There are 108 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Polkadots:
If KS truly wanted JG all along, why wait? The only argument is that the cost was too high this past off season. But, that doesn't hold water, because the worth of a true FQB is beyond cost consideration - almost. The risk analysis for this given choice would not be tenable for anyone whose job was riding on the outcome - and it is fair to say two people's jobs are riding on JG being the one.

What if Brady had gotten hurt this year? The entire plan to get JG is now ruined, and no good business person would risk their entity's future on something that has a fairly high probability of happening - relatively speaking.

So the counter to a ruined plan is what? That Cousins was the next best bet, and you would simply take him if the JG thing did not work? Why? Why would you take someone you valued less? If KS truly thought JG was the better prospect, it is fair to assume he had no plans to go after KC in the off season. His plan, if he had not gotten JG now, would have been to go after JG in the off season - logically speaking.

If you are the Patriots, why get rid of JG if, after all these years of grooming and watching him play, you felt he was worthwhile to your franchise? Clearly the organization, coaching staff, and Brady have enough rapport and respect for each other that Brady's future was promulgated to all who needed to know well before this season began. So, you're telling me they didn't pull the trigger and trade JG this off season? Why? "According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Browns offered a second round pick and change to the Patriots this off season and nothing more. They did not go higher than a second and offer a first rounder." So, the Patriots felt they could get at least a second round pick by waiting. Thus, it was a no lose situation for them. They knew, absolutely, who was interested in JG and what they could get for him. They must have known what the 49ers would give up for him, but they also must have known that by waiting JG's stock could only go up. Hoyer was not going to be the answer, and the chances Beathard was going to be the answer were sufficiently small that the potential risk was far outweighed by the potential benefit(s).

As for cost, JG just guaranteed he will get paid more now than he would have by simply riding out the season on the bench. If he does well, he will get paid at least what KC gets paid, and may be in position to hold it over the 49ers for a contract larger than that of what would have been given to KC. If he does poorly, he will still get a massive amount of money, because I don't think any expert expects him to do a whole lot with what the 49ers have on offense. Plus, when the 49ers gave up a second round pick, they hitched themselves to JG, to where now, they have zero leverage. Absolutely none.

The 49ers gave up a second round pick for someone who was absolutely going to be available come this off season. And, he was absolutely going to cost less this off season than he will now that this trade has occurred - assuming he stayed on the bench in New England. Further, he was not brought in to resurrect this season, so yeah, from a business and logical standpoint, this trade simply does not make sense.

I get it, emotionally, it is awesome. I, like the rest of you, hope JG turns out to be a franchise QB. That being said, no matter how you slice this, the way the 49ers went about this was not business savvy. They could have gotten him for less, and may now find themselves in a serious predicament if JG plays exceptionally well for the remainder of the season...or if he gets hurt behind that porous offensive line.

I don't like this move (today) at all. I hope, truly, to eat my words sometime in the future...the near future.

You can't just assume he'd be there for the taking after this year. What if pats franchised him? Or traded him to another team like jags or browns and they franchised him? Nothing is ever for certain. If you have the opportunity to get your franchise qb then you do it. We did it and we still get to keep our first round pick, it's a great situation. Plus we won't get into a bidding war with other teams over him.
He was born on the 49th week of 1991. This was fate.

Jimmy was born 6 days after the 1991 49ers blew the Eagles out in Philly 23-7.

2017, the Eagles blow out the 49ers in Philly, Jimmy's traded to the 49ers a day later.

Eagles blowouts = niner charms.
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
i love this!!!

BTW anybody read Petr King's meltdown on twitter??

No what happened?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
If KS truly wanted JG all along, why wait? The only argument is that the cost was too high this past off season. But, that doesn't hold water, because the worth of a true FQB is beyond cost consideration - almost. The risk analysis for this given choice would not be tenable for anyone whose job was riding on the outcome - and it is fair to say two people's jobs are riding on JG being the one.

What if Brady had gotten hurt this year? The entire plan to get JG is now ruined, and no good business person would risk their entity's future on something that has a fairly high probability of happening - relatively speaking.

So the counter to a ruined plan is what? That Cousins was the next best bet, and you would simply take him if the JG thing did not work? Why? Why would you take someone you valued less? If KS truly thought JG was the better prospect, it is fair to assume he had no plans to go after KC in the off season. His plan, if he had not gotten JG now, would have been to go after JG in the off season - logically speaking.

If you are the Patriots, why get rid of JG if, after all these years of grooming and watching him play, you felt he was worthwhile to your franchise? Clearly the organization, coaching staff, and Brady have enough rapport and respect for each other that Brady's future was promulgated to all who needed to know well before this season began. So, you're telling me they didn't pull the trigger and trade JG this off season? Why? "According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Browns offered a second round pick and change to the Patriots this off season and nothing more. They did not go higher than a second and offer a first rounder." So, the Patriots felt they could get at least a second round pick by waiting. Thus, it was a no lose situation for them. They knew, absolutely, who was interested in JG and what they could get for him. They must have known what the 49ers would give up for him, but they also must have known that by waiting JG's stock could only go up. Hoyer was not going to be the answer, and the chances Beathard was going to be the answer were sufficiently small that the potential risk was far outweighed by the potential benefit(s).

As for cost, JG just guaranteed he will get paid more now than he would have by simply riding out the season on the bench. If he does well, he will get paid at least what KC gets paid, and may be in position to hold it over the 49ers for a contract larger than that of what would have been given to KC. If he does poorly, he will still get a massive amount of money, because I don't think any expert expects him to do a whole lot with what the 49ers have on offense. Plus, when the 49ers gave up a second round pick, they hitched themselves to JG, to where now, they have zero leverage. Absolutely none.

The 49ers gave up a second round pick for someone who was absolutely going to be available come this off season. And, he was absolutely going to cost less this off season than he will now that this trade has occurred - assuming he stayed on the bench in New England. Further, he was not brought in to resurrect this season, so yeah, from a business and logical standpoint, this trade simply does not make sense.

I get it, emotionally, it is awesome. I, like the rest of you, hope JG turns out to be a franchise QB. That being said, no matter how you slice this, the way the 49ers went about this was not business savvy. They could have gotten him for less, and may now find themselves in a serious predicament if JG plays exceptionally well for the remainder of the season...or if he gets hurt behind that porous offensive line.

I don't like this move (today) at all. I hope, truly, to eat my words sometime in the future...the near future.

You can't just assume he'd be there for the taking after this year. What if pats franchised him? Or traded him to another team like jags or browns and they franchised him? Nothing is ever for certain. If you have the opportunity to get your franchise qb then you do it. We did it and we still get to keep our first round pick, it's a great situation. Plus we won't get into a bidding war with other teams over him.

Yeah, don't worry so much, Polka. Just know that we got a 25 year old franchise QB for a second round pick. Don't fret everything is cool.

Why would the Patriots pay a backup QB approximately $21.268 million (that number will be bigger next year)? And, why would they franchise him anyway? If they thought Brady only had another year or so they would have worked out a deal for him long term. It seems fairly obvious the Patriots believe they have multiple good years left with Brady running the ship.

If there was truly that much competition for JG he would not have been let go for a mere second round pick.

I agree with you when you say if you have the chance you take it. But that goes to my initial point. JG was available (at least anecdotally) this past off season. If KS truly valued him as his FQB, why would he have waited?

As for the bidding war, why won't we? Has he signed a long term deal with the 49ers? JG is in a much better position to instigate a bidding war now than he was had he stayed in New England riding the pine. He may play six or so games this year (total 23 NFL games played) and go from decent money to the highest paid QB in NFL history.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

2017, the Eagles blow out the 49ers in Philly, Jimmy's traded to the 49ers a day later.

In 1994, the Eagles blew out the 49ers 40-8.

We won the Super Bowl that season.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, don't worry so much, Polka. Just know that we got a 25 year old franchise QB for a second round pick. Don't fret everything is cool.

You don't know me, but I hate being wrong (I mean, I get paid not to be lol). This is one of the few times I sincerely hope I am wrong and this trade turns out to be a historical moment in 49ers' lore - positively, of course
[ Edited by Polkadots on Oct 31, 2017 at 1:03 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.

My name is James and my parents called me "Jimmy G" as a kid.

Why would the Patriots pay a backup QB approximately $21.268 million (that number will be bigger next year)? And, why would they franchise him anyway? If they thought Brady only had another year or so they would have worked out a deal for him long term. It seems fairly obvious the Patriots believe they have multiple good years left with Brady running the ship.

If there was truly that much competition for JG he would not have been let go for a mere second round pick.

I agree with you when you say if you have the chance you take it. But that goes to my initial point. JG was available (at least anecdotally) this past off season. If KS truly valued him as his FQB, why would he have waited?

As for the bidding war, why won't we? Has he signed a long term deal with the 49ers? JG is in a much better position to instigate a bidding war now than he was had he stayed in New England riding the pine. He may play six or so games this year (total 23 NFL games played) and go from decent money to the highest paid QB in NFL history.

They franchised Cassel when Brady was in his prime. They would do it because they could trade him to some desperate team .

There are always teams in the market for QBs, especially after this year. So many teams are solid and just missing a qb. Then you got teams like giants and Steelers where their QBs are clearly declining. It's just not worth the risk if Shanny feels like jimmy is his guy.

It wasn't a mere second our pick. It was a pick that is in the 30s and will only be a few picks behind Pats 1st rounder.

We weren't in the position on 2017 draft to trade picks. They used our first two picks on Solly and Foster.

There won't be a bidding war. He's on our team. We will offer a fair extension and he will accept .
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Oct 31, 2017 at 1:07 AM ]
Originally posted by jrg:
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.

Jimmy G was a WZ member this whole time

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Jimmy G was a WZ member this whole time

Everything is coming full circle.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

You serious?
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

In 1994, the Eagles blew out the 49ers 40-8.

We won the Super Bowl that season.

Yeah, and in 1989 the Eagles literally blew the 49ers out, and it prompted Montana's most underrated comeback. Also the 2011 comeback win in Philly was the game that turned the entire season around.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

You serious?

Yes sir.

jrg

James R. Garoppolo

Iltailians and the 49ers have history
Share 49ersWebzone