There are 137 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
They geared up for stuffing our run. There's a graph showing how we run the 3rd most of any team on 1st downs. Their DC knows us well from the Rams. It lead to 11 2nd and longs which then lead to negative cumulative yards on 1st and 2nd downs per advanced PFF stats and ultimately, lead to a number of 3rd and 8+'s Jimmy needed to convert to complete a 4Q comeback win.

In short, being that predictable (and stubborn) put both our OL and QB behind an 8-ball. Kyle simply didn't make it easy on a unit that has a number of weapons (and health now).

I had no issues with the game plan originally. We're 24th coming in so I'm sure Kyle wanted to get that going after 2 weeks of gearing up against a defende that struggled against the run. But once it was clear what they were doing (3.8 ypc), I felt Kyle needed to do a better job of switching to pass to set up the run and soften them up before getting back to ground and pound.

That is my biggest issues with Kyle. RZ play calling is the other. If that was your point I completely agree. Was thinking the same thing live.
NC what do you consider 2nd "and long" though? IMO, 2nd and long is much different than 3rd and long (for obvious reasons), and should be treated differently. Like, 2nd and 7 to me isnt 2nd and long, but 3rd and 7 is.

Just curious.
Originally posted by krizay:
His redzone play calling. His not adjusting his pass plays when they take away our run (meaning still constantly motioning and play fakes when no one is biting) is my ONLY issues with Kyle.

This is just my opinion but I think kyle has his reservations on what he can call based on the personnel (QB).

They've been pretty good in RZ TD% in past yrs, but so far it's looked pretty meh. For me the pre-snap motion is to help the QB read the coverage (like others said, it's free no reason not to use it) now post snap that can change and the QB has to recognize that.

sucks I really wanted to see Lance and some more RPOs and read options, that's basically what McDainels is doing in Miami.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Wow! This post is about as dumb as TD's posts about Jimmy today.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
I think that most reasonable people saw yesterday where the problem truly lies. It's not the QB nor the weapons that are the problem, it's the play calling. How many times did we say, with 49ers down by two scores, oh that was GREAT call Kyle, keep being conservative, keep throwing or running those same stupid short plays that the other team has figured out, with no urgency. Right? Then we see the QB be clutch by going beyond what is normally allowed for him to do.

Jimmy used to do this stuff ALL the time before Kyle neutered him. Remember when Kittle had 220 yards in the 1st half, then ZERO in the 2nd? Why? Remember when Kyle threw away Moster & Jeff Wilson, two of his best 49er RBs, like they we were worn-out underwear? Why? Because Kyle is a gutless, petty narcissist that only trusts himself, thinks he is the only reason they win, and the rest are his peons that don't deserve trust or credit. He is THE problem! When the chips are down, he retreats into his "genius" ego and refuses to accept HE is failing. It's always someone else's fault. Can Kyle change? Idk.

Wow! This post is about as dumb as TD's posts about Jimmy today.

Wow! What a well thought out reply with great insight. Must be Kyle's love child, lol.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This is just my opinion but I think kyle has his reservations on what he can call based on the personnel (QB).

They've been pretty good in RZ TD% in past yrs, but so far it's looked pretty meh. For me the pre-snap motion is to help the QB read the coverage (like others said, it's free no reason not to use it) now post snap that can change and the QB has to recognize that.

sucks I really wanted to see Lance and some more RPOs and read options, that's basically what McDainels is doing in Miami.

Redzone wise I completely agree it doesn't appear as if he trusts Jimmy. Which, pre 2022 I would completely understand. This year Jimmy playing with nothing to lose and IMO tis is the best version of Jimmy we've had since he's been here. Thus Kyle needs to open up that RZ offense some more
Redzone wise I completely agree it doesn't appear as if he trusts Jimmy. Which, pre 2022 I would completely understand. This year Jimmy playing with nothing to lose and IMO tis is the best version of Jimmy we've had since he's been here. Thus Kyle needs to open up that RZ offense some more

well will see how it goes
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Buckle up, bro. This is going to linger all week. Random is like the terminator, he absolutely will not stop, until you are dead! Lol

Let's all congratulate Furlow for 1st introducing the thread topic (midgame) he whines about not going away....

Poor Jimmy. So handsome, yet so hated.

I'm sure if I didn't post that, none of the hater crew would have mentioned it.

He doesn't trust Jimmy. Clear as day. Has been for years.

It's why the argument about playcalling is weak. The argument on why they kept him is the valid one. I just think Faithful declaring that Kyle can't develop a QB when his guy has such a small sample is wrong. He has developed QBs consistently. It's just their ceilings were what they were. The elite QB's dont become elite just on the backs of coaching.
Running into stacked boxes repeatedly in the red zone is very frustrating.

KS could be thinking back to Playmaker Jimmy's hold my beer moment vs KC in the redzone

we've got seattle trying to run a 5 man front (Thl408), but we are done with teams who truly playing 5 or more DL fronts. We should be able to expose the defense from now on (whats left on the schedule)
I've been on that side plenty of times, so I get it.

no he said that Jimmy saved kyle's ass (his words I believe) on 3rd downs. Like Kyle's play calling didn't play a part….which I call nonsense.

NC is the one that brought up whatever with that pod, he then called me a lier after I listened to it and it didn't say jacks**t about PFF. He made an assumption about it…then called me a lier, which is chicken s**t. Even you who dislikes me should agree about that.

I said Lombardi saying that it was all Jimmy is in fact an opinion…yes he played a part and that's great, there's play calls that go into all of that. You can't (imo) acknowledge bad play calling on two downs then not talk about good play calling on the most important down (and say it was just QB play).

that's what I'm pointing out. My issue with the offense overall was in the RZ and imo it was lack of execution and play calling. I do agree Kyle got conservative in the 4th

Pat Mahomes saved Andy Reid in the Superbowl.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
His redzone play calling. His not adjusting his pass plays when they take away our run (meaning still constantly motioning and play fakes when no one is biting) is my ONLY issues with Kyle.

The only time Kyle hasn't had reservations about his QB (in the red zone especially) was in 2016 with the Falcons. I imagine if we had Julio Jones in his prime on this team, he would "trust" Jimmy more.
Originally posted by Furlow:

The only time Kyle hasn't had reservations about his QB (in the red zone especially) was in 2016 with the Falcons. I imagine if we had Julio Jones in his prime on this team, he would "trust" Jimmy more.
even if we had Julio, NC says we won't throw to Julio anyways
Originally posted by NCommand:
They geared up for stuffing our run. There's a graph showing how we run the 3rd most of any team on 1st downs. Their DC knows us well from the Rams. It lead to 11 2nd and longs which then lead to negative cumulative yards on 1st and 2nd downs per advanced PFF stats and ultimately, lead to a number of 3rd and 8+'s Jimmy needed to convert to complete a 4Q comeback win.

In short, being that predictable (and stubborn) put both our OL and QB behind an 8-ball. Kyle simply didn't make it easy on a unit that has a number of weapons (and health now).

I had no issues with the game plan originally. We're 24th coming in so I'm sure Kyle wanted to get that going after 2 weeks of gearing up against a defende that struggled against the run. But once it was clear what they were doing (3.8 ypc), I felt Kyle needed to do a better job of switching to pass to set up the run and soften them up before getting back to ground and pound.

That is my biggest issues with Kyle. RZ play calling is the other. If that was your point I completely agree. Was thinking the same thing live.

We weren't alone either.

Appreciate the discussion.
Share 49ersWebzone