LISTEN: Is ESPN Right About The 49ers? →

There are 86 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
So, as I was sitting here reflecting on this entire season of Jimmy Garoppolo drama, I settled on the many conversations about his worth in trade value if he could not be moved until the season actually began. The general sentiment seemed to be that it would take a serious injury to a starting QB on a definite playoff-caliber team to get anything of real value for him.

Little did we know that scenario would be played out exactly as most of us thought, but with us on the receiving end.

So, here is my question to the board: If we were sitting here with Nate Sudfeld and Brock Purdy as the options, and Jimmy Garoppolo was on another team and available in trade, what would you be willing to give up to get him here?

State your case.
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Man, that's a telling stat.

Is it though? Now if we change the arbitrary number of 100 and move it to just 110 his record is 9-7

How many of those 7 losses were when we ran for 60 yards or less though?

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.

Forget the rushing, what's his record when throwing 30+ passes?

I have done enough research on the subject today. You go and do the leg work and come back and tell us.
Jimmy Garoppolo's record is 3-7 when he has passed the ball more than 30 times and the run game has failed to gain 100 yards on the ground. This does not include games he did not start or did not finish.

Man, that's a telling stat.

Is it though? Now if we change the arbitrary number of 100 and move it to just 110 his record is 9-7

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.

Forget the rushing, what's his record when throwing 30+ passes?

How many times has he been blown out? There's more to the game than passing 30 times. It's an absolutely meaningless stat. He's one of the winningest QB's in the entire NFL. To make these scenarios is just desperation imo.
[ Edited by BangBang49er on Sep 22, 2022 at 3:19 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I agree with your premise. Just think it's deceiving when you can add 10 more yards and get different results. If you just add 5 to make it 105 I believe it was 7-7

I agree with your premise. Just think it's deceiving when you can add 10 more yards and get different results. If you just add 5 to make it 105 I believe it was 7-7

The question than is how many rushing yards does it take for Jimmy to get to that 70% win percentage?
  • krizay
  • Veteran

The question than is how many rushing yards does it take for Jimmy to get to that 70% win percentage?

Not sure but I believe it's more of a Kyle thing than a Jimmy thing. When the run isn't working it seems like 66% of our pass plays are still play action until we HAVE to throw. He doesn't seem to abandon that portion of the playbook even when the defense clearly isn't biting on it

EDIT: I should say as much as a Kyle thing than a Jimmy thing
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 22, 2022 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Jimmy do work on SNF! I'll root for you as long as you are in SF. I will also be objective and know he's an avg starting NFL QB, which isn't horrible but the truth. Either way we got some pretty bad QB play across the league and guys starting that have no business being starters. Jimmy is a starter.

when Trey comes back, I will root for him to succeed and understand it's a process. You don't wake up and magically become a great pocket passing QB. It will require reps and getting through all of it. Let's be objective about all of it and understand the process. I would think there's room for 49er fans to support both.

You see, this is where you keep getting yourself in trouble. You always claim you're just being objective about something which you assert is an "obvious" truth, which is that Jimmy is an average QB. That's you're opinion and you're entitled to it but that doesn't make it true. It is a common theme in this thread and, from the opposite side posted by others in the Lance thread. People keep mistaking their opinions for some hard truth and so they feel compelled to have to endlessly debate their point to convince everyone else that their opinion is the correct one, and everyone else is just too stupid to realize it, when in fact it's just your opinion.

It's like the hypocrisy of another poster in here who has been going on about how he and others don't REALLY dislike Jimmy, they are just offering valid "criticisms" of his play. Spending ten pages worth of posts arguing about whether or not a pass that Jimmy threw to Deebo against Chicago last year, that resulted in a TD that helped them win the game was a good pass or not. That's not just "criticism" that's pathological. Jimmy threw it, Deebo caught it, they scored a TD, who cares.

It's also like an idea, that is popular in here and is often echoed among some of the talking head class on TV, looking at you Dan Orlovsky, which claims that it's the defense and Kyle's scheme that are primarily responsible for the team's success and that Jimmy has virtually nothing to do with it and is just along for the ride. If that were true then just about any QB of average skill should be able to do it, but so far that hasn't been the case. They win with Jimmy and lose with everyone else. Does Jimmy have his shortcomings? Absolutely, but so far he has been the only one that has manged to keep the team competitive through the course of a whole season.

Now of course the hope with Lance is that he will have a higher ceiling than Jimmy in terms of his ability to attack down the field more frequently, which seems to be the only thing that some people in here care about. They will go on about how the threat of the deep ball puts more pressure on opposing defenses and forces them to defend the whole field and yadda, yadda, yadda. But if you read between the lines a bit you will usually find that they just think it's more "entertaining" to watch a QB throw the ball all around the field then the ground and pound, short passing game which seems to have been the team's philosophy for the past few year's. I will let guys like Jonnydel sort all of that out because he clearly has more insight on it.

The book on Lance has yet to be written. I think it is everyone's hope that he will turn out to be everything the team believed he could be when they drafted him, but he is still, clearly, a work in progress, People say that the conditions in the Chicago game were a big factor in that loss. Probably, but there was a game against Washington in 2019 where it was also pouring down rain and the team had five turnovers and yet they still found a way to win it with Jimmy at the helm.

Although it was a very limited sample size, the offense did not look particularly dynamic in the first couple of drives against Seattle. They were running the ball well but there was just something about it that seemed a bit off. It was pointed out by some analyst I was watching that on Deebo's long run on a read option Lance made the wrong read on that play and should have kept the ball himself. Deebo's skill turned what looked like a sure loss into a huge gain so it worked out, which I am cool with, but it was still, apparently the wrong call by Lance, which is just his inexperience, So now this whole experiment has been put on hold for another year, which is unfortunate in some ways but may allow for the short term benefit of the team being more competitive this year.

This whole situation is an odd one with a lot of competing narratives. Steve Young, who lost two straight NFC championship games as I recall because of ill timed picks, is telling anyone who will listen that Jimmy got "fired" from the job, which is hard to argue with. Dan Orlovsky, is telling anyone who will listen that Jimmy is just along for the ride and can't get the team over the hump. This from a guy who I don't think ever took his team to an NFL playoff game. However there is someone else out there, whose name escapes me for the moment, pointing out that one of the underlying dynamics at play here is that Lance was handed the job, because of his draft status, without the benefit of actually having earned it which is something that may have led to some of the recent talk being rumored to have come out of the locker room.

When Jimmy's status was still unclear as training camp approached and the team was saying, at least publicly, that they weren't going to release him I suggested that if that were the case they should just bring him back to camp and let he and Lance compete for the job and may the best man win. That would help ease any unspoken issues among the team about who should start and might have been beneficial in terms of Lance's development in terms of making him compete for a job that he had already planned on being his. I mean, if Lance is destined to be so much better than Jimmy than he shouldn't have had any problem beating him out in camp, right?

But that's not the way things worked out and now Jimmy is back as QB1 and we'll see how far he can take us. I am of the camp who believes that Jimmy is perfectly capable of taking the team to the Super Bowl and winning it but that it will require his consistently best play to do so. There seem to be a couple of pretty good teams out there at the moment so this may well be a tougher get than their 2019 run. But, if they can pull it off, that will just make it that much sweeter. Go Niners!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Jimmy do work on SNF! I'll root for you as long as you are in SF. I will also be objective and know he's an avg starting NFL QB, which isn't horrible but the truth. Either way we got some pretty bad QB play across the league and guys starting that have no business being starters. Jimmy is a starter.

when Trey comes back, I will root for him to succeed and understand it's a process. You don't wake up and magically become a great pocket passing QB. It will require reps and getting through all of it. Let's be objective about all of it and understand the process. I would think there's room for 49er fans to support both.

You see, this is where you keep getting yourself in trouble. You always claim you're just being objective about something which you assert is an "obvious" truth, which is that Jimmy is an average QB. That's you're opinion and you're entitled to it but that doesn't make it true. It is a common theme in this thread and, from the opposite side posted by others in the Lance thread. People keep mistaking their opinions for some hard truth and so they feel compelled to have to endlessly debate their point to convince everyone else that their opinion is the correct one, and everyone else is just too stupid to realize it, when in fact it's just your opinion.

It's like the hypocrisy of another poster in here who has been going on about how he and others don't REALLY dislike Jimmy, they are just offering valid "criticisms" of his play. Spending ten pages worth of posts arguing about whether or not a pass that Jimmy threw to Deebo against Chicago last year, that resulted in a TD that helped them win the game was a good pass or not. That's not just "criticism" that's pathological. Jimmy threw it, Deebo caught it, they scored a TD, who cares.

It's also like an idea, that is popular in here and is often echoed among some of the talking head class on TV, looking at you Dan Orlovsky, which claims that it's the defense and Kyle's scheme that are primarily responsible for the team's success and that Jimmy has virtually nothing to do with it and is just along for the ride. If that were true then just about any QB of average skill should be able to do it, but so far that hasn't been the case. They win with Jimmy and lose with everyone else. Does Jimmy have his shortcomings? Absolutely, but so far he has been the only one that has manged to keep the team competitive through the course of a whole season.

Now of course the hope with Lance is that he will have a higher ceiling than Jimmy in terms of his ability to attack down the field more frequently, which seems to be the only thing that some people in here care about. They will go on about how the threat of the deep ball puts more pressure on opposing defenses and forces them to defend the whole field and yadda, yadda, yadda. But if you read between the lines a bit you will usually find that they just think it's more "entertaining" to watch a QB throw the ball all around the field then the ground and pound, short passing game which seems to have been the team's philosophy for the past few year's. I will let guys like Jonnydel sort all of that out because he clearly has more insight on it.

The book on Lance has yet to be written. I think it is everyone's hope that he will turn out to be everything the team believed he could be when they drafted him, but he is still, clearly, a work in progress, People say that the conditions in the Chicago game were a big factor in that loss. Probably, but there was a game against Washington in 2019 where it was also pouring down rain and the team had five turnovers and yet they still found a way to win it with Jimmy at the helm.

Although it was a very limited sample size, the offense did not look particularly dynamic in the first couple of drives against Seattle. They were running the ball well but there was just something about it that seemed a bit off. It was pointed out by some analyst I was watching that on Deebo's long run on a read option Lance made the wrong read on that play and should have kept the ball himself. Deebo's skill turned what looked like a sure loss into a huge gain so it worked out, which I am cool with, but it was still, apparently the wrong call by Lance, which is just his inexperience, So now this whole experiment has been put on hold for another year, which is unfortunate in some ways but may allow for the short term benefit of the team being more competitive this year.

This whole situation is an odd one with a lot of competing narratives. Steve Young, who lost two straight NFC championship games as I recall because of ill timed picks, is telling anyone who will listen that Jimmy got "fired" from the job, which is hard to argue with. Dan Orlovsky, is telling anyone who will listen that Jimmy is just along for the ride and can't get the team over the hump. This from a guy who I don't think ever took his team to an NFL playoff game. However there is someone else out there, whose name escapes me for the moment, pointing out that one of the underlying dynamics at play here is that Lance was handed the job, because of his draft status, without the benefit of actually having earned it which is something that may have led to some of the recent talk being rumored to have come out of the locker room.

When Jimmy's status was still unclear as training camp approached and the team was saying, at least publicly, that they weren't going to release him I suggested that if that were the case they should just bring him back to camp and let he and Lance compete for the job and may the best man win. That would help ease any unspoken issues among the team about who should start and might have been beneficial in terms of Lance's development in terms of making him compete for a job that he had already planned on being his. I mean, if Lance is destined to be so much better than Jimmy than he shouldn't have had any problem beating him out in camp, right?

But that's not the way things worked out and now Jimmy is back as QB1 and we'll see how far he can take us. I am of the camp who believes that Jimmy is perfectly capable of taking the team to the Super Bowl and winning it but that it will require his consistently best play to do so. There seem to be a couple of pretty good teams out there at the moment so this may well be a tougher get than their 2019 run. But, if they can pull it off, that will just make it that much sweeter. Go Niners!

The issue for me is that when the run game gets shut down, so does the entire offense. Jimmy is great at converting 3rd downs and keeping drives alive when the run game is gaining positive yards. However, when the run game isn't working and he is asked to throw the ball 40 times the offense cannot put points on the board and we typically lose those games. Imo, its because Jimmy cannot beat teams over the top with his arm. No QB in the league throws 40+ short passes in a game and wins consistently. Defenses are too good, especially in the playoffs, to get beat one dimensionally.

Which unfortunately also plays into that 'other' team weakness and the concert there.

Lol the weakness of the OLine is the reason Jimmy (thus far in his career) isin't a good, consistent threat down the field.

Year after year of his career, it has never been his fault or his ability. Great explanation that I'm sure everyone here buys.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.

No it hasn't???
  • Garce
  • Veteran
What does Jimmy have to do to prove he's more than a game manager for you guys?

Not sure but I believe it's more of a Kyle thing than a Jimmy thing. When the run isn't working it seems like 66% of our pass plays are still play action until we HAVE to throw. He doesn't seem to abandon that portion of the playbook even when the defense clearly isn't biting on it

EDIT: I should say as much as a Kyle thing than a Jimmy thing

That is a good theory. I am also not saying Jimmy is a bad QB. He has a solid skillset. He is just missing that one thing that keeps defenses from crowding the LOS. Shanahan has for the most part created a great system around Jimmy's skillset. But no system is perfect and no player is perfect.

As long as the run game is clicking and the defense stays stout, Jimmy will keep this team on schedule. With a revamped IOL looking the part so far and Jimmy's quick release, the yacbros should thrive all year. Lets go get #6!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
we still trying blame everyone else due to jimmys limitations .. just call the spade a spade and move on

He is available and he wins.

Those are what concern me.
beating inferior teams is fun in all, but he doesn't win when it counts due to his limitations and constant mistakes

i really hope he can change that this year, but it's year 6 now

He has won a ton of games when it counts against top teams.

The team with him has been good enough to win 2 SBs.
a ton of games that count.. would mean we won 2 SBs at least

i agree the team is good enough, but not good enough to win without the QB showing up.

The QB played good enough to win a SB already.
apparently not good enough

Lol did we surpass New England while I was sleep? Are we back on top with 7 rings??
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

The issue for me is that when the run game gets shut down, so does the entire offense. Jimmy is great at converting 3rd downs and keeping drives alive when the run game is gaining positive yards. However, when the run game isn't working and he is asked to throw the ball 40 times the offense cannot put points on the board and we typically lose those games. Imo, its because Jimmy cannot beat teams over the top with his arm. No QB in the league throws 40+ short passes in a game and wins consistently. Defenses are too good, especially in the playoffs, to get beat one dimensionally.

Which unfortunately also plays into that 'other' team weakness and the concert there.

Lol the weakness of the OLine is the reason Jimmy (thus far in his career) isin't a good, consistent threat down the field.

Year after year of his career, it has never been his fault or his ability. Great explanation that I'm sure everyone here buys.

Trey proved in pre season against the packers that you don't need 3 seconds to throw a deep ball.
Originally posted by BangBang49er:
How many times has he been blown out? There's more to the game than passing 30 times. It's an absolutely meaningless stat. He's one of the winningest QB's in the entire NFL. To make these scenarios is just desperation imo.

This isin't tennis or anything, so never. Same for all QBs.
Jimmy's average time to throw under pressure in the playoffs last year was 3.40 seconds. Matthew Stafford was at 3.07 seconds. If I am understanding this correctly, that means that Jimmy was either holding the ball too long and that is what caused the pressure or Jimmy spent a good deal of time scrambling for his life. I tend to believe it was a combination of both.

It probably depends on the stats site and how they define a pressure. Some may not count pressure after a specified time. Some may just count any pressure even if the QB decides to run around on his own for 15s and all 5 OL end up with a pressure. LOL

But yeah, typically, holding the ball that long could lead to a lot of pressures esp. for an immobile QB. It's not like he has a high TTT because he's making things happen ad lib off script.
Share 49ersWebzone