George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 169 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

reasoning about the throw being behind Brandon is validated even more; protecting the receiver. great ball placement.

this is what the telecast didn't show in the replay

What I find most interesting is posters INSISTANCE that it was a great throw. Both players could've done better. Aiyuk's not totally to blame for not getting that one,...but it is expected of him. He caught a bad ball behind him to pretty much end the game as well on the CMac score.

On "protection".....I see it as a farce and I'll Illustrate such from the same video you're posting....

His momentum is having him run to the right. It's not easy to reach back and make every grab.

"Protecting" him would be to keep the ball away from the red arrow,...but that wasn't necessary!!

Mind you,...the telecast is also not catching the way Aiyuk's contorting his body to slow down and reach back, but his legs in this still here does.

Even then with the effort to reach back,...Just a couple feet forward (see the green) and it's a catch,...and it's NOT risking the WR or not protecting him, as the image clearly shows. Even if he was trying to protecting him (which I doubt, just knowing Jimmy), that doesn't suddenly make the ball more catchable from Aiyuk's perspective.

Risking him would be a couple yards forward (again,...red), not feet (green). But I know,...football is a game of inches.

It's just a throw that could've been caught better by Aiyuk (because he's just that good) and could've by chance been thrown better by Jimmy. He had a # of errant ones even on little pressure that night.

LOL.

gonna be a long week.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

reasoning about the throw being behind Brandon is validated even more; protecting the receiver. great ball placement.

this is what the telecast didn't show in the replay

Agreed, good placement from jimmy on that one, aiyuk gotta do better

yep
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
And this ignores the great designs Kyle called which got huge gains. It also ignores the strong possibility on a lot of those first and second downs that EXECUTION was the problem.

How about jimmy and the O did a great job of executing the plays on crucial downs that Kyle put in place? We can give both of them credit?

jimmy benefits from kyles system and play calling while Kyle benefits from Jimmys execution, accuracy, and composure.

Yup. Even if this was one of Kyle's most vanilla game plans ever.

The good news is if we play a 3rd string team in the playoffs, we know we can still have a come-from-behind win in the 4Q with a run-centric game plan playing behind the sticks.

When Mitchell got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 3 yds, 7 yds, 8 yds, 9 yds, 7 yds, 12 yds, 1 yd and 6 yds. When CMC got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 4 yds, -1 yd, -1 yd, 3 yds, 5 yds, 12 yds, 0 yds, 0 yds and -3 yds. When Deebo got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 15 yds, 5 yds and 0 yds. On 1st down, Jimmy threw 3 incompletions, was sacked once and kneeled once. Only 1 pass on 1st down that was completed didn't go for a 1st down but instead went for 8. And 1 pass on 1st down that would have moved the chains ended up being a fumble and a turnover. The only reason that 2nd and long stat that you are throwing around to knock Kyle exists is because most of CMC's 1st down carries went nowhere. Mitchell didn't have that problem running it on 1st down.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

Jimmy just stays winning

https://youtu.be/knS4YKRGReQ

LMAO. They all just ignore Kittle and everyone else around Jimmy.

Jimmy is the ONLY bachelor and has made the most $$$$ in the NFL being mediocre 🤣
Once again:

Chase Daniel has made $42M in the league. Alex Smith made $200M.
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

Jimmy just stays winning

LMAO. They all just ignore Kittle and everyone else around Jimmy.

Jimmy is the ONLY bachelor and has made the most $$$$ in the NFL being mediocre 🤣
Once again:

Chase Daniel has made $42M in the league. Alex Smith made $200M.

I thought Alex married that Raiders Cheerleader.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
And this ignores the great designs Kyle called which got huge gains. It also ignores the strong possibility on a lot of those first and second downs that EXECUTION was the problem.

How about jimmy and the O did a great job of executing the plays on crucial downs that Kyle put in place? We can give both of them credit?

jimmy benefits from kyles system and play calling while Kyle benefits from Jimmys execution, accuracy, and composure.

The good news is if we play a 3rd string team in the playoffs, we know we can still have a come-from-behind win in the 4Q with a run-centric game plan playing behind the sticks.

When Mitchell got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 3 yds, 7 yds, 8 yds, 9 yds, 7 yds, 12 yds, 1 yd and 6 yds. When CMC got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 4 yds, -1 yd, -1 yd, 3 yds, 5 yds, 12 yds, 0 yds, 0 yds and -3 yds. When Deebo got the ball on 1st down he had carries of 15 yds, 5 yds and 0 yds. On 1st down, Jimmy threw 3 incompletions, was sacked once and kneeled once. Only 1 pass on 1st down that was completed didn't go for a 1st down but instead went for 8. And 1 pass on 1st down that would have moved the chains ended up being a fumble and a turnover. The only reason that 2nd and long stat that you are throwing around to knock Kyle exists is because most of CMC's 1st down carries went nowhere. Mitchell didn't have that problem running it on 1st down.

Back up a few more steps. The reason we're a 2nd and long offense is because every DC in the world knows we're running on first downs more than any other team with the exception of three others.

Post #50448
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187983-49ers-head-coach-kyle-shanahan-thread/page3364/

That is not QB-friendly. That is not OL-friendly. IMHO, of course.
There's something oddly comforting about the fact that I can not read this thread for a month and when I pop back in the same conversation that was happening back then is still going on.

Back up a few more steps. The reason we're a 2nd and long offense is because every DC in the world knows we're running on first downs more than any other team with the exception of three others.

Post #50448
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187983-49ers-head-coach-kyle-shanahan-thread/page3364/

So why did Mitchell have so much success on 1st down?
Originally posted by KegBert:
There's something oddly comforting about the fact that I can not read this thread for a month and when I pop back in the same conversation that was happening back then is still going on.

It's like that best friend who now lives in a different state. When you get back together, it's like he never left. LOL

It's like that best friend who now lives in a different state. When you get back together, it's like he never left. LOL

Too true and as someone who lurks more than participates I'd be lyin if I said I didn't enjoy it to some extent.

I feel like I need cataract surgery after seeing some of the stills posted in here. This thread teetered back and forth along the lines of absurdity about 800 times, in both directions. Today it is one flew over the cuckoo's nest crazy.

Post #50448

So why did Mitchell have so much success on 1st down?

I'm not arguing it still can't work. Like I said, it's no secret. The issue is when it's clear the defense is adjusting to it and winning.

If you want to get granular and say one RB was more successful, that's fine.

But the point is, Kyle's run-centric first-down tendency does not make life easy on that OL, RB and eventually, the QB and the passing game. It leaves no room for error esp. when the volume is so small to overcome so many 2nd and longs.

That starts with Kyle. But we as a fan base typically spend our time down stream with the passing game.

Kyle can make this a whole lot easier on everyone. And we've seen that first hand when he has come out more pass-centric and balanced.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I feel like I need cataract surgery after seeing some of the stills posted in here. This thread teetered back and forth along the lines of absurdity about 800 times, in both directions. Today it is one flew over the cuckoo's nest crazy.

Don't feed the random trolls.

Too true and as someone who lurks more than participates I'd be lyin if I said I didn't enjoy it to some extent.

LMAO!
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Still shots do seem to be a slightly inadequate way to analyze such a frenetic game as football.
Share 49ersWebzone