Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 248 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
In honor of the great Jeff Foxworth, if you spend all your time with post after post writing long story novels nitpicking the best QB this franchise has had in the 21 century who just came off a 4 TD performance

you might be a Jimmy G hater

Denigrator.

Denigrator.

Denigrator.

We settled all this over a week ago. Please try to keep up.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Fun fact: Jimmy has the highest TD% (7.3%) over the last 3 weeks.

For the record, last year TD% had a 0.7236 correlation with win%, which is more than twice as important as air yards.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

For the record, last year TD% had a 0.7236 correlation with win%, which is more than twice as important as air yards.

Who would have figured that?
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I said explosive plays thru the air.

I was merely showing that how we are doing it is working

Why does it matter how they look?

Because air yards are dope for highlights, bro.

Air yards tell you roughly how much credit the QB should get for a play (with the one caveat being that throwing in stride helps YAC). It is not hugely important to winning, but there is still a positive correlation. Interceptions per pass attempt are only SLIGHTLY more important to winning and losing in terms of win% correlation than completed air yards per pass attempt (CAY/ATT correlated with winning with a Pearson correlation coefficient of 0.3161, INT's coefficient was -0.3519).

The irony here is that Jimmy was top ten in CAY/ATT last year.

The reason why Jimmy not being near the top shouldn't entirely be considered a flaw, of course, is that if YOU had Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle, Aiyuk, Juice and Jennings to throw to, you might consider the fact that with guys like that, you can probably still get big plays without the risk of throwing it further down field.

But air yards still gives you a rough idea about how much the QB contributed to a given completion.

The discussion was about explosive plays, which we're clearly good at. The point is why does it matter if it's from air yards or YAC/accuracy? I would agree that air yards has a positive correlation to winning, but that doesn't mean that chucking it up for the sake of getting air yards is smart. And that's essentially what the Jimmy detractors say - "just throw it deep." I'd like to see some deep shots too, personnel that specialize in that (like Gray) would/will help. But it has to happen organically, not just forced for the hell of it.

The 2022 version of Kyle and Jimmy is their best yet. Whether it's his repaired shoulder, Kyle loosening the reigns, Jimmy chirping at Kyle, Jimmy saying F it and letting it rip, Griese/footwork/mechanics, CMC, or a combination of some/all of those - I don't personally care. It's working and it's fun to watch. We can absolutely win the Super Bowl with this recipe. And if we do, I think the entire narrative around Jimmy drastically changes.

Generally speaking, whether "just throw it deep" is good depends on the context. An interception on a deep pass, if the offense makes the tackle, is essentially an early punt. Taking the risk has benefits, if it's done at a reasonable rate, including PI, a catch, and making the defense think twice about loading the box.

As for the Jimmy narrative, the only one who can change that is Jimmy, and he'll do that by playing consistently at the level he did Monday. Monday it did look like he has made some strides in a few areas he needed some polishing on, including second reaction plays (shown this earlier in the year), better execution of progressions, and much less frequent "WTF ARE YOU DOING" footwork.

I just figured if I'm going to bring up CAY/A having a slight positive correlation with winning, and INTs/game having a less than expected correlation with losing, that I ought to point out that TD% is one of the best indicators of winning quarterback play. And Jimmy through his career has usually done pretty good.
I just figured if I'm going to bring up CAY/A having a slight positive correlation with winning, and INTs/game having a less than expected correlation with losing, that I ought to point out that TD% is one of the best indicators of winning quarterback play. And Jimmy through his career has usually done pretty good.

i mean TD% is obviously important but as a stat its kind of misleading what about if we run it in? that doesn't really come up as TD% but obviously TD% will correlate higher to winning because higher TD% = more points

what i look at is how the offense function
yards/play
points/drive

to me those two are the most important stats into how the QB and offense is functioning
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
Originally posted by dj43:
Good observation. Your point is at the heart of the story on Spotrac as to why Jimmy will accept a less-than-top-market deal to stay with the team next season.

By the end of this season, he will have been paid over $125,000,000 in his career. He is represented by a very good agent, the same one as Tom Brady, who has provided him with sound investment opportunities. Jimmy is already well-settled for the rest of his life. Hence, it is reasonable to expect JG to do the same as Brady, and take a lower salary in order to keep key players around him. What Jimmy wants, and what all of the Faithful want, is a ring. He will do his part to get it.

Ultimately, I believe it comes down to does Kyle and John want to install Jimmy as the Franchise QB again or not. Also wether Jimmy wants to be the guy. I believe if this happens, Trey is traded or he is Aaron Rodgers for the next 2-3 years. I think he would be traded personally.

In that case, the FO will attempt to recoup some of the draft capital it spent on TL. The question is; will any team see enough value in him to make an offer worth accepting? IMO, if the best offer is a 2nd round pick or less, Lance becomes Aaron Rodgers, Part II.

I agree. Most fans simply look at accumulative stats and make judgements based off of them. They never consider efficiency stats and how they are a better determining factor in wins and losses.
Originally posted by ritz126:

i mean TD% is obviously important but as a stat its kind of misleading what about if we run it in? that doesn't really come up as TD% but obviously TD% will correlate higher to winning because higher TD% = more points

what i look at is how the offense function
yards/play
points/drive

to me those two are the most important stats into how the QB and offense is functioning

Those are great when looking at an offense as a whole. But at some point we want to be able to separate the player from the offense and determine how much praise or blame he should get for winning or losing.
In that case, the FO will attempt to recoup some of the draft capital it spent on TL. The question is; will any team see enough value in him to make an offer worth accepting? IMO, if the best offer is a 2nd round pick or less, Lance becomes Aaron Rodgers, Part II.

why is everyone thinking short term is my question

we already have a great roster whats wrong with Lance sitting being Jimmy for a few years if Jimmy keeps playing well and stays healthy? Lance was already very raw coming out and while i do think playing him will speed up his development it shouldn't be at the cost of a SB. Keeping Lance could potentially benefit us for 10+ years i mean lets be honest at best Jimmy has 3-4 years max. Why trade him when he can benefit the franchise for 10+ years

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
5th highest passer rating in NFL history 👀

at some point you gotta say good job. He certainly doesn't stink and is a starting NFL QB. Dude will end up making well over $200M by the end of his career. That's nothing to sneeze at.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

Solid find, man.
In all this analysis, which is interesting, there should be extra credit for the QB if he gets the ball out before the OL is charged with a hit or a hurry. Since the QB is downgraded for taking a sack, he should get compensating credit for a play that benefits his OL teammates in their rating. Of course, there would have to be some balancing factor against the downgrade in air yards.

Obviously, I am being somewhat facetious, however, it does point out where fantasy football numbers have impacted the way fans view the game and the players. FF generates billion$ of dollars in ad revenue for the league and FanDuel and other gambling sites. Hence, all of these numbers create interest even though the numbers themselves are incidental to the outcome of the game. When the lead commercial on TNF Amazon Prime is about gambling/FF, we can get a good idea of the impact that aspect of NFL ball has on the overall revenue stream.

Well, that is the best I can do to contribute this morning as I try to overcome the indulgence at the table yesterday. Hope you all had a lot to be thankful for yesterday, and today.

Preach. I really wish stats would be bucketed into styles, scheme, etc. Like QB. Throwing them all into one bucket as if they all share the same philosophy, style, systems, etc. just doesn't tell THE story. It tells A story.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 25, 2022 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
No doubt Jimmy has played as good as he ever has the past 3 weeks. Having another weapon like CMC has made it easier for everyone, Kyle included.

When Jimmy looks at his options next year, he'll have a hard time finding a team that has as many weapons, as good a play designer and still has a need for a QB. He can't just go to any team that's willing to pay and expect success. He's with a team that has as many weapons as any team in the league and has a better than average O line anchored by the best left tackle in the league. He has 3 of the best YAC receivers in the league which allows Kyle to call plays that allow Jimmy to get the ball out quickly so he doesn't need to try and throw downfield. Finding a team that's loaded like the Niners and runs a similar offense and needs a QB won't be easy.

Good observation. Your point is at the heart of the story on Spotrac as to why Jimmy will accept a less-than-top-market deal to stay with the team next season.

By the end of this season, he will have been paid over $125,000,000 in his career. He is represented by a very good agent, the same one as Tom Brady, who has provided him with sound investment opportunities. Jimmy is already well-settled for the rest of his life. Hence, it is reasonable to expect JG to do the same as Brady, and take a lower salary in order to keep key players around him. What Jimmy wants, and what all of the Faithful want, is a ring. He will do his part to get it.

As one of Jimmy's biggest fans, I find it a bit disrespectful to ask him to take less than he's worth. We didn't ask Deebo or Warner or Kittle or Trent Williams to take less than they're worth. We won't ask Bosa to take less than he's worth. All of those guys could have made half of what they're currently making and would still have been set for life, but we paid them what the market has dictated they're worth. Why should Jimmy be the one that has to sacrifice money to remain with the team? He has one of the highest QB ratings of all-time and one of the highest W/L ratios of all-time, but he should be paid less than Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray, or Deshaun Watson? Doesn't seem right. Other QBs have earned $100m+ before signing record breaking deals, so that shouldn't matter either.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
No doubt Jimmy has played as good as he ever has the past 3 weeks. Having another weapon like CMC has made it easier for everyone, Kyle included.

When Jimmy looks at his options next year, he'll have a hard time finding a team that has as many weapons, as good a play designer and still has a need for a QB. He can't just go to any team that's willing to pay and expect success. He's with a team that has as many weapons as any team in the league and has a better than average O line anchored by the best left tackle in the league. He has 3 of the best YAC receivers in the league which allows Kyle to call plays that allow Jimmy to get the ball out quickly so he doesn't need to try and throw downfield. Finding a team that's loaded like the Niners and runs a similar offense and needs a QB won't be easy.

As one of Jimmy's biggest fans, I find it a bit disrespectful to ask him to take less than he's worth. We didn't ask Deebo or Warner or Kittle or Trent Williams to take less than they're worth. We won't ask Bosa to take less than he's worth. All of those guys could have made half of what they're currently making and would still have been set for life, but we paid them what the market has dictated they're worth. Why should Jimmy be the one that has to sacrifice money to remain with the team? He has one of the highest QB ratings of all-time and one of the highest W/L ratios of all-time, but he should be paid less than Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray, or Deshaun Watson? Doesn't seem right. Other QBs have earned $100m+ before signing record breaking deals, so that shouldn't matter either.

Because getting the ball out quick, converting 3rd down, making the OL look better than it is, getting long sustain drive so defense don't have to be on field 60% of the time, winning don't matter to 9ers org and fans, HE IS NOT EXCITING and don't get fantasy football points.

Fans think he only throws 10-20 yard easy passes, but they don't see how many of those tight ass throws and if other QB throws those with a slower release might end with interception. The locker room knows he is making everyone better, but fans don't know
Share 49ersWebzone