Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 208 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Polkadots:
Why would the Patriots pay a backup QB approximately $21.268 million (that number will be bigger next year)? And, why would they franchise him anyway? If they thought Brady only had another year or so they would have worked out a deal for him long term. It seems fairly obvious the Patriots believe they have multiple good years left with Brady running the ship.

Know this—the Patriots tried.
They knew what they had with their sweetheart of a quarterback situation, with the greatest of all time as their starter and a 25-year-old star-in-waiting behind him, and they wanted to keep it going. They were willing to pay to make it happen. They were willing to wait on him to close the deal.
But late on Monday night, the Patriots finally gave up hope, because they couldn't give Jimmy Garoppolo what he really wanted: playing time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/30/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots-49ers?

As I understand it, the Patriots put potential solutions in front of Garoppolo in the spring and summer to try to extend their window to pass him the torch that Tom Brady has carried for the last 17 seasons. It would have cost them a lot, but they were willing to carry two starting quarterback contracts on their books to do it. Garoppolo, however, made it clear he that want to be a starter, not just a guy paid like one.

New England was reportedly unwilling to trade him in the spring and was holding on to him with the idea that he'd be replacing Brady down the road. They were even willing to pay him starter money him but Garoppolo actually wanted to be---a starter.

A)It could be starter money they couldnt match with say....i dont know, us ...
B)AND he was tired of waiting.
C)God bless however the hell this happened and we got him. Im ready to buy his jersey. Im all in baby.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Smoke, where the hell you been man? We got a new FQB.
Has Jimmy had anything to say as a Niner yet?
Originally posted by mayo49:

Lol the line cook homie came outside in the main entrance to yell to me in the patio we got him... I was like;

All i know is the doubters can suck it and im so f**king tired up. I been telling everyone the 40 f**king 9ers will be back ...

Plus i also figured id let this thread exhaust itself before going in hard in the paint. I mean just look at our mew bae...Sorry cee-jay

[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:33 AM ]
https://sports.yahoo.com/garoppolo-cant-plane-fast-enough-014040238.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_07

"Ready to roll. Can't get on a plane fast enough. He's waited for this for a long time," a source close to him said.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
https://sports.yahoo.com/garoppolo-cant-plane-fast-enough-014040238.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_07

"Ready to roll. Can't get on a plane fast enough. He's waited for this for a long time," a source close to him said.

Did we bring in him for a visit when he was coming out? I know Harbs had a boner for him and led his private workout if I'm not mistaken. If we didnt have Kap he probs woulda been a 49er day one. Seems like it was meant to be destiny one way or another

PS- Bourne needs to give up that #10
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:38 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Lol the line cook homie came outside in the main entrance to yell to me in the patio we got him... I was like;

All i know is the doubters can suck it and im so f**king tired up. I been telling everyone the 40 f**king 9ers will be back ...

Plus i also figured id let this thread exhaust itself before going in hard in the paint. I mean just look at our mew bae...Sorry cee-jay

Yeah, I ditched the Beathard bandwagon so we don't have to worry about it anymore. Still rooting for him to be the main backup for the next few years, though. Just, jacked we got Garoppolo.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

Did we bring in him for a visit when he was coming out? I know Harbs had a boner for him and led his private workout if I'm not mistaken. If we didnt have Kap he probs woulda been a 49er day one. Seems like it was meant to be destiny one way or another

PS- Bourne needs to give up that #10

I'm not too sure but I think he meant he has been waiting for an opportunity for a long time.Either way I share the same excitement.

[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well for one, he doesn't have too much production to give him any leverage. Two, there is no bad blood between the organization and Garappolo so I doubt he tries to drive up any kind of price. But since Jimmy Garappolo is pretty much the franchise QB of the 49ers, I think he'll ask for the average which seems to be between $13 to $20 million a year. My guess is they'll pay him about $12 to $13 million his first year and from there it would escalate, I expect a contract to look something like 5 years $75 million, which is $15 million a year.

Before you think that's unrealistic, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson is getting paid $13 million for 2017.

I think this gets to the heart of my concern - his production. Had he stayed in New England he would have no production this year, assuming Brady stays healthy. If that were the case, it seems like he would be worth about what you are suggesting - max. But, what if he lights it up over the last six or so games? I wonder if before the trade was agreed on, the parties came to a consensus re a contract. I would have.

I guess I see things differently in that in business nothing is personal. I have had full on salary wars with people I consider very good friends, granted my income was no where near what these guys make so maybe after so many million per year that's enough .

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Just my assumption. He will get his first opportunity to be the face of an nfl team. He has half a season to build a good relationship with the coaching staff and the team. I'm assuming we will offer him a good deal and he'll take it. We've been pretty generous with contacts anyways, see juice and Garçon.

If he decides to start a bidding war then we can just franchise him. He doesn't have all the leverage , unless he rather get a one year franchise contract instead of a 4 year deal with half guaranteed.

I don't claim to understand the inner financial workings of the NFL, but the franchise tag description states the following : "The designated franchise player will have his one-year salary guaranteed if he elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag and if he does not negotiate a contract with another team." So, is it all guaranteed or only half like you wrote? Or, are you saying half a 4 year deal is guaranteed, and by association that amount is larger? I think you are saying the latter correct?

Is that how contracts in the NFL work? I mean, is x amount just guaranteed by default? Isn't that negotiable?
"49ers' trade for Jimmy Garoppolo comes with little risk, plenty of upside"

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/28455/49ers-trade-for-jimmy-garoppolo-comes-with-little-risk-and-plenty-of-upside

Has any1 confirmed which 2nd round pick it was?
Jersey #4 would be awesome.

I believe our second round pick, not the Saints.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:54 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:55 AM ]

Ours.

f**k Im already thinking trading down in the 1st if we get a top 3 pick and selecting a Sutton/BP(assRusher)A

Id be nice to get a 2nd back,maybe another 3rd or a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.
Share 49ersWebzone