LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Jimmy's average time to throw under pressure in the playoffs last year was 3.40 seconds. Matthew Stafford was at 3.07 seconds. If I am understanding this correctly, that means that Jimmy was either holding the ball too long and that is what caused the pressure or Jimmy spent a good deal of time scrambling for his life. I tend to believe it was a combination of both.

I would say that the coverage plays a role also in sacks and pressures. The rams defense took away both the running game and the middle of the field in the passing game in a majority of the second half. Did Jimmy's thumb and shoulder play role in his ability to pass outside where there were plays to be made? Absolutely.

Quality points too.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Jimmy's average time to throw under pressure in the playoffs last year was 3.40 seconds. Matthew Stafford was at 3.07 seconds. If I am understanding this correctly, that means that Jimmy was either holding the ball too long and that is what caused the pressure or Jimmy spent a good deal of time scrambling for his life. I tend to believe it was a combination of both.

I would say that the coverage plays a role also in sacks and pressures. The rams defense took away both the running game and the middle of the field in the passing game in a majority of the second half. Did Jimmy's thumb and shoulder play role in his ability to pass outside where there were plays to be made? Absolutely.

why you responding to yourself lol

I was adding on to what I posted but I didn't want to edit in fear of someone quoting me before I posted my edit.

Haha. I feel that!
Originally posted by dj43:
So, as I was sitting here reflecting on this entire season of Jimmy Garoppolo drama, I settled on the many conversations about his worth in trade value if he could not be moved until the season actually began. The general sentiment seemed to be that it would take a serious injury to a starting QB on a definite playoff-caliber team to get anything of real value for him.

Little did we know that scenario would be played out exactly as most of us thought, but with us on the receiving end.

So, here is my question to the board: If we were sitting here with Nate Sudfeld and Brock Purdy as the options, and Jimmy Garoppolo was on another team and available in trade, what would you be willing to give up to get him here?

State your case.

Originally posted by NCommand:

It probably depends on the stats site and how they define a pressure. Some may not count pressure after a specified time. Some may just count any pressure even if the QB decides to run around on his own for 15s and all 5 OL end up with a pressure. LOL

But yeah, typically, holding the ball that long could lead to a lot of pressures esp. for an immobile QB. It's not like he has a high TTT because he's making things happen ad lib off script.

Bingo! He only scrambled twice in the playoffs according to pff.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by BangBang49er:
How many times has he been blown out? There's more to the game than passing 30 times. It's an absolutely meaningless stat. He's one of the winningest QB's in the entire NFL. To make these scenarios is just desperation imo.

This isin't tennis or anything, so never. Same for all QBs.

Being blown out means you throw the ball more. With Jimmy as the QB we hardly ever get blown out so he is not forced to throw unnecessarily. This is why we win games is that Jimmy, who plays the most important position in any sport, never allows his teams to get down. And yes, that requires a good defense and a good running game but he is the one controlling the offense. You guys think Jimmy having one of the best records in the entire NFL is just by chance and it's really ignorant. You don't have that type of success being mediocre.
[ Edited by BangBang49er on Sep 22, 2022 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
How many of those 7 losses were when we ran for 60 yards or less though?

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.

I agree with your premise. Just think it's deceiving when you can add 10 more yards and get different results. If you just add 5 to make it 105 I believe it was 7-7

The question than is how many rushing yards does it take for Jimmy to get to that 70% win percentage?

Apparently Kyle knows the exact number for every game. LOL

Quality points too.
idk about the injury part, there was nothing indistinguishable between healthy Jimmy and "injured" jimmy in 2021

It probably depends on the stats site and how they define a pressure. Some may not count pressure after a specified time. Some may just count any pressure even if the QB decides to run around on his own for 15s and all 5 OL end up with a pressure. LOL

But yeah, typically, holding the ball that long could lead to a lot of pressures esp. for an immobile QB. It's not like he has a high TTT because he's making things happen ad lib off script.

I didn't even know he could scramble. LOL
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Quality points too.
idk about the injury part, there was nothing indistinguishable between healthy Jimmy and "injured" jimmy in 2021

Where I noticed it most...just saw it in Seattle too...was when he's on the move running and trying to throw on the move (towards the sideline). The ball just sails off his hand high every time. And it's not even close. Other than that, I didn't notice it a whole lot.

Haha. Believe me, you don't want him to scramble. Both ended up as int's, I believe.

Haha. Believe me, you don't want him to scramble. Both ended up as int's, I believe.

Haha. That sounds like fact to me!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Quality points too.

Where I noticed it most...just saw it in Seattle too...was when he's on the move running and trying to throw on the move (towards the sideline). The ball just sails off his hand high every time. And it's not even close. Other than that, I didn't notice it a whole lot.
in seattle or this past game vs seattle ?

He's not injured right now, but he throws errant passes every game.. except in this past game he had large pockets and way more time to throw than ever and still managed to throw these WTF passes

but i'm talking about last year, there is no footage of Jimmy being effected by his injuries
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 22, 2022 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
How many times has he been blown out? There's more to the game than passing 30 times. It's an absolutely meaningless stat. He's one of the winningest QB's in the entire NFL. To make these scenarios is just desperation imo.

This isin't tennis or anything, so never. Same for all QBs.

Being blown out means you throw the ball more. With Jimmy as the QB we hardly ever get blown out so he is not forced to throw unnecessarily. This is why we win games is that Jimmy, who plays the most important position in any sport, never allows his teams to get down. And yes, that requires a good defense and a good running game but he is the one controlling the offense. You guys think Jimmy having one of the best records in the entire NFL is just by chance and it's really ignorant. You don't have that type of success being mediocre.

Teams are blown out,...not players. This is football. 22 guys on the field @ the same time.

Like I said earlier, Jimmy is most affective when the run game is getting positive yards. I wouldn't call 110 yards a poor rushing day for an offense. Jimmy is great in that 3rd and around 6 yards to go range. But when he is forced to pass it on nearly every down to keep the chains moving, he struggles. You have to be able to keep defenses from crowding the LOS and that comes from the threat of the deep ball. If you don't have that threat and the run game is inaffective you get that 3-7 record.

I agree with your premise. Just think it's deceiving when you can add 10 more yards and get different results. If you just add 5 to make it 105 I believe it was 7-7

The question than is how many rushing yards does it take for Jimmy to get to that 70% win percentage?

Not every game. Just 70% of them.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 22, 2022 at 4:09 PM ]

Not every game. Just 70% of them.

Playoffs must be the 30%
Share 49ersWebzone