There are 453 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Silky,

While I don't have a problem with anyone calling out NY for that statement. I think the statement is pretty fair if it's a comment about the past, if it's for this season, yes it's entirety possible Jimmy elevates his game to be considered elite, so you could make the argument that it's not being objective in the present.

My problem is that the poster who called NY out makes the exact same mistake that he claims NY did. He contributes to definitive claims about Trey, and ignores the egregious ones like Trey's a bust, Trey wouldn't have made the playoffs, and then simultaneously he's the king of fairness for Jimmy. It's so incredibly hypocritical and yet people gobble that s**t up like it's fair and reasonable.

Can we just stop making "factual" claims that we cannot prove? I will indeed call out posters who make claims that Trey would have played better than Jimmy going forward, and all while knowing how many posters will claim it's a fact Jimmy will perform better than Trey. You cannot prove either of those statements. And yet only one is socially acceptable on this board.

Absolutely. The reality is there is no basis for anyone saying they know how Trey would play as there is not a large enough sample. It's the definition of an unknown.

Jimmy is not an unknown. There is lots of data. It's not being a "hater" to question can he be better than he has been.

I want Jimmy to play better. I also want Trey to succeed when it's his turn. It's how every 9er fan should be feeling.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 22, 2022 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by dioworld:
Jimmy hater fake 9ers fan their opinion don't matter. You can tell at the vegas odd if he's good or not. Those are professional that knows what they doing, not keyboard warriors opinions

I would encourage you to avoid gambling, seeing as you have no idea how Vegas works.

As for JG, I am disappointed he stayed. Had he left, I would have had 15+ weeks of free Sundays.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Just like the O line thread and harping about not bringing the QB into it. Lets keep this about the QB.

You don't think Mahomes or Allen would still thrive as passers if they were in the Shanny system and the run game wasn't working?

Even in a run first system, there are going to be games that you need to depend on your QB to carry the offense when the run game isn't working.

I am. I'm saying if you took the passing game away from higher end QB's like the aforementioned, could the TEAM win by playing to their weakness? It's all about how you're built. Your strengths. We just saw Stafford play under identical circumstances to Jimmy in the NFCCG, who isn't as talented, completely s**t the bed and could only score 10 points. Could the Rams just switch gears and win with the running game if their passing game is shut down?

That's what you're saying here. If we have to play outside our formula and how this team is built, of course we're less likely to win. They don't spend countless hours in the passing game like a pass centric offense would do.

I don't see this as a Jimmy stat but how a team is constructed to win.

Not even kind of true

Same exact pressure rate and same low ypc.

But if you feel the need to continue to defend Stafford, go for it you Rams fan.

I don't give a s**t about the pressure rate. The ram OL play game one was nothing close to the niner OL play in the NFCCG. Was infinitely worse and not one unbiased person would think otherwise . No need for exaggerated takes ti try and defend a position

True. They only had a 38% pressure rate. Jimmy had 41% through all of the playoffs.

And Stafford, like Jimmy, couldn't escape that pressure and many of them turned into sacks. Jimmy's usually turn into big hits and INT's (he never throws it away).

Here you go with pressure rates again. I'll use one of your lines from years ago before you shifted to pressure rates as the barometer. "Well what actually constitutes a pressure? Seems very subjective"
if you are seriously trying to say with a straight face that the OL play were comparable, then you are being disingenuous.

Hence why myself and 9ers4eva provided references to two different stats. Case in point.

But the POINT is, nobody has found one game where a QB had that much pressure (38%+) with no running game, yet you both STILL have the exact same expectations that Jimmy should have still transformed that in the NFCCG. And he's a lesser talent.

And when I showed you a more talented QB couldn't do it either, the same one who many thought had we switched QB's in the NFCCG, we'd have won, he actually scored 7 less points than Jimmy and this offense.

My argument all along was, you need to look at the same scenarios if you're going to swap QB's in a hypothetical. I said Stafford probably would have folded under the same situation. And now we know that's a fact.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I showed you 38%. But anything over 25% is massive duress so it's pretty moot. Can't run? Can't pass?

Can't win.

Unless your Stafford IN THE ACTUAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

He only had 25% through the playoffs and that's after facing our top defense; one that raises every QB's pressure rate significantly.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Makes sense. If hes not getting carried we lose.

And when he's not our starting qb, we lose more than win. Team sports are like that.
Just like the O line thread and harping about not bringing the QB into it. Lets keep this about the QB.

You don't think Mahomes or Allen would still thrive as passers if they were in the Shanny system and the run game wasn't working?

Even in a run first system, there are going to be games that you need to depend on your QB to carry the offense when the run game isn't working.

I am. I'm saying if you took the passing game away from higher end QB's like the aforementioned, could the TEAM win by playing to their weakness? It's all about how you're built. Your strengths. We just saw Stafford play under identical circumstances to Jimmy in the NFCCG, who isn't as talented, completely s**t the bed and could only score 10 points. Could the Rams just switch gears and win with the running game if their passing game is shut down?

That's what you're saying here. If we have to play outside our formula and how this team is built, of course we're less likely to win. They don't spend countless hours in the passing game like a pass centric offense would do.

Not even kind of true

Same exact pressure rate and same low ypc.

But if you feel the need to continue to defend Stafford, go for it you Rams fan.

I don't give a s**t about the pressure rate. The ram OL play game one was nothing close to the niner OL play in the NFCCG. Was infinitely worse and not one unbiased person would think otherwise . No need for exaggerated takes ti try and defend a position

True. They only had a 38% pressure rate. Jimmy had 41% through all of the playoffs.

And Stafford, like Jimmy, couldn't escape that pressure and many of them turned into sacks. Jimmy's usually turn into big hits and INT's (he never throws it away).

Here you go with pressure rates again. I'll use one of your lines from years ago before you shifted to pressure rates as the barometer. "Well what actually constitutes a pressure? Seems very subjective"
if you are seriously trying to say with a straight face that the OL play were comparable, then you are being disingenuous.

Hence why myself and 9ers4eva provided references to two different stats. Case in point.

But the POINT is, nobody has found one game where a QB had that much pressure (38%+) with no running game, yet you both STILL have the exact same expectations that Jimmy should have still transformed that in the NFCCG. And he's a lesser talent.

And when I showed you a more talented QB couldn't do it either, the same one who many thought had we switched QB's in the NFCCG, we'd have won, he actually scored 7 less points than Jimmy and this offense.

My argument all along was, you need to look at the same scenarios if you're going to swap QB's in a hypothetical. I said Stafford probably would have folded under the same situation. And now we know that's a fact.

lol. We've officially hit the NC exaggerated takes potion of the day
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

idk.. We're built with better pass catching options than runners..

But we don't access them like a pass centric team. At best, Kyle will draw up one receiver per game. With our league leading rushing attempts, there's only room for one primary. Sometimes Kyle highlights Kittle, other times its Deebo or Aiyuk. But Kyle isn't taking rushing snaps away to increase passing attempts just to get 2 receivers to 100+ yards each. It can still happen but usually, it's outside "the winning formula."
but we don't have a Qb to go pass centric. What other stints has Kyle done this much juggling and creating new plays/postions, keeping his best pass catchers in to block to win ?

Kyle, the HC, just spent 2 years INCREASING the running game with a handpicked QB. So maybe that was just Kyle the OC with players he inherited while trying to make a name for himself in hopes of becoming a HC some day?
how did he increase the run game more than the years prior ?

But it wasnt the same scenario and you know it.

But it wasnt the same scenario and you know it.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on

He is available and he wins.

Those are what concern me.
beating inferior teams is fun in all, but he doesn't win when it counts due to his limitations and constant mistakes

i really hope he can change that this year, but it's year 6 now

He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.
a ton of games that count.. would mean we won 2 SBs at least

i agree the team is good enough, but not good enough to win without the QB showing up.

So you're going to ignore that in the Superbowl our defense collapsed and gave up a ten point lead and the offensive line couldn't block all of the sudden? Or that our defense couldn't stop the Rams, or that the offensive line that let Jimmy get hurt in the first place couldn't block the Rams to save their lives? If you ignore those facts, it proves you either don't understand football, or you are pushing an agenda.

Stafford is infinitely tougher than Jimmy G.

I showed you 38%. But anything over 25% is massive duress so it's pretty moot. Can't run? Can't pass?

Can't win.

Unless your Stafford IN THE ACTUAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Nah that doesn't count since he pivoted when presented with that threw out some caveat about "well i really meant was the last few drives of the game" 🤣
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on

He is available and he wins.

Those are what concern me.
beating inferior teams is fun in all, but he doesn't win when it counts due to his limitations and constant mistakes

i really hope he can change that this year, but it's year 6 now

He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.
a ton of games that count.. would mean we won 2 SBs at least

i agree the team is good enough, but not good enough to win without the QB showing up.

So you're going to ignore that in the Superbowl our defense collapsed and gave up a ten point lead and the offensive line couldn't block all of the sudden? Or that our defense couldn't stop the Rams, or that the offensive line that let Jimmy get hurt in the first place couldn't block the Rams to save their lives? If you ignore those facts, it proves you either don't understand football, or you are pushing an agenda.
i'm not ignoring anything. you do know the offense gets the ball back after the defense gave up points right ?

All the film has been exhaustedly shown here how Jimmy had time to throw, had wide open options to throw to.. had everything to get the job done, but shat the bed

like i said it's fun to beat inferior teams, but when it counts.. it's really painful to watch
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Makes sense. If hes not getting carried we lose.

And when he's not our starting qb, we lose more than win. Team sports are like that.

The QB dictates if an offense can be pass centric. If you look around the league at all the run heavy offenses, Jimmy is a notch above all of those QB's. But if you put Jimmy on a pass centric offense, I can't see him putting up elite QB stats. The reason is because of his inability to make defenses pay for cheating on the shorter routes like the elite QB's are capable of. Jimmy relies on the running game to keep defenses honest. All elite QB's are capable of running that same short rhythmic passing game that Jimmy thrives in. Where the elite QB's separate themselves from Jimmy is their ability to blow the top off of defenses.
The QB dictates if an offense can be pass centric. If you look around the league at all the run heavy offenses, Jimmy is a notch above all of those QB's. But if you put Jimmy on a pass centric offense, I can't see him putting up elite QB stats. The reason is because of his inability to make defenses pay for cheating on the shorter routes like the elite QB's are capable of. Jimmy relies on the running game to keep defenses honest. All elite QB's are capable of running that same short rhythmic passing game that Jimmy thrives in. Where the elite QB's separate themselves from Jimmy is their ability to blow the top off of defenses.

He's also quite a few notches above Brian Hoyer, CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens
Share 49ersWebzone