There are 153 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TOtheGreat:
Christmas came early! Now lets just beat the Cardinals this week. I'll take one win this season

Good to not have to root for them to lose every game.

Keep waiting because I really doubt he plays on Sunday even next one. More likely have him under the helm after bye week vs Seattle specially giving some time to recover Staley and Brown also add more experienced and capable offensive linemen to help him.
[ Edited by NIMV4683 on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:23 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Still can't believe the bomb Lynch just dropped...this is insane

Yeah, we had some good luck coming to us.
So does Kendrick Bourne get asked to give up number 10, or does Garoppolo wear something different?
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
So does Kendrick Bourne get asked to give up number 10, or does Garoppolo wear something different?

Please please please wear #4 Jimmy!
So this hasn't been officially announced by the 49ers or Patriots yet.

I wonder if we get an introductory press conference tomorrow from this?
Originally posted by Homer:

Looks like he wore 10 in High School, 10 in college, and 10 on the Patriots, and a 6th WR has 10 right now. Id bet on him wearing 10.
Jimmy Garoppolo is now one of two starting quarterbacks in the NFC with multiple super bowl rings. Yay QB with some hardware
Originally posted by Homer:

Looks like he wore 10 in High School, 10 in college, and 10 on the Patriots, and a 6th WR has 10 right now. Id bet on him wearing 10.

Yeah F'that... Bourne has just RECENTLY been activated for games. And he looks tiny out there.

Give Jimmy his number rook. You're no Kyle Williams.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
So this hasn't been officially announced by the 49ers or Patriots yet.

I wonder if we get an introductory press conference tomorrow from this?

There should be official word coming from the 49ers and Pats sometime this morning. I don't think the league office in NY was open, when the trade went down.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

I bet Bourne gives it to him.

Originally posted by okdkid:
NBC Sports Boston‏Verified account @NBCSBoston 3h3 hours agoMore
Jimmy Garoppolo 'can't get on the plane fast enough' after trade to #49ers - @MikeGiardi http://bit.ly/2gQbJQN

Haters be like "Nah fake news"
If KS truly wanted JG all along, why wait? The only argument is that the cost was too high this past off season. But, that doesn't hold water, because the worth of a true FQB is beyond cost consideration - almost. The risk analysis for this given choice would not be tenable for anyone whose job was riding on the outcome - and it is fair to say two people's jobs are riding on JG being the one.

What if Brady had gotten hurt this year? The entire plan to get JG is now ruined, and no good business person would risk their entity's future on something that has a fairly high probability of happening - relatively speaking.

So the counter to a ruined plan is what? That Cousins was the next best bet, and you would simply take him if the JG thing did not work? Why? Why would you take someone you valued less? If KS truly thought JG was the better prospect, it is fair to assume he had no plans to go after KC in the off season. His plan, if he had not gotten JG now, would have been to go after JG in the off season - logically speaking.

If you are the Patriots, why get rid of JG if, after all these years of grooming and watching him play, you felt he was worthwhile to your franchise? Clearly the organization, coaching staff, and Brady have enough rapport and respect for each other that Brady's future was promulgated to all who needed to know well before this season began. So, you're telling me they didn't pull the trigger and trade JG this off season? Why? "According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Browns offered a second round pick and change to the Patriots this off season and nothing more. They did not go higher than a second and offer a first rounder." So, the Patriots felt they could get at least a second round pick by waiting. Thus, it was a no lose situation for them. They knew, absolutely, who was interested in JG and what they could get for him. They must have known what the 49ers would give up for him, but they also must have known that by waiting JG's stock could only go up. Hoyer was not going to be the answer, and the chances Beathard was going to be the answer were sufficiently small that the potential risk was far outweighed by the potential benefit(s).

As for cost, JG just guaranteed he will get paid more now than he would have by simply riding out the season on the bench. If he does well, he will get paid at least what KC gets paid, and may be in position to hold it over the 49ers for a contract larger than that of what would have been given to KC. If he does poorly, he will still get a massive amount of money, because I don't think any expert expects him to do a whole lot with what the 49ers have on offense. Plus, when the 49ers gave up a second round pick, they hitched themselves to JG, to where now, they have zero leverage. Absolutely none.

The 49ers gave up a second round pick for someone who was absolutely going to be available come this off season. And, he was absolutely going to cost less this off season than he will now that this trade has occurred - assuming he stayed on the bench in New England. Further, he was not brought in to resurrect this season, so yeah, from a business and logical standpoint, this trade simply does not make sense.

I get it, emotionally, it is awesome. I, like the rest of you, hope JG turns out to be a franchise QB. That being said, no matter how you slice this, the way the 49ers went about this was not business savvy. They could have gotten him for less, and may now find themselves in a serious predicament if JG plays exceptionally well for the remainder of the season...or if he gets hurt behind that porous offensive line.

I don't like this move (today) at all. I hope, truly, to eat my words sometime in the future...the near future.
Originally posted by jrg:

I bet Bourne gives it to him.

For $10k probably. lol
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.

Lol, jrg can see the future.
Share 49ersWebzone