There are 237 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i mean Burrow was sacked 19 times in the post season, not even counting the pressure he received before making game winning throws

Montana had some aweful games where he had to come back from multiple TDs in the 4th.. pretty sure the run game wasn't working

like you said, it's moot

Yet somehow we are supposed to believe that it's worse to have a 41% pressure rate vs whatever Cincy had when the 9ers gave up 6 sacks to the Bengals 19.
idk i think he might be blaming Jimmy g now
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 22, 2022 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
In the SAME GAME we've seen a new QB come in and attack more down the field (see when C.J. Beathard came in in 2020).

It is not Shanahan's scheme.

This is astounding to me. We can all get access to the All 22. We can see there are down the field routes called. Are you trying to tell me that Shanahan is telling his QBs to not throw to the open man if he is down field?

About the only possible reason beyond QB reads/preferences anyone could even attempt to argue os to claim that Shanahan doesn't trust Garoppolo's deep ball, but that is belied by the All 22 in which deep routes are called. As Shanahan uses progressions, it would be quite the stretch to claim Shanahan tells Jimmy to ignore the open man.

Is that what he has done in the past?

By the way, you'll note that I have pointed out repeatedly that Jimmy was tenth in the NFL last year in completed air yards per completion. It is in fact somewhat of a myth that the 49ers are only a rink and dunk offense.

No, IL not saying deep routes aren't called or that Kyle isn't telling Him to throw to the open man.

When it comes to the shanny quite you referenced earlier, if I remember right from that presser he said, "sure you'd always love for them to see the open guy for a bigger play but at the same time he went to his first read and it was open. I'm not gonna get on a guy for taking thr 1st read when it's open cause that's what we want and expect from our quarterbacks"

But when it comes to a lot of our deep sideline routes, theyre mostly alerts. That's just how it is. That's not me making up my opinion, that's what's in the playbook. That means the QB shouldn't be hanging on to those routes over going through his progressions.

Most of our deep routes that are in progressions are down the middle. You talk about the All-22, it's not like you're seeing time and again guys running wild behind the safeties down the middle. Believe me, if that were true guys like Jessie Naylor would be flooding Twitter with it.

As per the same game, ok, I don't care if it's the same game if it's a different coverage. Coverage dictates the throw, not that it was in the same game.
i mean Burrow was sacked 19 times in the post season, not even counting the pressure he received before making game winning throws

Montana had some aweful games where he had to come back from multiple TDs in the 4th.. pretty sure the run game wasn't working

like you said, it's moot

Yet somehow we are supposed to believe that it's worse to have a 41% pressure rate vs whatever Cincy had when the 9ers gave up 6 sacks to the Bengals 19.

Hence pressure rate. You can do a sack rate if that helps your stance. Simply divide the number of sacks by total volume of passes.

Which sucks for them as they bought a whole new OL and he's still getting killed. 0-2. Which also speaks to my point about pressure. I guess he couldn't transcend it either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:41 PM ]

like you said, it's moot

idk i think he might be balming Jimmy g now

You guys are even confusing yourselves now. LOL.
Jimmy's average time to throw under pressure in the playoffs last year was 3.40 seconds. Matthew Stafford was at 3.07 seconds. If I am understanding this correctly, that means that Jimmy was either holding the ball too long and that is what caused the pressure or Jimmy spent a good deal of time scrambling for his life. I tend to believe it was a combination of both.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Polkadots:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Contract details online - Lance signed a 34 million contract, out of which, seems like 24+ million is already paid out. The next two seasons ('23 and '24) the 49ers owe him a total of 8 million (3 & 5), which is not much in the big scheme. My guess is he will be the backup, at least for '23. The '24 season is a bit way, don't know.

If JG does enough for the 49ers to want to bring him back, on that 3-year deal, I can only assume that JG would be brought back to be the starter (as you have stated for 2023). Let's assume JG stays healthy, and plays like JG plays when healthy, through 2023, for the purposes of this conversation. That means, Lance will have played about five games of football in four years. Unless JG plays poorly, you aren't going back to Lance in 2024. And, given that, Lance won't have much value on the trade market / or any value post 2024, since 2024 would be the last year on his rookie contract. I just do not see a way in which your scenario works.

If JG plays well enough to win a Superbowl AND the 49ers deem his play reason enough to resign him to a 3-year starter's contract, it seems like the only thing to do is cut your losses and trade Lance for whatever you can (which I can't see being very much compared to what was paid).

If the 49ers win the SB, this HC and GM would have done what they were brought here for. The QB situation becomes secondary, sure, great conversation topic, however, not so important compared to the SB run.The last time this team won a SB was 28 years ago!
Let's see, time will tell.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Jimmy's average time to throw under pressure in the playoffs last year was 3.40 seconds. Matthew Stafford was at 3.07 seconds. If I am understanding this correctly, that means that Jimmy was either holding the ball too long and that is what caused the pressure or Jimmy spent a good deal of time scrambling for his life. I tend to believe it was a combination of both.

I would say that the coverage plays a role also in sacks and pressures. The rams defense took away both the running game and the middle of the field in the passing game in a majority of the second half. Did Jimmy's thumb and shoulder play role in his ability to pass outside where there were plays to be made? Absolutely.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 22, 2022 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Facts are hard.

Fine. Simply find one QB who won with over 38% pressure rate and less than 2.5 ypc in any game. I'll wait.

Won any game? Or playoff game? What's your source for these pressure rates?

Any game. This isn't a Garoppolo defense take. This is lesson in showing you hard it is to win under those circumstances...for any QB (pass centric or run centric). I just showed you that for Stafford, the very guy you just said we'd win with. The problem is you're not focusing on the environment around him...just the skill level of the QB. That SKILL is thrown in the toilet under that environment.

Nah that won't fly. That 10% pressure rate differential makes all the difference totally offsets stafford taking actual sacks and huge hits that gane 🤣
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Man, that's a telling stat.

Is it though? Now if we change the arbitrary number of 100 and move it to just 110 his record is 9-7

I would say that the coverage plays a role also in sacks and pressures. The rams defense took away both the running game and the middle of the field in the passing game in a majority of the second half. Did Jimmy's thumb and shoulder play role in his ability to pass outside where there were plays to be made? Absolutely.

why you responding to yourself lol

Originally posted by krizay:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Is it though? Now if we change the arbitrary number of 100 and move it to just 110 his record is 9-7

How many of those 7 losses were when we ran for 60 yards or less though?

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I was adding on to what I posted but I didn't want to edit in fear of someone quoting me before I posted my edit.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 22, 2022 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I was adding on to what I posted but I didn't want to edit in fear of someone would quoting me before I posted my edit.

ahh gotcha

How many of those 7 losses were when we ran for 60 yards or less though?

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.

Forget the rushing, what's his record when throwing 30+ passes?

Fair enough. That's not a great record by any means but certainly better than 3-7
Share 49ersWebzone