Cardinals stun turnover-plagued 49ers 24-23 after second-half comeback →

There are 387 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
But don't some of you do the same when you post three plays from twitter and act like that's Jimmy's career.

Think that works both ways…it's either the good plays which the "over the top Jimmy fans" seem to act like that's the normal or it's the bad plays which the "move on from Jimmy crowd" jump too.

maybe just maybe it's somewhere in the middle. Kinda like where Jimmy is within the pecking order of starting QBs in the league?

Funny how that works isnt it?
Jimmy do work on SNF! I'll root for you as long as you are in SF. I will also be objective and know he's an avg starting NFL QB, which isn't horrible but the truth. Either way we got some pretty bad QB play across the league and guys starting that have no business being starters. Jimmy is a starter.

when Trey comes back, I will root for him to succeed and understand it's a process. You don't wake up and magically become a great pocket passing QB. It will require reps and getting through all of it. Let's be objective about all of it and understand the process. I would think there's room for 49er fans to support both.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
But don't some of you do the same when you post three plays from twitter and act like that's Jimmy's career.

Think that works both ways…it's either the good plays which the "over the top Jimmy fans" seem to act like that's the normal or it's the bad plays which the "move on from Jimmy crowd" jump too.

maybe just maybe it's somewhere in the middle. Kinda like where Jimmy is within the pecking order of starting QBs in the league?

Funny how that works isnt it?

Yeah I mean imo he's a starting QB in the NFL just not some top tier guy that you're gonna extend for big money. I think we can win games with him, but contending with the big dogs in the AFC? We need a little more from that position imo. Either way I will root for him while he's here. I will root for Lance when he's the starter next yr and understand it's a process…like a lot of s**t in life.
Jimmy do work on SNF! I'll root for you as long as you are in SF. I will also be objective and know he's an avg starting NFL QB, which isn't horrible but the truth. Either way we got some pretty bad QB play across the league and guys starting that have no business being starters. Jimmy is a starter.

when Trey comes back, I will root for him to succeed and understand it's a process. You don't wake up and magically become a great pocket passing QB. It will require reps and getting through all of it. Let's be objective about all of it and understand the process. I would think there's room for 49er fans to support both.

We on Sunday night this week?
Some have mentioned it before, and this was my thought as well even before the Seahacks game, but, yes, what if his shoulder surgery has provided him with a bit more power and comfort (remember Jim Morris lulz).

If anything it's subtle but will definitely give him more confidence and he seemed to throw with zip last Sun. Just stay healthy Jimbo.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.

I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

I mean I like it too. It's exciting and it stresses a defense.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Plus it has a *potential* down side.
Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.

You're going to have to explain to me and Emmanuel Sanders how missing him late in the 4th quarter of a SB Deep and Wide open to take the lead back didn't cost the team anything.

I said deep ball and people think I'm talking Madden. I mean the threat of a deep ball I know you don't throw it deep 20x a game, but defenses need to respect it and Jimmy throws about 4 a year. They dont worry about him going deep, he ignores guys one on one with a 50/50 deep ball every time.

Aside that fact, when you get into championship football I don't care how amazing your team is. There will come a point in the game where you QB NEEDS to make a throw and often it can be a deep shot. Jimmy has never done that. I don't see why that would change now.

I hope he has a f**k it attitude and plays lights out with instinct and not being timid, but I have seen Jimmy not see the right read or not throw it accurately too often to expect magical improvement.

It was only a small sample but we saw a different Jimmy Sunday. He dropped a 40-yard dime on BA along the far sideline that was dropped. It was not an easy catch but one Aiyuk will make most of the time. He also put up a 50/50 ball to Gray in the end zone. The placement could have been a bit better but it did send the message he is willing to put one up there. Denver will have those on film and they will influence the safeties come Sunday.

Let's hope we see more of those.

I honestly believe, and none of us know, that yes Jimmy left on his own will do those things more often.

It's been said and I see Marc Adams has a reply in his mailbag that Jimmy in 2017 was different than Jimmy ever since.

Yes that's post ACL. But it's also pre knowing all of Kyle's offense.

Only he and Kyle can answer that but I think it has much more to do with what Kyle wants Jimmy to do within his offense than it does with what Jimmy is willing or unwilling to do or able or unable to do. Maybe even in his own head. "If I mess up this throw deep it will mess everything else up."

I mean regardless of it's mental because of the ACL or mental because of what he's supposed to do in the offense one consistent observation with Jimmy is he's not playing the same way he did when he first got here. Not as loose and easy and confidently. Given that the ACL was a one time fluke thing back in 2018 I would tend to believe that's not it.

This is false and I KNOW it. Want to know how? (1) Shanahan said (paraphrasing) you'd always prefer the QB to throw to the open deep guy than the short guy, but if it's completed and move the chains, what are you gonna complain to the QB about?
(2) We can SEE THE FILM OURSELVES and see open guys down field not thrown to.

Shanahan is not preventing Jimmy from throwing deep.

Alright, calm down there, buddy.
Here's some nuggets for you since people seem to think I'm not being honest about this. Many of the "deep" throws in Kyle's playbook are "alerts". They're triggered by certain conditions and ONLY by certain conditions. An alert is usually that you only look that way if there's a busted coverage.

FYI, these are all out of the 5-7 step drop portion of his playbook which is only half the passes. The rest are 3 step drop of play-action.

Here you see the corner routes are Alerts and the go route is a coverage adjustment route only against C2 zone

This is Kyle's version of Martz's Short post concept. The outside routes are Alerts and only verticals as coverage adjustments to run a vertical vs C2 zone

Even on a Go+Shade the Go is only an Alert

These are only a few examples but what you see in the VAST MAJORITY of our plays. If we're throwing the Alert, it's got to be triggered by the conditions established by KS himself or a busted coverage. On an Alert, even then the QB is to peak quick and if he doesn't like it move on but NEVER let it disrupt the timing of the primary progression.
For example, If you see press-man on an Z stream, you check to make sure the D didn't bust the late motion and if they didn't you move on to your progression. It'll be super fast.

My comment was to Ohioniner, not you. I am not sure of the custom here, but as I understand it, the last person in the quote chain is usually the one being responded to on most websites. But this has happened a couple of times here so I'm wondering if people think that if they are in the chain of quotes that the most recent comment is to them.

Anyway, as far as these random plays, Shanahan generally has a progression offense, and we can see on the tape when a guy is open down the field and the short pass is taken. For example:

I really, really hope you're not arguing that the above isn't real. It happened, and it happens frequently. Like last year on the Texans on the pa boot to the left where Trey through the deep cross while everyone knows Jimmy would have taken the throw to the tight end.

So I will say unequivocally that Shanahan is NOT why Jimmy throws it short so often. That's Jimmy's reads most of the time; and they are not always the ideal read, even if they are safer.

Well a couple things, it's not like we haven't seen Jimmy throw the corner-post and Trey threw it because the middle safety was out of position. Surely, since you played QB you know that a safety can be in position or out of position on a deep post and still be back deep.

Your post from Jack, whom I will admit I'm friendly with Jack, but it's 2 different coverages. One is C3 sky the other is C3 cloud. The safety in sky is shaded to the double post/in side so the throwing lane isn't there. The clouds the late rotation of the middle safety opens up the play.

In go+Shade we've seen Jimmy throw the high cross a bunch of times - it's actually a route people use as the "Jimmy only throws over the middle" thing. He's thrown it to Kittle on these umpteen million times. It's a hi/lo read on the WILL as it crosses the face of the middle safety or a hi/lo on the MIKE in C2.

Did you read Lombardis article when he talked to Jimmy at his locker after the game and then asked him about it in his presser?

He said Jimmy was THRILLED to push the ball down the field in the last game. Then Lombardi followed up on it in the presser, Jimmy said, "yeah like we were talking about earlier felt more like 2017 when it was go out there, throw it and make plays. That's different from what we normally do around here, but sometimes you need that."

Everything I've read from Shanahan and see from his QB's, all of them, and the playbook is very structured.

Ultimately this comes down to the delicate balance of recognizing Kyle is a control-freak within his offense, which shouldn't shock anyone, vs. trying to weed out how much control/freedom his QB (Jimmy) really has within it.

Jimmy's own quotes over the years give great insight into that. In fact, Kyle's own quotes saying Jimmy had a good game in post game interviews (when we as fans may think otherwise) gives more credence to Jimmy doing what he's instructed within the play designs.

Kyle's head is buried in his playbook and playsheet. This is who he is. He controls every aspect of the offensive personnel and how it operates. It's why we hired him!

But I have this sneaky suspicion Kyle is about to let go a tad and let Jimmy incorporate his own style and preference even more now. Less blind PA's, more receiving options out there, etc. We'll see!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2022 at 7:29 AM ]

Yup! Was gonna try to go to that game but I got family visiting this weekend.

Yup! Was gonna try to go to that game but I got family visiting this weekend.

Nice, hope puffer still gets the late games. Cant remember
Originally posted by 49erminion:
Some have mentioned it before, and this was my thought as well even before the Seahacks game, but, yes, what if his shoulder surgery has provided him with a bit more power and comfort (remember Jim Morris lulz).

If anything it's subtle but will definitely give him more confidence and he seemed to throw with zip last Sun. Just stay healthy Jimbo.

I mean I saw nothing different. He attempted some deeper throws which is nice. A couple underthrows and some inaccurate passes all the same. Jimmy is who he is, which isn't awful or great. Like I expected with Lance the roster around will do work and Jimmy will play his part.

Hopefully the run game doesn't get stagnant again (like end of last yr ) with him under center.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ultimately this comes down to the delicate balance of recognizing Kyle is a control-freak within his offense, which shouldn't shock anyone, vs. trying to weed out how much control/freedom his QB (Jimmy) really has within it.

Jimmy's own quotes over the years give great insight into that. In fact, Kyle's own quotes saying Jimmy had a good game in post game interviews (when we as fans may think otherwise) gives more credence to Jimmy doing what he's instructed within the play designs.

Kyle's head is buried in his playbook and playsheet. This is who he is. He controls every aspect of the offensive personnel and how it operates. It's why we hired him!

But I have this sneaky suspicion Kyle is about to let go a tad and let Jimmy incorporate his own style and preference even more now. Less blind PA's, more receiving options out there, etc. We'll see!

Mike was the same way. Steve said he used to call him, Mike "go over it one more time" Shanahan because he would sit there and hammer in the exact way to react to each and every situation with Steve. They'd go through the play calls, this is the read vs this, this is the read vs this, this is the read vs this for 300 plays. They went through it twice the morning before the super bowl. Steve said it was like Rain man.

• thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

Mike was the same way. Steve said he used to call him, Mike "go over it one more time" Shanahan because he would sit there and hammer in the exact way to react to each and every situation with Steve. They'd go through the play calls, this is the read vs this, this is the read vs this, this is the read vs this for 300 plays. They went through it twice the morning before the super bowl. Steve said it was like Rain man.

I don't understand how this makes a coach a control freak. Are there coaches that tell their QB, "if it's Cover2 do this and this, but if you don't want to then that's okay too".
Pass plays have adjustments and progressions and reads built into them. There are route conversions by the WRs, hot routes where if it's a blitz then adjust the play accordingly.
Originally posted by BangBang49er:
Imagine being so amazingly bitter and negative after a win against a divisional foe. Can't even be positive for a week even though after a loss guys like Uncle Rico spent all week making excuses, some of them rightfully so. Then you guys get all defensive when people call you haters because you can't even give the guy a single compliment after a good win. Instead, after a good win it's in your nature to just have to bring the guy down and be negative.

This is every week with you certain guys. You were even this way after playoff wins. I understand Jimmy is faaaaaaar from perfect but can't you give a little credit for once? Why must a few of you always just tear the guy down? And I'm not sitting here saying that Jimmy doesn't have some glaring flaws and that he doesn't deserve criticism but he also has some damn good traits too that have helped us win a lot of games. It'd be nice if we could focus on those for once...after a win.
I got mocked by you people (EDIT—while being right, mind you). Somehow you seem to not have noticed that.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Sep 22, 2022 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by dj43:
Until I see Jimmy tossing it deep with accuracy i expect the same results as previous seasons. Assuming he stays healthy himself.

I get it, everyone now is enamored with the deep ball. Kinda like the old "Chicks dig the long ball" baseball commercials.

I mean I like it too. It's exciting and it stresses a defense.

However, much like a home run you only get so many opportunities to even do it in a game and yeah you don't want to miss on it when you do.

Plus it has a *potential* down side.
Trey Lance let's say completes the pass he did to Danny Gray in the preseason and it's the same result. Their defense wasn't on the field very long and ours is right back on the field. Of course the seven points are nice.

Jimmy dinks and dunks and we get some run game mixed in and we still get seven while keeping their defense on the field and ours off of it.

It would be nice if his deep ball improves. But aside from that he just needs to do what he does as well as he can. We didn't win or lose, didn't lose a Super Bowl because of his deep ball accuracy or lack thereof. Yes he overthrew Sanders. But that was no more the sole cause of the loss than Tartt dropping the pick last year.

You're going to have to explain to me and Emmanuel Sanders how missing him late in the 4th quarter of a SB Deep and Wide open to take the lead back didn't cost the team anything.

I said deep ball and people think I'm talking Madden. I mean the threat of a deep ball I know you don't throw it deep 20x a game, but defenses need to respect it and Jimmy throws about 4 a year. They dont worry about him going deep, he ignores guys one on one with a 50/50 deep ball every time.

Aside that fact, when you get into championship football I don't care how amazing your team is. There will come a point in the game where you QB NEEDS to make a throw and often it can be a deep shot. Jimmy has never done that. I don't see why that would change now.

I hope he has a f**k it attitude and plays lights out with instinct and not being timid, but I have seen Jimmy not see the right read or not throw it accurately too often to expect magical improvement.

It was only a small sample but we saw a different Jimmy Sunday. He dropped a 40-yard dime on BA along the far sideline that was dropped. It was not an easy catch but one Aiyuk will make most of the time. He also put up a 50/50 ball to Gray in the end zone. The placement could have been a bit better but it did send the message he is willing to put one up there. Denver will have those on film and they will influence the safeties come Sunday.

Let's hope we see more of those.

I honestly believe, and none of us know, that yes Jimmy left on his own will do those things more often.

It's been said and I see Marc Adams has a reply in his mailbag that Jimmy in 2017 was different than Jimmy ever since.

Yes that's post ACL. But it's also pre knowing all of Kyle's offense.

Only he and Kyle can answer that but I think it has much more to do with what Kyle wants Jimmy to do within his offense than it does with what Jimmy is willing or unwilling to do or able or unable to do. Maybe even in his own head. "If I mess up this throw deep it will mess everything else up."

I mean regardless of it's mental because of the ACL or mental because of what he's supposed to do in the offense one consistent observation with Jimmy is he's not playing the same way he did when he first got here. Not as loose and easy and confidently. Given that the ACL was a one time fluke thing back in 2018 I would tend to believe that's not it.

This is false and I KNOW it. Want to know how? (1) Shanahan said (paraphrasing) you'd always prefer the QB to throw to the open deep guy than the short guy, but if it's completed and move the chains, what are you gonna complain to the QB about?
(2) We can SEE THE FILM OURSELVES and see open guys down field not thrown to.

Alright, calm down there, buddy.
Here's some nuggets for you since people seem to think I'm not being honest about this. Many of the "deep" throws in Kyle's playbook are "alerts". They're triggered by certain conditions and ONLY by certain conditions. An alert is usually that you only look that way if there's a busted coverage.

FYI, these are all out of the 5-7 step drop portion of his playbook which is only half the passes. The rest are 3 step drop of play-action.

Here you see the corner routes are Alerts and the go route is a coverage adjustment route only against C2 zone

This is Kyle's version of Martz's Short post concept. The outside routes are Alerts and only verticals as coverage adjustments to run a vertical vs C2 zone

Even on a Go Shade the Go is only an Alert

These are only a few examples but what you see in the VAST MAJORITY of our plays. If we're throwing the Alert, it's got to be triggered by the conditions established by KS himself or a busted coverage. On an Alert, even then the QB is to peak quick and if he doesn't like it move on but NEVER let it disrupt the timing of the primary progression.
For example, If you see press-man on an Z stream, you check to make sure the D didn't bust the late motion and if they didn't you move on to your progression. It'll be super fast.

Phenomenal post and super insightful. Makes total sense as we never attack deep in most games. I'm disappointed to see this but not surprising.

He posted a few plays. Jimmy passes up deep passes to throw short. That's a fact, no matter what johnnydel says regarding this. It's a fact of reality. All he has done is point out an irrelevant side note about plays that he selected which have a short first read and an alert deep, and then argued that all Shanahan plays are like that. Meanwhile he posted one with a deep post as the primary read, which undermines the argument you guys think he's making.

It is glaringly obvious that Jonnydel knows much more about the game than you think you do, lol.

It is glaringly obvious that you worship him because he tells you what you want to hear. HIS OWN IMAGE included a play where the first read is down the field.

If he believes that Shanahan is why the Shanahan scheme throws more short passes with Jimmy than it has with Ryan, Lance or Mullens, he is wrong.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Sep 22, 2022 at 8:19 AM ]
Love him or hate him, you have to respect him. He's a class act, great teammate, and obviously not a pouty primadonna. Good for Jimmy and much better for the 49ers than Sudfeld.
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on
Share 49ersWebzone