Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Some of that is valid, but you're still off target from DJ's post (which you acknowledge in your first sentence). On top of that, when you slip into your conclusory statements about Garoppolo's performance being an anomaly and speak in absolutes about his future, your narrative shines through.

Happy Turkey Day.
i'm just looking at reality and using all the facts from what we have on the matter. Not sure how you can say jimmy will play this way from now on and the season hasn't even finished yet, nor made it to Jimmy's witching hour (the post season)

Did I say that?
when you accused of me having a narrative and emphasized it, yes.. or you would have said nothing on it or agreed..

Refuting an absolute statement does not create an absolute statement to the contrary. Moments ago, I posted that we don't know the outcome until the games are played, but there's plenty of reason for optimism.

Intellectual honesty is so important to meaningful communication.
lol.. if you don't know the outcome then there isn't a way to have optimism,, yet you do.

Life/discussions doesn't stop because we don't know the outcome.. we're discussing the resigning. DJ is saying we could do it.. i'm saying there is a big risk if we do

It's like we're speaking different languages. Optimism exists only in the presence of uncertainty. Knowing the outcome of something affirmatively precludes the existence of optimism.

The risk you're identifying is off target from DJ's post. Not going to explain that to you again.
we are speaking in different languages as i never said i knew the outcome. and if DJ is not talking about resigning jimmy then .. i'm in the wrong
Some of that is valid, but you're still off target from DJ's post (which you acknowledge in your first sentence). On top of that, when you slip into your conclusory statements about Garoppolo's performance being an anomaly and speak in absolutes about his future, your narrative shines through.

Happy Turkey Day.
i'm just looking at reality and using all the facts from what we have on the matter. Not sure how you can say jimmy will play this way from now on and the season hasn't even finished yet, nor made it to Jimmy's witching hour (the post season)

Did I say that?
when you accused of me having a narrative and emphasized it, yes.. or you would have said nothing on it or agreed..

Refuting an absolute statement does not create an absolute statement to the contrary. Moments ago, I posted that we don't know the outcome until the games are played, but there's plenty of reason for optimism.

Intellectual honesty is so important to meaningful communication.
lol.. if you don't know the outcome then there isn't a way to have optimism,, yet you do.

Life/discussions doesn't stop because we don't know the outcome.. we're discussing the resigning. DJ is saying we could do it.. i'm saying there is a big risk if we do

It's like we're speaking different languages. Optimism exists only in the presence of uncertainty. Knowing the outcome of something affirmatively precludes the existence of optimism.

The risk you're identifying is off target from DJ's post. Not going to explain that to you again.
we are speaking in different languages as i never said i knew the outcome. and if DJ is not talking about resigning jimmy then .. i'm in the wrong

This is going nowhere. Have a good holiday.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Talking down on Young to prop up Jimmy. What in the hell is wrong with you people.

Analogies are hard.

Relax. He has 10+ games or so to prove he's a top tier QB. We'll need more than good or solid results though, just looking at our supporting cast.

We'll need results like he had in Mehico.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Steve young was the top QB or QBs in the league. He also won two MVPs, SBMVP and a SB

And he choked in many big games.
Sucks but it is the truth.
Loved him but he pissed me off in big games.
Great players lose, it's inevitable

Oh plz. Steve had nowhere near the supporting cast that Jimmy now has,...lol. His OL was garbage for much of the time he was there.

Once the cupboard was full,...the world was his.

The team he had to face year in year out, Dallas, wasn't too bad neither.

Jimmy will NEVER reach Steve Young's level, because he's not that kind of player,...and that's perfectly okay.
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 24, 2022 at 2:54 PM ]
  • da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
Jimmy has redeemed himself. Having top shelf talent helps, but I'm down to roll with him for another 3 years.

i would be too. At least another year.
Originally posted by dj43:
i'm looking at the bigger picture here.. not just for next year and the draft picks that are gone does matter when we have to sign/replace players that retire/not-signed/sign elsewhere.

We have 24 FAs next year with about 14 of them being starters or 2nd string guys making great contributions. we won't be able to keep those guys at the same rate
Still need to sign bosa to a max (which his we won't be a direct impact in 2023, but his Gtd money will)
Still need to pay CMC
We still need add better needs/players and not just keep the same team

And the biggest factor of my post, This jimmy resigning idea is based as if this jimmy will be the standard for the future. But it's not, it's an anomaly (a good one). Odds are out of the 8 years of jimmy, he won't be able to do this again.

On top of that anomaly is that the season still have a long long way to go.

Do we sign jimmy and go back to a QB manager and possibly waste more years ?

tough call

It really isn't a tough call. You really do have to look at the bigger picture. That bigger picture includes a MINIMUM of $46,000,000 in the bank account by 2025.

CMC is locked up throughout 2025. That is the big picture.

Now we can sign/extend the guys we need with backloaded contracts to fit under the cap.

Now the question is; what QB do you want? The guy that Steve Young says has made so much progress under Brian Griese that he wants him back for 10 more years or let him walk and go with a very inexperienced QB that has only shown well against the worst team in the league?

Happy Thanksgiving. The turkey is coming off the BBQ.
I'm not posting to knock jimmy.. but you're banking on two years from now when we will have new contracts and different players that can eat up that cap

CMC is locked up, but will we do him dirty like that (he has no Gtd money with us) most likely we will redo his contract to reward him

Back loaded contracts.. that not a recipe for this regime

Steve young says a lot things, you are also in the anti-kyle group which you questioned him and his entire staff.. now you are praising BG.

it's a tough call as we don't know which jimmy we will get. Do we say no to Brady again.. do we pass on AA ron if available

If we do make this a memorable year.. this resigning issue would be a great problem to have

Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 24, 2022 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Witching hour. 2 nfcc and a super bowl appearance. Gamevwinning drive against packers cowboys.seriously?

Game winning drive against the Packers or Cowboys? Guess I don't remember that. I remember Jimmy throwing a pick and trying to give the Dallas game to the Cowboys, I remember our ST blocking a punt against GB.
Steve young says a lot things, you are also in the anti-kyle group which you questioned him and his entire staff.. now you are praising BG.

it's a tough call as we don't know which jimmy we will get. Do we say no to Brady again.. do we pass on AA ron if available

Love Steve but what was he saying b4 the game? I mean,...it's kinda his job to say stuff. Regardless what anyone says, there's at least 10 games left with studs across the roster.

A couple games here there is not proof that someone needs a longterm extension,...lol. But the talking heads still have to talk. I get it.

But why is everyone in a need to rush to conclusions?
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
Jimmy has redeemed himself. Having top shelf talent helps, but I'm down to roll with him for another 3 years.

He hasn't redeemed a damn thing yet. He's had a few good games. The 3 game streak he's riding without a pick is the longest in his career. If he keeps it up the rest of the season and through the playoffs we can talk redemption. Hell, maybe he can even play himself into another massive deal on another team.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Oh....my.....lord. Did you just say Kyle shouldn't/wouldn't have immense game-planning if we had, say, Josh Allen?

No. That's not what I said. My comments were on the abilities of Josh Allen compared to Jimmy G.

You can literally gameplan around Josh Allen's talents. He's the kind of QB that's developing into a player you can ask to go win you the game. Carry the load.

With Jimmy....you give him everything and you generally ask him to get the ball to his playmakers and not f**k up.

Another failed spin, btw.

These are 2 players that are just in completely different categories. If you have some ideas on Kyle's gameplanning abilities you should share them with NC.

Guys,....just tuned into the game earlier a couple times. We still doing this "Jimmy G can do more or be more for a team or be more coveted right now than Josh Allen" thing??

We have yet to win a game giving up 20 or more points,...yet the Bills have 4 wins giving up 20 or more,...not to mention a couple losses.
Talk about luxury.

I mean now that the nostalgia has warn off a little,....lol....can we concede this if nothing else? Josh Allen??
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 24, 2022 at 3:31 PM ]

Originally posted by 49ersRing:

A bit harsh, but I never played QB in the NFL, so I'll defer to the experts.

Did you watch the whole video where he praised Jimmy the entire time? Or just found the one nugget to take a shot at Jimmy?

"One of his biggest fans" 🤡

What I liked from his video is that Jimmy mostly had outstanding mechanics. Historically he's done the weird hop pass thing. But he seems to have worked on that.

In addition, maybe the biggest thing here, is that Jimmy has started being deadly on second reaction plays. These two things have made him much more dangerous (both pointed out by JTO), as well as the third thing he's done, IMHO, which is he's improved on his progressions and post-snap adjustments.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Did you watch the whole video where he praised Jimmy the entire time? Or just found the one nugget to take a shot at Jimmy?

What I liked from his video is that Jimmy mostly had outstanding mechanics. Historically he's done the weird hop pass thing. But he seems to have worked on that.

In addition, maybe the biggest thing here, is that Jimmy has started being deadly on second reaction plays. These two things have made him much more dangerous (both pointed out by JTO), as well as the third thing he's done, IMHO, which is he's improved on his progressions and post-snap adjustments.
all these QBs won't be NFL QBs if they didn't have the mechanics. The difference is being comfortable to actually use them when the bullets start flying... and it looks like he's getting more and more comfortable
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Agreed with all. I'm starting to get on the "Brian Griese effect" train that others have mentioned.

Its an overstatement to pick on this one play -- which was successful -- and say he turned down the quarters beater he doesnt have the temperament for a first class qb. There could be a lot involved really. Maybe that wasnt the route he was supposed to run, or the vertical was intended to influence the mccaffrey route etc. And the play got the first down. So it was successful. I mean, i think you need to see a few more decisions like that before you come to a conclusion.
Originally posted by random49er:
Guys,....just tuned into the game earlier a couple times. We still doing this "Jimmy G can do more or be more for a team or be more coveted right now than Josh Allen" thing??

We have yet to win a game giving up 20 or more points,...yet the Bills have 4 wins giving up 20 or more,...not to mention a couple losses.
Talk about luxury.

I mean now that the nostalgia has warn off a little,....lol....can we concede this if nothing else? Josh Allen??

If he didn't lead the league in turnovers then maybe his defense wouldn't give up 20 points
Share 49ersWebzone