Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 246 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Again, I said look at it all you want. Although your graphic shows that Baker Mayfield is "better" than Aaron Rodgers?

Where the hell does it say that Baker is better than Rodgers?

It's simply displaying facts between a certain # of seasons.

How you interpret the facts is up to you.

I can argue that 3 completions that distance is more than Baker's 2, so Aaron Rodgers wins. So what? It's just an example that gives perspective.

I can guarantee you that 5 additional passes over the course of 13 seasons isin't going to make ANY 1 QB better than the other.

Favre,...those were his last couple of seasons after a long career. Again, facts and perspective.

40% > 30%. Baker GOAT

random
Again, I said look at it all you want. Although your graphic shows that Baker Mayfield is "better" than Aaron Rodgers?

I can argue that 3 completions that distance is more than Baker's 2, so Aaron Rodgers wins. So what? It's just an example that gives perspective.

I can guarantee you that 5 additional passes over the course of 13 seasons isin't going to make ANY 1 QB better than the other.

Favre,...those were his last couple of seasons after a long career. Again, facts and perspective.

So you're just parroting stats with no point behind them? Interesting...while you're at it, can you throw up Garoppolo's W-L record as a starter?
40% > 30%. Baker GOAT

random

Uhmmm,...ok. I notice you were noncommital on the question of should it always be completely ignored or not,...so good dodge.

Since there's this suddenly weird fear of facts and how far QBs throw on a football forum of all places.....let's add some more, shall we?

Jimmy went 20 for 29,.....thought it'd be interesting to highlight comparison games since Kyler Murray went 20 for 29 earlier this year as well vs. our next opponent.... and Nick Mullens did as well in this offense in 2018.

It's pretty cool numbers-wise because you can compare all of their makes and their misses evenly.

So some side-by-side looks @ the attacked and successful areas highlighting true depth of targets ...

[ Edited by random49er on Nov 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
So you're just parroting stats with no point behind them? Interesting...while you're at it, can you throw up Garoppolo's W-L record as a starter?

I'm just highlighting why they're nothing to be scared of and as the charts above show,...you can gain more perspective about games. I mean this is a football forum, right?
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 24, 2022 at 8:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I just want the 9ers to win a Super Bowl I could give two s**ts about air yards and top 10 status. If the 9ers ran the wildcat all season and won a Super Bowl with it, I would still be a proud 49er fan.

Fantasy football mindset has ruined fandom.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I just want the 9ers to win a Super Bowl I could give two s**ts about air yards and top 10 status. If the 9ers ran the wildcat all season and won a Super Bowl with it, I would still be a proud 49er fan.

Seriously.

We arguing about Hail Mary stats now?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:

I'm trying to figure out if this is real life lol.

Air yards have nothing to do with fantasy football.
Originally posted by Tman:

I'm trying to figure out if this is real life lol.

Who 1st made an argument about the graphic?? You know it was you, right?

I simply posted a chart. Why does data scar you so much? Maybe the game's simply passed you by?
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 25, 2022 at 12:06 AM ]

Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Air yards have nothing to do with fantasy football.

Air yards have ruined football. Madden has ruined football. Fantasy has ruined football. Stats have ruined football Analytics have ruined football.

There is one goal. One goal only.

Win a f**king superbowl. I don't give a s**t how it's done.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Nov 25, 2022 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
The discussion was about explosive plays, which we're clearly good at. The point is why does it matter if it's from air yards or YAC/accuracy?

It matters if you're comparing 1 QB and their impact on the game to another. Before the discussion was about explosive plays, it was about the impact our QB has on the game, rating systems, et. al.

I mean the scoreboard doesnt care whether it was a 79 yard run after a 1 yard throw or not.

Common sense would tell you though that how far the QB throws the ball would be a good metric to look at if you're going to compare QBs (right along with other metrics).

No sense in trying to hide from the painfully obvious.

He didn't make it past coaching pee wee football for a reason.

Rule 1 Be respectful of our online community. Contribute to an engaging conversation rather than resort to personal attacks, threats, or anything that may be considered offensive.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

A bit harsh, but I never played QB in the NFL, so I'll defer to the experts.

Did you watch the whole video where he praised Jimmy the entire time? Or just found the one nugget to take a shot at Jimmy?

"One of his biggest fans" 🤡

What I liked from his video is that Jimmy mostly had outstanding mechanics. Historically he's done the weird hop pass thing. But he seems to have worked on that.

In addition, maybe the biggest thing here, is that Jimmy has started being deadly on second reaction plays. These two things have made him much more dangerous (both pointed out by JTO), as well as the third thing he's done, IMHO, which is he's improved on his progressions and post-snap adjustments.
all these QBs won't be NFL QBs if they didn't have the mechanics. The difference is being comfortable to actually use them when the bullets start flying... and it looks like he's getting more and more comfortable

You can literally see when his mechanics fail him, and you can literally see historically this is precisely why he's been all over the place on deep balls.

So you're argument is that he abandoned his mechanics previously because he was jittery. That's probably true. But in 2017 for example he did it even with a completely clean pocket (the over throw on the deep cross against the Jaguars is one particular play you can look at). I'd argue that wasn't him being jittery. I'd argue the reason he has done that historically is to speed up the process of getting the ball to the target, and if he's gotten more calm back there, instead of rushing, he may just be starting the motion early, allowing him to get his feet set on time to deliver when he wants to.
his drop back is fine.. it's just when he doesn't get to throw to his first progression... he starts tap dancing. that tapping has been getting less and less with every game.

as for 2017.. our QBs were getting killed.. especially CJB. I would be a little nervous taking over

This is the jimmy i've been waiting for actually (take advantage of the entire field).. i hope he keeps it up

I'll have to strongly disagree with this. You can hate the source, but I'm gonna say it's accurate:

EDIT-- oh, the drop back isn't the historical issue. Go to 9:09.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Nov 25, 2022 at 2:05 AM ]
Air yards just tells you who is more responsible for the final yards total. I personally think of it like this: if the ball goes 10 yards, and the QB throws the ball 5 yards, then the QB is responsible for between 6 and 7 of those yards on average if the pass is accurate, 3-4 if the pass is not accurate. It can tell you something about the difficult of the throw, but not always.

It doesn't mean anything more than that.

And where the stat matters isn't, IMHO, on deep passes. It's on mid-range passes. That, IMHO is where games are won. The 10-20 yard passes. And like YPA, you're going to have a higher number for completed air yards if you're completing more of these passes. Nevertheless, while air yards DOES correlate with winning (it absolutely does, so let's stop pretending it's meaningless), it does NOT correlate strongly with winning, in the way touchdowns or third down conversions do.
5th highest passer rating in NFL history 👀

at some point you gotta say good job. He certainly doesn't stink and is a starting NFL QB. Dude will end up making well over $200M by the end of his career. That's nothing to sneeze at.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 25, 2022 at 3:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone