals.

They got to get it done.
LAST CHANCE JIMMY, MAKE IT WORTH WHILE 🤣
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Sep 21, 2022 at 11:16 AM ]

The 2021 PPG offenses -

Jiimy G Reg season > Jimmy G playoffs

no one has an issue during the reg season, it's the playoffs where you need to score points.
Originally posted by dj43:

This is false and I KNOW it. Want to know how? (1) Shanahan said (paraphrasing) you'd always prefer the QB to throw to the open deep guy than the short guy, but if it's completed and move the chains, what are you gonna complain to the QB about?
(2) We can SEE THE FILM OURSELVES and see open guys down field not thrown to.

Shanahan is not preventing Jimmy from throwing deep.

The 2021 PPG offenses -

Never said it was an anemic offense. But it can be very limited when Jimmy doesn't take ALL the plays that are available. Sunday was the first time since 2019 where I felt he really was aggressive. Even when he didn't execute the deep throw to Gray well at least he took it. That's a huge thing.

My initial response had far more to do with the idea that you have to keep your defense rested by holding the ball. I disagree. You need to score the most points you can however you can. This defense should be able to get off the field most of the time so I want the playing with as big a leads as possible so the pass rush can feast.

The 2021 PPG offenses -

1D% > CAY in terms of correlation with winning. Few things are more important than moving the chains.
Share 49ersWebzone