LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 290 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is true. The issue this time with the OL was its inability to run...at all...esp. in the NFCCG. I'd put that as a bigger weakness than the PP overall. The issue is the relationship.

Just like today, if you stop Kyle's run offense, now your OL/QB are facing predictable passing downs which means the OL has to hold in PP for longer (need more distance on passes) and Jimmy has to trust it and hit those. Neither the OL or QB do too well under duress under those circumstances. Most offenses don't.

Better teams are going to force us to be one-dimensional unless our QB can torch them for cheating up (play action down the field).

Come playoff time you are facing better teams that have all had time to figure things out and gel. It's going to happen this year as well unless we improve in this area.

It's really that simple.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 24, 2022 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
I left out Josh Allen. As we've seen with our eyes,...Josh Allen's abilities will be a luxury for years to come. In the chart above,...he's getting rid of the ball before pressure comes 75% of the time. His abilities with his legs -- along with that crazy 4.37 #,...is exactly the opposite of Ben and Brady. So when he's under pressure and throwing, it's NOT gotten rid of simply because he felt like he had to before the pressure came. So in his case, the latter number enhances the former.

Again, a luxury. Which is problematic for other teams as he gets better and better (see Mahomes).

But to be a pain and be repetitive,....how do we know all of this without watching the guys play football?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/12/49ers-hc-hoped-bills-josh-allen-would-come-out-in-2017-nfl-draft.html

If we didn't sign Jimmy we most likely would have had a top 5 pick in 2018 and would have drafted Mr. Allen. Would he be what he is today though with Shanny?
Originally posted by BangBang49er:
Meh I've already addressed this and I understand just fine. TBH the more I thought about this the more pointless the entire conversation was as I was just arguing the numbers. Even if true Jimmy was pretty average compared to other top QBs and that's not a negative imo. I have no problem saying Jimmy deserves blame for the loss, I just disagreed with the numbers. If I'm wrong unlike you, I'll man up and admit it instead of freak the heck out like you did. Now relax, take a breath and have a wonderful morning.

FYI the pointless conversation really stems from another thread. Taking one stat out of context to support a narrative then getting the stats here that put it into context and not believing it because it blows up the narrative. Don't think random was really even referring to you.
Originally posted by BangBang49er:
I'll be the first to say that if Jimmy makes a play then we win, but with all the love Stafford gets, if our defense makes a play we win too. Stafford nearly threw the game away on a very stupid throw. Our defense didn't make that play. Meanwhile Stafford's defense came together and stopped our offense cold.

I reiterate that Jimmy is to blame as much as anybody and I'll give credit to Stafford as he did make one more play, but if our defense does it's thing, Stafford isn't the the legend he's made out to be.

Yup. For a guy with Stafford's arm, it was actually him dialing it way back and drinking and dunking his way to a win after getting down 2 scores in the 4th. Their defense absolutely shut down our run game which made it a minor miracle we were even up 2 scores in the 4Q to begin with. Jimmy still had some chances too but it got heated after the momentum shifted.
Better teams are going to force us to be one-dimensional unless our QB can torch them for cheating up (play action down the field).

Come playoff time you are facing better teams that have all had time to figure things out and gel. It's going to happen this year as well unless we improve in this area.

It's really that simple.

It's exactly that simple.

The disconnect is the belief that the run game should dominate regardless of what the qb is doing and if it doesn't the o line is exclusively to blame.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It's really that simple.

The disconnect is the belief that the run game should dominate regardless of what the qb is doing and if it doesn't the o line is exclusively to blame.

This is so silly. Do you even 4-9?

This is literally, how this team is built.

Dominate? It was downright non existent.

But somehow the passing game (the thing they do the least), still got a 2 score lead in the 4Q. How was that possible? Had they been able to run at all like Seattle last week, they close that game out easily on a 9 minute drive.

Again, if our defense takes Stafford's passing game away (like Geno Smith last week), nobody would expect the Rams to switch gears from their winning formula and beat us running the ball.

And I hate to break it to you but that winning formula, on how Kyle personally constructed over 6 off seasons, isn't going to change any time soon, no matter the QB. So get used to it. If I were you I'd spend a whole lot more time focusing on the running game. Everything works off that here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 24, 2022 at 9:03 AM ]
On a positive note going forward, Maiocco said the offense looks like the 49ers offense again and that not one single pass hit the ground. They were on it!

Hopefully that transfers to Denver!

It's really that simple.

But somehow the passing game (the thing they do the least), still got a 2 score lead in the 4Q. How was that possible? Had they been able to run at all like Seattle last week, they close that game out easily on a 9 minute drive.

Again, if our defense takes Stafford's passing game away (like Geno Smith last week), nobody would expect the Rams to switch gears from their winning formula and beat us running the ball.

And I hate to break it to you but that winning formula, on how Kyle personally constructed over 6 off seasons, isn't going to change any time soon, no matter the QB. So get used to it. If I were you I'd spend a whole lot more time focusing on the running game. Everything works off that here.
How did Kyle get a MVP QB by running the ball ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

It's really that simple.

By running the ball.

It's really that simple.

By running the ball.
So why jimmy didn't get a MVP, all pro, probowl or at least any respect from the league ?

It's really that simple.

By running the ball.
So why jimmy didn't get a MVP, all pro, probowl or at least any respect from the league ?

1. Do you think Jimmy, Trey, Mullens, BeatHard and Hoyer are as talented a thrower as Matt Ryan was in his prime?
2. Do you think Kyle the OC is the same as Kyle the HC?
Answer a ? with a ?

Your traps are impressive if nothing else, sir.
On a positive note going forward, Maiocco said the offense looks like the 49ers offense again and that not one single pass hit the ground. They were on it!

That's what happens when you put a functional, good QB back in. Instead of a pipe dream.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's what happens when you put a functional, good QB back in. Instead of a pipe dream.

If any passes are errant or hit the ground tomorrow night, we can assuredly say it's the OL's fault.

Weather aside, Our 1st legit test will not be until game 4, however.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

No doubt everyone is far more familiar with 'this offense.' We know this is a playoff team, even on the cusp with Trey and 'that offense.'

The question will be, did we improve enough from last year's weaknesses to get over the hump?

Will Ryan's defense not immediately fold after going up 2 scores and not defend the dink/dunk to a loss? Will the run blocking be there? Pass protection? Will Jimmy make the key plays? Health? Kyle learn to call a TO? Defense capitalize on TO opportunities? ST make a difference?

Stay tuned...
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 24, 2022 at 10:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone