There are 220 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So 49ers should move on from Jimmy if he wins a Super Bowl, that would be one of the dumbest moves in 49ers history.

Why? Do you think he's the only QB that could win a SB for this all-star roster? Do you think he's something so special that we have to pay him another $150M+ instead of playing someone like Bosa?

after Joe Flacco's stupid playoff run, he had 2 +.500 seasons in Baltimore

If he goes on a playoff run like Flacco and wins a Superbowl mvp, then I see a world where the Niners pay him on pure emotion.

I think you really underestimate how badly the fans want to win a Lombardi here. They're not going to react to this with logic
So 49ers should move on from Jimmy if he wins a Super Bowl, that would be one of the dumbest moves in 49ers history.

Philly moved on from Foles. Baltimore moved on from Dilfer. Neither were dumbest moves in their history.

Why? Do you think he's the only QB that could win a SB for this all-star roster? Do you think he's something so special that we have to pay him another $150M+ instead of playing someone like Bosa?

I don't know. It's been 6 years and he is the best qb Shanahan has been able to find by a mile. Still waiting for someone else and I'm not getting any younger.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Goatie:

Yards per game average

Jimmy G - 241.8

Steve Young - 199.4

Joe Montana - 210.3

Jfc

But but but

Average Yards Per Play

Jimmy G 8.3

Steve Young 8.2

Joe Montana 7.6

Jimmy isn't anywhere near those guys. With that said, everyone likes pointing out how Jimmy has all this talent around him. Young had rice, Taylor, Jones, waters, Floyd. That team was f**king stacked.

Joe and Steve had great talent around them but they faced a lot of other teams with great talent. Comparing numbers is a joke because the eras were so different. Defenses were much tougher in the 80s and 90s because the rules allowed them to actually hit the QB and jam up the receivers. The passing game wasn't nearly as wide open as it is now. Plus you didn't have receivers wearing sticky gloves that allowed them to catch the ball one handed like they do now.

Jimmy is playing well but trying to compare him to 2 HOF QBs is silly. Jimmy isn't even an all pro QB. It's like trying to say gasoline must be better now than it was in the 80s because it cost more.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Dec 2, 2022 at 7:48 AM ]
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by jcs:
Assuming a lot here. Trey could be the starter the year....he could also not. Jimmy could depart at the end of the season...he could also not.

This is IMO closer to the reality as things have developed. There is a new window open today that wasn't here in June that potentially has this team moving on from Trey and rolling with Jimmy long term.

I see zero shot of him coming back unless he goes on a Joe Flacco playoff run and wins a Superbowl.

I said it doesn't even matter if he wins the SB, he ain't carrying and he ain't going to be SB MVP, chances are very low that happens, and if the team does, even more reasons some other team gets him, the 9% or less of NFL teams who is QB1 needy with no better options will be willing to give out a big contract.

Also consider this, IF the team wins the SB bring back Jimmy this season as a backup was GENIUS and the 9ers FINALLY got their money's worth for reals and got LUCKY if that happens after paying him tons already for choking SB and the NFCC last season who is not a franchise QB never make probowl and has tons of limitations and is passed 30, time to cut bait and move on. If not and they decided to give Jimmy another big money contract to out bid other teams as he's a FA that would be stupid because YOU AIN'T GOING TO REPEAT SB AGAIN WITH JIMMY AS QB1 (IN NFL HISTORY, HAS THAT HAPPEN 1 TIME WITH A NON PROBOWL QB REPEATING OR WINNING MULTIPLE SBs for any team thats dumb enough to retain them?), THAT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST NFL MIRACLE EVER LOL ROFL LMAO 🤣!!!!

When you put EVERYTHING in context, Move on with Trey next season with zero QB controversy is in the best interest of the team, the salary cap, and future, it's a no brainer, Pointless argument.

Steve Young hyping on Jimmy was a irresponsible joke and no one should ever take him seriously anymore just like all the sports media that said KAP was going to be a HOFer when he made ZERO PROBOWLS LOL 🤡🤣
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 2, 2022 at 7:56 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Its silly that you don't think so. The 49ers are winning right now and at worst they'll be in the playoffs….AGAIN. In 2019, Jimmy helped the 9ers get to the Super Bowl. And last year the NFCC. It's ridiculous how you people hate on Jimmy but he keeps shutting you people up by winning, and when he does win you guys bring up some stupid s**t like….but but but what about air yards. GTFO here with that noise.

You say all star roster and it is stacked yes, but you act like past QB's that Shanahan has had since becoming the head coach guided this team to the playoffs too.

Joe Flacco horrible comparison, he had a 10 year career in Baltimore and took them to the playoffs multiple times. Give Jimmy 10 years in SF then we'll talk.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Assuming a lot here. Trey could be the starter the year....he could also not. Jimmy could depart at the end of the season...he could also not.

This is IMO closer to the reality as things have developed. There is a new window open today that wasn't here in June that potentially has this team moving on from Trey and rolling with Jimmy long term.

I see zero shot of him coming back unless he goes on a Joe Flacco playoff run and wins a Superbowl.

I said it doesn't even matter if he wins the SB, he ain't carrying and he ain't going to be SB MVP, chances are very low that happens, and if the team does, even more reasons some other team gets him, the 9% or less of NFL teams who is QB1 needy with no better options will be willing to give out a big contract.

Also consider this, IF the team wins the SB bring back Jimmy this season as a backup was GENIUS and the 9ers FINALLY got their money's worth for reals and got LUCKY if that happens after paying him tons already for choking SB and the NFCC last season who is not a franchise QB never make probowl and has tons of limitations and is passed 30, time to cut bait and move on. If not and they decided to give Jimmy another big money contract to out bid other teams as he's a FA that would be stupid because YOU AIN'T GOING TO REPEAT SB AGAIN WITH JIMMY AS QB1 (IN NFL HISTORY, HAS THAT HAPPEN 1 TIME WITH A NON PROBOWL QB REPEATING OR WINNING MULTIPLE SBs for any team thats dumb enough to retain them?), THAT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST NFL MIRACLE EVER LOL ROFL LMAO 🤣!!!!

When you put EVERYTHING in context, Move on with Trey next season with zero QB controversy is in the best interest of the team, the salary cap, and future, it's a no brainer, Pointless argument.

Steve Young hyping on Jimmy was a irresponsible joke and no one should ever take him seriously anymore just like all the sports media that said KAP was going to be a HOFer when he made ZERO PROBOWLS LOL 🤡🤣

Is this post for real. Smfh

Its silly that you don't think so. The 49ers are winning right now and at worst they'll be in the playoffs….AGAIN. In 2019, Jimmy helped the 9ers get to the Super Bowl. And last year the NFCC. It's ridiculous how you people hate on Jimmy but he keeps shutting you people up by winning, and when he does win you guys bring up some stupid s**t like….but but but what about air yards. GTFO here with that noise.

You say all star roster and it is stacked yes, but you act like past QB's that Shanahan has had since becoming the head coach guided this team to the playoffs too.

Joe Flacco horrible comparison, he had a 10 year career in Baltimore and took them to the playoffs multiple times. Give Jimmy 10 years in SF then we'll talk.
So you do think jimmy is the only QB that can win here.. ok

Who exactly has he shut up? Seems that all of the people aware of his limitations are still saying even if he wins the SB we should move on. I'll commend him for good play and thank him for his services while waving goodbye. Is that what you mean by shutting me up?
Who says Jimmy wants to stay here in the first place. Nobody seems to consider that angle.

Is this post for real. Smfh

Jimmy ain't carrying man and Jimmy ain't repeating or winning multiple SBs, that WOULD BE A NFL MIRACLE THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEN BEFORE FOR A NONPROBOWL QB with limitations in ALL OF NFL HISTORY to retain him and out bid other teams after this season would be the dumbest move in every respect, SB WIN OR NOT.

If the team wins the SB, it was a GENIUS 1 SEASON ONLY MOVE BY KS, LYNCH AND YORKS, they finally got their money's worth from Jimmy on a IMPROVED SB CALIBER ROSTER 1 YEAR DEAL on a serviceable good game manager (none probowl none franchise QB that other teams didn't even want to trade a 2nd rd pick for) at best who came back as a BACKUP and insurance, next season moving on is 110% the best decision and KS, LYNCH AND YORKS I'm sure already knows that as they have already decided that at the beginning of this season 🤣 what more evidence do you need as a 9er fan without them coming out right and telling you to your face, WHAT THEY ALREADY THINK OF JIMMY??? Smfh really 🤣

With NO DISRESPECT to Jimmy as a person and teammate, he is who he is as a NFL QB and nothing more, adding more hype or anything like that is ridiculous and a JOKE.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM ]
What's funny is Jimmy played his worst game of the season vs. the Saints, but the momentum in the media is to say he's playing "his best football ever," even though his level hasn't been even CLOSE to what it was in 2019. In 2019, he was basically Tony Romo minus the deep ball. He was around the 8th best QB in football that year. There's a video on Youtube of every completion he had in 2019. Watch it. Look at his ball placement. He hardly ever threw high that year, and when he did, it was usually intentional.

This is the same media that brainwashed fans into believing Jimmy is the worst QB in the NFL and even worse than Trent Dilfer to begin with.

What's really telling is how fans get everything backwards about Jimmy.

The things they accuse him of not being good at are his strengths.

It's hilarious seeing fans accusing him of not being able to read coverages. Jimmy's top 5 in reading coverages. That's his biggest strength. He processes information extremely quickly and plays with urgency. Most modern QBs couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted them the "c" and the "a," and their mentality is essentially, "I'ma run around and if he open, I throw heeeeyim da ball!" They run around and chuck it, backyard style. Stat Paddy Mahomo, Captain Massage, Rumpelstiltskin, Josh Allen, Kylerf*g. They're not real QBs. They're just athletic ad-libbers.

And Jimmy's best throws are actually out-breaking routes. The problem is the team has nobody who can run those besides Jennings. He has threaded needles every time when asked to throw the comebacks and outs.

The things Jimmy struggles with are his deep ball and his pocket movement. His mechanics are way worse than when he first arrived in 2017, and I blame that entirely on this coaching staff. You could already see him developing the wide base and front foot drag in his setup in 2018, before the knee injury. He didn't have that previously. This ruined his ability to climb the pocket.

I've seen lots of people criticizing the offensive line in the Saints game, but nearly all of the times Jimmy was hit were his own fault for not climbing the pocket correctly. You're not going to have absolutely perfect protection most of the time. You have to be able to move around the pocket.
Originally posted by LearnHowQBWorks:
What's funny is Jimmy played his worst game of the season vs. the Saints, but the momentum in the media is to say he's playing "his best football ever," even though his level hasn't been even CLOSE to what it was in 2019. In 2019, he was basically Tony Romo minus the deep ball. He was around the 8th best QB in football that year. There's a video on Youtube of every completion he had in 2019. Watch it. Look at his ball placement. He hardly ever threw high that year, and when he did, it was usually intentional.

This is the same media that brainwashed fans into believing Jimmy is the worst QB in the NFL and even worse than Trent Dilfer to begin with.

What's really telling is how fans get everything backwards about Jimmy.

The things they accuse him of not being good at are his strengths.

It's hilarious seeing fans accusing him of not being able to read coverages. Jimmy's top 5 in reading coverages. That's his biggest strength. He processes information extremely quickly and plays with urgency. Most modern QBs couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted them the "c" and the "a," and their mentality is essentially, "I'ma run around and if he open, I throw heeeeyim da ball!" They run around and chuck it, backyard style. Stat Paddy Mahomo, Captain Massage, Rumpelstiltskin, Josh Allen, Kylerf*g. They're not real QBs. They're just athletic ad-libbers.

And Jimmy's best throws are actually out-breaking routes. The problem is the team has nobody who can run those besides Jennings. He has threaded needles every time when asked to throw the comebacks and outs.

The things Jimmy struggles with are his deep ball and his pocket movement. His mechanics are way worse than when he first arrived in 2017, and I blame that entirely on this coaching staff. You could already see him developing the wide base and front foot drag in his setup in 2018, before the knee injury. He didn't have that previously. This ruined his ability to climb the pocket.

I've seen lots of people criticizing the offensive line in the Saints game, but nearly all of the times Jimmy was hit were his own fault for not climbing the pocket correctly. You're not going to have absolutely perfect protection most of the time. You have to be able to move around the pocket.

I agree with a lot of this. I do not think he moves well in the pocket. He tends to move his feet a lot (happy feet) so maybe he thinks he navigating and moving but not actually buy space.

I think your on to something with the wrs not running the correct routes or routes to the correct spot. As a QB he's trying to through to a spot practiced. If the wrs cut 2 or 3 yards off the location of the ball is off. The ball is released in anticipation.

I also think Jimmy falls into a habit of trying to make things happen if things are not going well. We saw that with the safeties earlier and bad sacks. He's been throwing it away better ad of recent.

The playcalling early in the season was extremely predictable and bland. It was pretty much run first every first down or screen. It's been mixed up a bit as of late. You also often had him having to dig from 2nd or third and long because the plays were either negative yardage early or penalties. One of these was enough to kill a drive.

It doesn't seem like we have lot of plays for 2nd and 3rd and long.

Then we get cute as hell when close to the goaline. We put him in shotgun from like the 1 or 2 with no RB on a short field which makes it way easier for the defense to cover. Or you have him handing off from the shotgun a lot. Equally dumb.
Originally posted by LearnHowQBWorks:

AGE. He's passed 30, older age makes your mechanics, mobility and limitations even worse especially if you have less than optimal diet and conditioning, none of those has anything to do with Coaching, see Aaron Rodegrs and Russell Wilson who are actually probowlers who only won 1 SB, Jimmy would be lucky to won a SB this season with a SB CALIBER ROSTER, move on for sure next season he won't be winning a SB else where as QB1 or another one here if they do this season by luck, 1 SB WIN 1 SB CHOKE 1 NFCC CHOKE with a limited none probowl none franchise QB like Jimmy you have NO CHOICE but to give credit to KS and LYNCH for a GJ, if they don't do it this season, Jimmy is still the scapegoat like last season and the SB CHOKE 🤣 pretty much no way around it.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 2, 2022 at 9:32 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Philly moved on from Foles. Baltimore moved on from Dilfer. Neither were dumbest moves in their history.

It's way more important to know HOW Jimmy plays in the Super Bowl and playoffs than IF he makes the Super Bowl or a deep playoff run.

When Trey got hurt, some posters were already saying we should keep Jimmy beyond this season. I said that it's only fair to keep an open mind about his return if there's a huge leap in his performance. Because it was possible to me that Jimmy could prove he should return when the team doesn't even make the playoffs.

I haven't seen that consistent level of play yet, but we still have a lot of games left.
Share 49ersWebzone