Cardinals stun turnover-plagued 49ers 24-23 after second-half comeback →

There are 599 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonnydel:
We should just pin Kyle's retort in this thread.

People saying we didn't throw deep in 2019 because of Jimmy, Kyle is basically saying, "big F'n deal, we got the same result as those throwing deep in a more efficient way and that's how I like it"

Sherm talked in his pod with K.J. how Kyle would always show the charts that if they ran the ball 30x they won 80% of the time. He's gonna freaking run that ball, look to pick up first downs run it some more and if the defense tries to cheat he'll try and take a shot but he's looking for what's most efficient more than anything.

What I took from it is that you play to the strengths of your personnel as well.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

People saying we didn't throw deep in 2019 because of Jimmy, Kyle is basically saying, "big F'n deal, we got the same result as those throwing deep in a more efficient way and that's how I like it"

Sherm talked in his pod with K.J. how Kyle would always show the charts that if they ran the ball 30x they won 80% of the time. He's gonna freaking run that ball, look to pick up first downs run it some more and if the defense tries to cheat he'll try and take a shot but he's looking for what's most efficient more than anything.

This. And glad it's this.
Running is part of the balance.. the part you guys fail to see is that we don't have a QB to take advantage of teams selling out to stop the run

We'll see about that, AllTheTime, we'll see about that...very soon. Looking forward to seeing Jimmy and the team build on last week's win, continue to play excellent complementary football, and step up to Sunday's challenge vs. the Broncos.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Hopefully Kyle stops holding him back

Garoppolo's YPA of 7.3 currently puts him tied with Aaron Rodgers for 8th highest in the league. Yes, it's a small sample but it would have been even higher if BA held that one 40-yarder.

So there is that...

Last year Jimmy was 2nd highest in the league, just behind Burrow, with a 8.6 ypa average but was tied for 10th lowest in ADOT.

Which is more important, ADOT or YPA?
Originally posted by mattster03:
I am happy he is back because this season would be another 2018 or 2020 disaster if he didn't.

Without the high 1st round pick to compensatory prize !

Excellent point! And what if(God forbids) Trey doesn't recover from injury after a year( it happens), we will dwell in the bottom for so many years again.

This. And glad it's this.
Running is part of the balance.. the part you guys fail to see is that we don't have a QB to take advantage of teams selling out to stop the run

We'll see about that, AllTheTime, we'll see about that...very soon. Looking forward to seeing Jimmy and the team build on last week's win, continue to play excellent complementary football, and step up to Sunday's challenge vs. the Broncos.
i have no doubt jimmy can play very well.. we've gone what 8/9 and 0 before. I want to see progress in the playoffs
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by dioworld:
Jimmy hater should just gave up watching 9ers this year and come back next year for Trey. If you guys hate him so much just stop watching while he's the starting QB .
yes, he suck and won't make no playoff, so just stop watching this year and come back next year

Speaking for those who agree with me, we don't "hate" Jimmy. We "hate" you. As in the ridiculous dumb crap people say which belittles the rest of the team to prop up their favorite player, disparaging last year's REALLY GOOD offensive line, to our WRs, to Trey (whole lot of ASSumptions based on a whole lot of nothing), or Shanahan, and so on.

If you think last year's line was good, especially at the end of the year, I'd be forced to question your understanding of the game. They were mediocre at best, and flat out s**t in the playoffs after Trent was hobbled.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by dioworld:
Jimmy hater should just gave up watching 9ers this year and come back next year for Trey. If you guys hate him so much just stop watching while he's the starting QB .
yes, he suck and won't make no playoff, so just stop watching this year and come back next year

Speaking for those who agree with me, we don't "hate" Jimmy. We "hate" you. As in the ridiculous dumb crap people say which belittles the rest of the team to prop up their favorite player, disparaging last year's REALLY GOOD offensive line, to our WRs, to Trey (whole lot of ASSumptions based on a whole lot of nothing), or Shanahan, and so on.

If you think last year's line was good, especially at the end of the year, I'd be forced to question your understanding of the game. They were mediocre at best, and flat out s**t in the playoffs after Trent was hobbled.
We gave up 0 sacks in 2 of the 3 games in the post season.. They we're hobbled, but still good
Originally posted by NCommand:
We almost had "that guy" in Kirk Cousins. LOL

Jimmy may have thrived in a spread offense in college but I find it hard to believe he would find extensive success if he ran one in the NFL. Again, he would be limited because of his ability to push the ball down field when neccessary. Same thing with Alex Smith. He ran alot of spread in KC with Andy Reid but when teams forced him to go vertical at a high rate, they would lose. That was the main reason why they drafted Pat Mahomes. I honestly believe that Jimmy is in an offense that best fits his skillset. But when the rushing attack isn't on its game, Jimmy has shown to be less affective and his record reflects that. Now, should Kyle go spread more often when the run game isn't working? That is a real question to ponder.

You guys with your "JiMMy cAn'T pUsH tEh bAlL dOWnTHe FIeLd" nonsense is ridiculous, and false.

Did you not see the deep out to Aiyuk that should've been caught.

They must not have seen his presser today

What did he say today?

Edit. More evidence.
JG Translation: Free Jimmy, Kyle.

Garoppolo threw for 154 yards and one touchdown against the Seahawks and came out throwing the ball with frequency despite being away from the team for months. Could the remainder of the season bring more of the same? He certainly seems to hope so. Garoppolo mentioned after the game that the aggressive approach reminded him of his first months with the 49ers in 2017 when he was firing the ball all over the field while learning head coach Kyle Shanahan's offense on the fly, something he talked about once again during his media session on Thursday.

"I love that," Garoppolo said. "Yeah. It's just there's a lot of things that go with that obviously. But yeah, I love doing that stuff. In '17, there was a freedom where me, the receivers, the tight ends, we had a good chemistry going. When you get that with offensive skills in a quarterback, it makes for a tough offense."

Could there be more of that to come? Perhaps we'll start to find out Sunday night.

"I think we'll see that as we go forward. I don't know," Garoppolo said. "The more freedom you have as a quarterback, obviously, you play better, you're more confident, and good things will happen."

Kyle's retort to Jimmy's comments about being more free to make plays. From Bonilla on the HP.

Kyle Shanahan joined KNBR on Friday morning and had an opportunity to respond to the comments. Would the head coach be more willing to "wing it" more with Garoppolo than he did in 2019 and 2021?

"Yeah, I'm not even sure what that question or those statements mean, but we're always the same," Shanahan responded on the Murph & Mac show. "We try to do what we think gives us the best chance to succeed. That has to do with our skill set and what we're going against. There's no such thing as, 'Hey, I feel like winging it this year. I feel like going deep this year. I feel like going short this year. I feel like running the ball this year.' It doesn't work that way.

"It works with, what's your personnel? What are you going against? And what do you think gives you the best chance to win on Sunday? And that's really how we look at everything."

Shanahan was asked if there was a difference in 2017 when Garoppolo seemed to be throwing the football more.

"Yeah, we were a real bad team," he answered. "We weren't nearly as balanced. He came in and took over a 1-9 team. And I think what he meant—I don't want to make assumptions like you guys are—but if I have to, I would guess what he meant is he was going in there, and he was personally winging it a lot more. He was new to the offense.

"We were going in and just trying to—I guess we threw it more when he came in at that time. I'm not really sure. But the stats and stuff, look at how efficient we were in '19. Look at us throwing the ball. Look at us last year. I mean, we averaged more yards gained on every pass play we did. So, at the end of it, where they land and where they get tackled, we actually are getting deeper than anybody when it comes to completions. That's something you never feel bad about.

"You can air it out down the field all day, but at the end of the day, when you average less yards per pass than we do, I don't feel that's as successful. Our goal is to try to be efficient, try to be successful, and that doesn't mean throwing it short. That means doing what you think you're good at and what the defense is giving to you. And that changes quarter to quarter, week to week, year to year."

That's great. I am a strong advocate for running the ball and playing stingy defense. I loved the 2019 NFCCG against the packers where we only threw the ball 8 times. However, when you need the deep ball like we did in the SB and could not connect late in the game when we needed to. Or when the rams defense shut down the run game and took away the short underneath passes . The deep ball was again needed but was no where to be found.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Not a Jimmy fan but starting to think he might not be the problem. More and more I see Kyle as the impediment to our success.

So you think Jimmy was the reason for our 2 deep playoff runs and not Kyle eh? That makes his game vs Minnesota that much more spectacular then. Imagine carrying your team to a playoff win while only throwing the ball 8 times!
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Originally posted by mattster03:
I am happy he is back because this season would be another 2018 or 2020 disaster if he didn't.

Without the high 1st round pick to compensatory prize !

Excellent point! And what if(God forbids) Trey doesn't recover from injury after a year( it happens), we will dwell in the bottom for so many years again.

...except we weren't dwelling on the bottom when Jimmy was healthy. Let's hope for the health of both QBs - the future with Trey and a SB this year with Jimmy.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I understand the disappointment over Lance's injury but I see QBs run into the middle of the line every week on short yardage situations. QB sneaks are common. The chance of getting injured is just as great for them as it was for Lance on the play he got hurt.

It was just s**t luck that Trey got hurt. The hyper emotional irrational folks trying to blame anyone for it are just being who they are.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Hopefully Kyle stops holding him back

Garoppolo's YPA of 7.3 currently puts him tied with Aaron Rodgers for 8th highest in the league. Yes, it's a small sample but it would have been even higher if BA held that one 40-yarder.

So there is that...

Last year Jimmy was 2nd highest in the league, just behind Burrow, with a 8.6 ypa average but was tied for 10th lowest in ADOT.

Which is more important, ADOT or YPA?

Neither imo. Both play their part in telling an entire story.

Jimmy may have thrived in a spread offense in college but I find it hard to believe he would find extensive success if he ran one in the NFL. Again, he would be limited because of his ability to push the ball down field when neccessary. Same thing with Alex Smith. He ran alot of spread in KC with Andy Reid but when teams forced him to go vertical at a high rate, they would lose. That was the main reason why they drafted Pat Mahomes. I honestly believe that Jimmy is in an offense that best fits his skillset. But when the rushing attack isn't on its game, Jimmy has shown to be less affective and his record reflects that. Now, should Kyle go spread more often when the run game isn't working? That is a real question to ponder.

You guys with your "JiMMy cAn'T pUsH tEh bAlL dOWnTHe FIeLd" nonsense is ridiculous, and false.

What did he say today?

Edit. More evidence.

Garoppolo threw for 154 yards and one touchdown against the Seahawks and came out throwing the ball with frequency despite being away from the team for months. Could the remainder of the season bring more of the same? He certainly seems to hope so. Garoppolo mentioned after the game that the aggressive approach reminded him of his first months with the 49ers in 2017 when he was firing the ball all over the field while learning head coach Kyle Shanahan's offense on the fly, something he talked about once again during his media session on Thursday.

"I love that," Garoppolo said. "Yeah. It's just there's a lot of things that go with that obviously. But yeah, I love doing that stuff. In '17, there was a freedom where me, the receivers, the tight ends, we had a good chemistry going. When you get that with offensive skills in a quarterback, it makes for a tough offense."

Could there be more of that to come? Perhaps we'll start to find out Sunday night.

"I think we'll see that as we go forward. I don't know," Garoppolo said. "The more freedom you have as a quarterback, obviously, you play better, you're more confident, and good things will happen."

Kyle's retort to Jimmy's comments about being more free to make plays. From Bonilla on the HP.

Kyle Shanahan joined KNBR on Friday morning and had an opportunity to respond to the comments. Would the head coach be more willing to "wing it" more with Garoppolo than he did in 2019 and 2021?

"Yeah, I'm not even sure what that question or those statements mean, but we're always the same," Shanahan responded on the Murph & Mac show. "We try to do what we think gives us the best chance to succeed. That has to do with our skill set and what we're going against. There's no such thing as, 'Hey, I feel like winging it this year. I feel like going deep this year. I feel like going short this year. I feel like running the ball this year.' It doesn't work that way.

"It works with, what's your personnel? What are you going against? And what do you think gives you the best chance to win on Sunday? And that's really how we look at everything."

Shanahan was asked if there was a difference in 2017 when Garoppolo seemed to be throwing the football more.

"Yeah, we were a real bad team," he answered. "We weren't nearly as balanced. He came in and took over a 1-9 team. And I think what he meant—I don't want to make assumptions like you guys are—but if I have to, I would guess what he meant is he was going in there, and he was personally winging it a lot more. He was new to the offense.

"We were going in and just trying to—I guess we threw it more when he came in at that time. I'm not really sure. But the stats and stuff, look at how efficient we were in '19. Look at us throwing the ball. Look at us last year. I mean, we averaged more yards gained on every pass play we did. So, at the end of it, where they land and where they get tackled, we actually are getting deeper than anybody when it comes to completions. That's something you never feel bad about.

"You can air it out down the field all day, but at the end of the day, when you average less yards per pass than we do, I don't feel that's as successful. Our goal is to try to be efficient, try to be successful, and that doesn't mean throwing it short. That means doing what you think you're good at and what the defense is giving to you. And that changes quarter to quarter, week to week, year to year."

That's great. I am a strong advocate for running the ball and playing stingy defense. I loved the 2019 NFCCG against the packers where we only threw the ball 8 times. However, when you need the deep ball like we did in the SB and could not connect late in the game when we needed to. Or when the rams defense shut down the run game and took away the short underneath passes . The deep ball was again needed but was no where to be found.

You think we had the pass pro to hit the deep ball when Brunskill and Compton were facing off against Aaron Donald and Von Miller? Or Trent on one leg? Really?

Everyone is saying, "our offense disappeared in the playoffs" well so did everyone else's we played.
Cowboys averaged over 30 ppg turn scored 17 against us.
The pack was at 24 and then scored 10
The Rams were at 24ish and scored 20.

It's tough to score in the playoffs against good teams. There's no doubt we faced the 3 best teams in the NFC outside of our own team.

What did he say today?

Edit. More evidence.

Even in his own words, fans that prefer another QB will still spin this to the QB somehow. Even with Trey's excellent arm, Gray was basically inactive both games. Ray-Ray, barely used. The fans still think Kyle the HC is something, he's telling you with his own words, he's not. Fans want entertainment (explosives). Kyle is completely opposite of that.

He is Bo Schembechler 2.0
you guys over read the part where he said it's based off personel ?

Yeah, his OWN hand picked personnel and the defense we play and their strengths and weaknesses based on how his own can exploit them.

What does that have to do with his own philosophy?

Did you not watch the NFC Championship? Our line couldn't block for the three step drops, how the hell were they going to call a 5 or 7 step drop?
Share 49ersWebzone