Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on

He is available and he wins.

Those are what concern me.
beating inferior teams is fun in all, but he doesn't win when it counts due to his limitations and constant mistakes

i really hope he can change that this year, but it's year 6 now

He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.
a ton of games that count.. would mean we won 2 SBs at least

i agree the team is good enough, but not good enough to win without the QB showing up.

The QB played good enough to win a SB already.
apparently not good enough
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Contract details online - Lance signed a 34 million contract, out of which, seems like 24+ million is already paid out. The next two seasons ('23 and '24) the 49ers owe him a total of 8 million (3 & 5), which is not much in the big scheme. My guess is he will be the backup, at least for '23. The '24 season is a bit way, don't know.

Talk about completely botching the QB situation. If he is the backup next year, and especially in 24' heads need to roll.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 22, 2022 at 1:55 PM ]
You don't think if we had Stafford in the NFCCG, the Rams wouldn't have had to respect our passing game more and that wouldn't have opened up the run game at all? I find that difficult to believe.

I think it's bad faith argument to force the same "running effectiveness" rule when swapping QBs. When every football fan knows that running and passing is a symbiotic relationship and heavily influence each other. If they have to account for a significant passing threat, there is less bandwidth to control the run. It's basic football.

If swapped QBs, my opinion is we blow out the rams in the NFCCG.
[ Edited by Garce on Sep 22, 2022 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Makes sense. If hes not getting carried we lose.

And when he's not our starting qb, we lose more than win. Team sports are like that.

The QB dictates if an offense can be pass centric. If you look around the league at all the run heavy offenses, Jimmy is a notch above all of those QB's. But if you put Jimmy on a pass centric offense, I can't see him putting up elite QB stats. The reason is because of his inability to make defenses pay for cheating on the shorter routes like the elite QB's are capable of. Jimmy relies on the running game to keep defenses honest. All elite QB's are capable of running that same short rhythmic passing game that Jimmy thrives in. Where the elite QB's separate themselves from Jimmy is their ability to blow the top off of defenses.

I genuinely hope we get this guy because I want to see it so badly with Kyle in his offense today. LOL

Jimmy was pretty successful in a spread offense. That's QB centric. But who knows if he'd find success like that in the NFL if he went to another team that had a spread offense for 17+ games. I could certainly see an argument against that.

We almost had "that guy" in Kirk Cousins. LOL

Jimmy may have thrived in a spread offense in college but I find it hard to believe he would find extensive success if he ran one in the NFL. Again, he would be limited because of his ability to push the ball down field when neccessary. Same thing with Alex Smith. He ran alot of spread in KC with Andy Reid but when teams forced him to go vertical at a high rate, they would lose. That was the main reason why they drafted Pat Mahomes. I honestly believe that Jimmy is in an offense that best fits his skillset. But when the rushing attack isn't on its game, Jimmy has shown to be less affective and his record reflects that. Now, should Kyle go spread more often when the run game isn't working? That is a real question to ponder.

Oof. You just triggered so many fans and Kyle himself. LOL

You don't get drafted in the top of the second round if you're not talented. And the spread offense and his fit/success was a big reason for this.

But to your point, at the NFL level, "comfort" is different than finding "success." Jimmy could be way more comfortable in a spread offense but not find a ton of success in it esp. over time. All we have for evidence is college and a few snaps in NE. His whole career has been here.

As to the bold, I would just love to see it because I want to see Kyle loosen up a bit and I always want to see a player perform in a position of comfort...and it's not like we don't have the skill position weapons. The only question you and I would have would be the PP but the emphasis to get rid of it <2.7s could still be employed but with more receiving weapons to choose from.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2022 at 1:53 PM ]
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on

He is available and he wins.

Those are what concern me.
beating inferior teams is fun in all, but he doesn't win when it counts due to his limitations and constant mistakes

i really hope he can change that this year, but it's year 6 now

He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.
a ton of games that count.. would mean we won 2 SBs at least

i agree the team is good enough, but not good enough to win without the QB showing up.

The QB played good enough to win a SB already.

For the Chiefs.
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Dafuq?

He posted the video of Stafford throwing a game winning TD with a separated shoulder. Flies in the face of the he would fold narrative.

What does that have to do with anything? LOL.

You're saying if swapped, Stafford would have folded in place of Jimmy... what opinion is that based on? I provided evidence that Stafford is tough as nails and excels through adversity. Just trying to understand how you came to that opinion.

Edit: re-reading your original post... its a ridiculous take lol.

Facts are hard.

Fine. Simply find one QB who won with over 38% pressure rate and less than 2.5 ypc in any game. I'll wait.

Jimmy had a 2.75 TTT in the NFCCG. That was the 4th highest out of his 18 games played last season.
You don't think if we had Stafford in the NFCCG, the Rams wouldn't have had to respect our passing game more and that wouldn't have opened up the run game at all? I find that difficult to believe.

I think it's bad faith argument to force the same "running effectiveness" rule when swapping QBs. When every football fan knows that running and passing is a symbiotic relationship and heavily influence each other. If they have to account for a significant passing threat, there is less bandwidth to control the run. It's basic football.

If swapped QBs, my opinion is we blow out the rams in the NFCCG.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
We've officially hit the 9ers4eva and Hoov portion of the day where facts are ignored to pump up a Rams QB and disparage a 49er QB played under the same circumstances.

Lol No one disparaged anyone (another gross exaggeration), simply calling out your exaggerated nonsense and propensity to pivot and add in caveat after caveat after your assertions are disproven.

You wanted facts on your hypothetical. You got them. You've got nothing to counter, unfortunately. Or at least show me the "exaggeration."

My hypothetical?! You provided facts? Lol holy s**t NC.

Per usual, you've got no counter.

I gave you a counter to YOUR hypothetical and per usual you started shifting and pivoting all over the place. Have a good day

What counter? I gave you two identical scenarios with two different QB's at different skill set levels and they both lost under those scenarios. I used Stafford as an example because, 1) it was recent and matched the same numbers and 2) that hypothetical has existed in here since the NFCCG loss

If you can show me one QB who transcended a 38%+ pressure rate and < 2.5ypc then we'll at least know it's possible, no matter the style of QB.
Dafuq?

He posted the video of Stafford throwing a game winning TD with a separated shoulder. Flies in the face of the he would fold narrative.

You're saying if swapped, Stafford would have folded in place of Jimmy... what opinion is that based on? I provided evidence that Stafford is tough as nails and excels through adversity. Just trying to understand how you came to that opinion.

Facts are hard.

Fine. Simply find one QB who won with over 38% pressure rate and less than 2.5 ypc in any game. I'll wait.
pretty sure Burrow in every game last year

Find one.
Dafuq?

Facts are hard.

Find one.
all of them

Find one.

Where is your source for pressure rates?
Facts are hard.

Won any game? Or playoff game? What's your source for these pressure rates?

Any game. This isn't a Garoppolo defense take. This is lesson in showing you hard it is to win under those circumstances...for any QB (pass centric or run centric). I just showed you that for Stafford, the very guy you just said we'd win with. The problem is you're not focusing on the environment around him...just the skill level of the QB. That SKILL is thrown in the toilet under that environment.
Find one.

Where is your source for pressure rates?

You can find pressure rate via PFF advanced stats or search other sources. The 41% here for Garoppolo was PFF. 25%ish for Stafford. The >2.5ypc are for the whole playoffs.
Dafuq?

Facts are hard.

Find one.
all of them

Are you and Hoov twins? LOL
Dafuq?

Facts are hard.

Find one.
all of them

It's all a moot point. Because previously it was a QB taking hits and sacks and who could win under those conditions. . When that was no longer applicable it turned into a specific pressure rate % and when that couldn't hold up an additional caveat of a specific rushing yards per game was then thrown in. It's just never ending lol
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone