Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 199 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
So now the guessing game, start him after the bye against Seattle, or ease him into the Giants game?
Beat harder and Hoyer don't have...................................it.

Garrapallo can try to prove if he will be the backup or starter for this team in the future. If not niners can trade him later because they now have his rights. Good to see Lynch and Shanny actually pressing forward now not later.

Beat hard and Hoyer are just trash.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
49ers.com still hasn't said anything about a Garoppolo trade.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
They franchised Cassel when Brady was in his prime. They would do it because they could trade him to some desperate team .

There are always teams in the market for QBs, especially after this year. So many teams are solid and just missing a qb. Then you got teams like giants and Steelers where their QBs are clearly declining. It's just not worth the risk if Shanny feels like jimmy is his guy.

It wasn't a mere second our pick. It was a pick that is in the 30s and will only be a few picks behind Pats 1st rounder.

We weren't in the position on 2017 draft to trade picks. They used our first two picks on Solly and Foster.

There won't be a bidding war. He's on our team. We will offer a fair extension and he will accept .

Since it's late and we can continue this tomorrow, I only have one question re the bold part. Why would JG accept a fair extension when he has all the leverage? If a better option was on the table, I would fire my agent on the spot if he talked me in to a less than max contract. Perhaps this was all worked out as some sort of contingency before the trade was executed. I don't know.

I am extremely excited and exceptionally pessimistic about this trade, so my head kinda hurts
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:

They always wait till it's official, and I think they'll do a physicals before they make it official?
Originally posted by mayo49:

Jed doesnt pay for overtime.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Beat harder and Hoyer don't have...................................it.

Garrapallo can try to prove if he will be the backup or starter for this team in the future. If not niners can trade him later because they now have his rights. Good to see Lynch and Shanny actually pressing forward now not later.

Beat hard and Hoyer are just trash.

This was one of the biggest reasons I had assumed. Is our o-line complete trash, or are the QBs so remedial they're garbage at making textbook blitz adjustments? Seeing Kyle on the bench with CJ was just embarrassing, like the QB couch couldn't reach the guy.
Originally posted by Polkadots:
They franchised Cassel when Brady was in his prime. They would do it because they could trade him to some desperate team .

There are always teams in the market for QBs, especially after this year. So many teams are solid and just missing a qb. Then you got teams like giants and Steelers where their QBs are clearly declining. It's just not worth the risk if Shanny feels like jimmy is his guy.

It wasn't a mere second our pick. It was a pick that is in the 30s and will only be a few picks behind Pats 1st rounder.

We weren't in the position on 2017 draft to trade picks. They used our first two picks on Solly and Foster.

There won't be a bidding war. He's on our team. We will offer a fair extension and he will accept .

Since it's late and we can continue this tomorrow, I only have one question re the bold part. Why would JG accept a fair extension when he has all the leverage? If a better option was on the table, I would fire my agent on the spot if he talked me in to a less than max contract. Perhaps this was all worked out as some sort of contingency before the trade was executed. I don't know.

I am extremely excited and exceptionally pessimistic about this trade, so my head kinda hurts

Just my assumption. He will get his first opportunity to be the face of an nfl team. He has half a season to build a good relationship with the coaching staff and the team. I'm assuming we will offer him a good deal and he'll take it. We've been pretty generous with contacts anyways, see juice and Garçon.

If he decides to start a bidding war then we can just franchise him. He doesn't have all the leverage , unless he rather get a one year franchise contract instead of a 4 year deal with half guaranteed.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Oct 31, 2017 at 1:26 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Well for one, he doesn't have too much production to give him any leverage. Two, there is no bad blood between the organization and Garappolo so I doubt he tries to drive up any kind of price. But since Jimmy Garappolo is pretty much the franchise QB of the 49ers, I think he'll ask for the average which seems to be between $13 to $20 million a year. My guess is they'll pay him about $12 to $13 million his first year and from there it would escalate, I expect a contract to look something like 5 years $75 million, which is $15 million a year.

Before you think that's unrealistic, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson is getting paid $13 million for 2017.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Niners99:
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.

My name is James and my parents called me "Jimmy G" as a kid.

May his career TD pass totals match your post count.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Orignally posted by mayo49:

Jed doesnt pay for overtime.

Originally posted by stunder49:
Iltailians and the 49ers have history

The 49ers have only been owned by Italians.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stunder49:
Iltailians and the 49ers have history

The 49ers have only been owned by Italians.

Maybe Joe comes by now and gives him some pointers.
Why would the Patriots pay a backup QB approximately $21.268 million (that number will be bigger next year)? And, why would they franchise him anyway? If they thought Brady only had another year or so they would have worked out a deal for him long term. It seems fairly obvious the Patriots believe they have multiple good years left with Brady running the ship.

Know this—the Patriots tried.
They knew what they had with their sweetheart of a quarterback situation, with the greatest of all time as their starter and a 25-year-old star-in-waiting behind him, and they wanted to keep it going. They were willing to pay to make it happen. They were willing to wait on him to close the deal.
But late on Monday night, the Patriots finally gave up hope, because they couldn't give Jimmy Garoppolo what he really wanted: playing time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/30/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots-49ers?

As I understand it, the Patriots put potential solutions in front of Garoppolo in the spring and summer to try to extend their window to pass him the torch that Tom Brady has carried for the last 17 seasons. It would have cost them a lot, but they were willing to carry two starting quarterback contracts on their books to do it. Garoppolo, however, made it clear he that want to be a starter, not just a guy paid like one.

New England was reportedly unwilling to trade him in the spring and was holding on to him with the idea that he'd be replacing Brady down the road. They were even willing to pay him starter money him but Garoppolo actually wanted to be---a starter.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
BTW jrg, you guys have the same initials. James R. Garoppolo. Not sure what the R stands for though.

My name is James and my parents called me "Jimmy G" as a kid.

May his career TD pass totals match your post count.

I hope so!
Share 49ersWebzone