There are 235 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
?

That's a pressure. Same as a sack, which is also a pressure. Your percentage wouldn't differentiate between the two.

To say getting pressured like in the video is the same as getting hammered like Stafford did to the tune of 15 hits and 7 sacks is completely disingenuous and everyone knows it.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Garce:
Facts are hard.

Fine. Simply find one QB who won with over 38% pressure rate and less than 2.5 ypc in any game. I'll wait.

Won any game? Or playoff game? What's your source for these pressure rates?

Any game. This isn't a Garoppolo defense take. This is lesson in showing you hard it is to win under those circumstances...for any QB (pass centric or run centric). I just showed you that for Stafford, the very guy you just said we'd win with. The problem is you're not focusing on the environment around him...just the skill level of the QB. That SKILL is thrown in the toilet under that environment.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Dafuq?

He posted the video of Stafford throwing a game winning TD with a separated shoulder. Flies in the face of the he would fold narrative.

What does that have to do with anything? LOL.

You're saying if swapped, Stafford would have folded in place of Jimmy... what opinion is that based on? I provided evidence that Stafford is tough as nails and excels through adversity. Just trying to understand how you came to that opinion.

Edit: re-reading your original post... its a ridiculous take lol.

Facts are hard.

Fine. Simply find one QB who won with over 38% pressure rate and less than 2.5 ypc in any game. I'll wait.
pretty sure Burrow in every game last year

Find one.
all of them

It's all a moot point. Because previously it was a QB taking hits and sacks and who could win under those conditions. . When that was no longer applicable it turned into a specific pressure rate % and when that amine couldn't hold up an additional caveat of a specific rushing yards per game was then thrown in. It's just never ending lol
i mean Burrow was sacked 19 times in the post season, not even counting the pressure he received before making game winning throws

Montana had some aweful games where he had to come back from multiple TDs in the 4th.. pretty sure the run game wasn't working

like you said, it's moot
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Facts are hard.

Won any game? Or playoff game? What's your source for these pressure rates?

Any game. This isn't a Garoppolo defense take. This is lesson in showing you hard it is to win under those circumstances...for any QB (pass centric or run centric). I just showed you that for Stafford, the very guy you just said we'd win with. The problem is you're not focusing on the environment around him...just the skill level of the QB. That SKILL is thrown in the toilet under that environment.

Can someone help this dude out?
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Contract details online - Lance signed a 34 million contract, out of which, seems like 24+ million is already paid out. The next two seasons ('23 and '24) the 49ers owe him a total of 8 million (3 & 5), which is not much in the big scheme. My guess is he will be the backup, at least for '23. The '24 season is a bit way, don't know.

If JG does enough for the 49ers to want to bring him back, on that 3-year deal, I can only assume that JG would be brought back to be the starter (as you have stated for 2023). Let's assume JG stays healthy, and plays like JG plays when healthy, through 2023, for the purposes of this conversation. That means, Lance will have played about five games of football in four years. Unless JG plays poorly, you aren't going back to Lance in 2024. And, given that, Lance won't have much value on the trade market / or any value post 2024, since 2024 would be the last year on his rookie contract. I just do not see a way in which your scenario works.

If JG plays well enough to win a Superbowl AND the 49ers deem his play reason enough to resign him to a 3-year starter's contract, it seems like the only thing to do is cut your losses and trade Lance for whatever you can (which I can't see being very much compared to what was paid).
You can find pressure rate via PFF advanced stats or search other sources. The 41% here for Garoppolo was PFF. 25%ish for Stafford. The >2.5ypc are for the whole playoffs.

Ah, okay. Thank you. You had mentioned the the Rams/Stafford suffered 38 or 40% but I guess that was all playoffs except vs. the 49ers? That's where I'm lost.

So you're saying just because PFF graded the Rams pressure as 41% and the Niners as 25%, which I am trying to find/look up, I'm having trouble doing so. That any QB would have lost the game... that's your point, right?
i mean Burrow was sacked 19 times in the post season, not even counting the pressure he received before making game winning throws

Montana had some aweful games where he had to come back from multiple TDs in the 4th.. pretty sure the run game wasn't working

like you said, it's moot

Yet somehow we are supposed to believe that it's worse to have a 41% pressure rate vs whatever Cincy had when the 9ers gave up 6 sacks to the Bengals 19.
?

That's a pressure. Same as a sack, which is also a pressure. Your percentage wouldn't differentiate between the two.

To say getting pressured like in the video is the same as getting hammered like Stafford did to the tune of 15 hits and 7 sacks is completely disingenuous and everyone knows it.

You sent me to a blocked poster. LOL. Just like you can have 5 sacks and all 5 are the only "pressures" he got all day.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Dafuq?

He posted the video of Stafford throwing a game winning TD with a separated shoulder. Flies in the face of the he would fold narrative.

What does that have to do with anything? LOL.

You're saying if swapped, Stafford would have folded in place of Jimmy... what opinion is that based on? I provided evidence that Stafford is tough as nails and excels through adversity. Just trying to understand how you came to that opinion.

Edit: re-reading your original post... its a ridiculous take lol.

Facts are hard.

pretty sure Burrow in every game last year

Find one.
all of them

It's all a moot point. Because previously it was a QB taking hits and sacks and who could win under those conditions. . When that was no longer applicable it turned into a specific pressure rate % and when that amine couldn't hold up an additional caveat of a specific rushing yards per game was then thrown in. It's just never ending lol

like you said, it's moot

And yet his pressure rate was only 25% through the playoffs. Hmmm.
You sent me to a blocked poster. LOL. Just like you can have 5 sacks and all 5 are the only "pressures" he got all day.

So you actually think a team giving up 3x the number of sacks and hits is doing a better job protecting their investment than another team who had to have their qb slide over more?

lol being under duress the entire playoffs, probably has a sack record for one post season..that number is really off

this is all so entertaining
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

this is all so entertaining

Just a guy who can't bring himself to say Matt Stafford was better than Jimmy Garoppolo in the NFC title game. To admit it means you love the Rams and/or Stafford.
You can find pressure rate via PFF advanced stats or search other sources. The 41% here for Garoppolo was PFF. 25%ish for Stafford. The >2.5ypc are for the whole playoffs.

Ah, okay. Thank you. You had mentioned the the Rams/Stafford suffered 38 or 40% but I guess that was all playoffs except vs. the 49ers? That's where I'm lost.

So you're saying just because PFF graded the Rams pressure as 41% and the Niners as 25%, which I am trying to find/look up, I'm having trouble doing so. That any QB would have lost the game... that's your point, right?

It's all good!

You came in a little late so I'll recap. Garoppolo was pressured 41% through the entire playoffs. 25% for Stafford (even after facing our DL). And the 9ers only averaged 2.5ypc. Brutal.

We scored 17 points and lost in the NFCCG.

So the idea was, what if the shoe was on the other foot?

In week 1, Stafford was pressured 38%+ times and they only averaged 2.9ypc.

They scored 10 points and lost.

It's incredibly hard to win any game under these circumstances no matter the skill level of the QB.

So if you're going to play the hypothetical, you've gotta try and look at it under similar circumstances. That's all. I have zero issues with saying Stafford is a better QB. But they're both ass under the circumstances Garoppolo faced all through the playoffs. But any QB would be, IMHO. And that's the point.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:40 PM ]
[ Edited by Garce on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone