Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 244 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if he plays within the next few weeks, he's a dead man. let him sit this season. No point in getting him murdered.
The best bit about this whole thing is that Lynch is willing to pull the trigger without shooting his whole wad. This has the feel of a calculated gamble rather than a blind all in.

If Jimmy is the guy, he'll be the best non draft pickup since Drew Brees, if he isn't, hey we could have picked Christian Hackenburg!
Originally posted by WeeRocco:
Rapoport reporting that an extension is not close or imminent.

If your Jimmy G's agent you want him to finish the year without a contract and force the 49ers to tag him. That is where you'll want to start his contract negotiations and essentially create his market value.

It's an enormous risk to pay a guy that much money that even then will still have such a low sample size, but I don't think the 49ers made this move without assuming all the risks involved.

This move seems to validate at least three reports. Kyle really was high on Garoppolo coming into the 2014 draft. Kyle didn't like any of the upper tier QB prospects in the 2018 draft, and lastly Kyle is comfortable with what Garoppolo has put on film so far and still likes his potential better than anyone the team would have drafted in the off-season.

Kyle got his guy, now he'll sink or swim with him.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 31, 2017 at 5:13 AM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Laughing at anyone thinking we are smarter then Bellichet and the Pats.
Sign him this off season and save a HIGH 2nd round pick

I kinda get a laugh out of you thinking you're smarter than the front office, yet you don't realize that if we don't make this trade, someone else likely would have traded for him.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dude is a stud. His release is lightning quick. His feet are very quick as well, almost too quick at times.

You can see how quick his feet and his release are here. Not just that, but how well he marries his eyes and entire body. He goes from scrambling to setting up a throwing platform and getting the ball out in the blink of an eye.

Not trying to hype him up because he now plays for our Niners, but which current QB does he remind you of in that clip? The way he maneuvers in the pocket, footwork and quick release are very Aaron Rodgers like, and the more I watch of him, the more I see why Kyle had him so highly rated when he was in the draft and why the Pats wanted him so badly to commit long-term to being Brady's heir apparent.

I see the exact same thing. Good observation.

This move reminds me of when the Texans made a trade for Matt Schuab in 2007. At that point Schuab had only started two games and the move was made on Schuab's potential. The Texans swapped first round picks with Atlanta and gave up two second round picks. Kyle was his QB's coach then a year later his offensive coordinator.

Ironically ten years later Kyle as a head coach makes another calculated risk based off almost the same body of work between what Garoppolo and Schuab both had done previously to being traded.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 31, 2017 at 5:31 AM ]

Browns gonna brown
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Holy s**t
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by dald1:
Yeah Watson looks like garbage right?

Watson only first round QB? David Carr, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell....etc

Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Blake Bortles Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart.....etc

Over 50% of QB's taken in the 1st round bust. When they do, not only are you still looking for a new QB, you're out a very early draft pick. There isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft class or anyone that looks like a surefire franchise QB. They all come with major question marks. With Garoppolo you're taking a risk, but you're risking a lot less overall in terms of draft value and getting a guy who already has NFL experience and has gotten tremendous coaching too.

The 49ers by trading Garoppolo keep their high 1st round pick and can use it to shore up an area of need with a top prospect or trade back and get a bounty of picks in return.

nice post!
Rapoport reporting that an extension is not close or imminent.

id hope they play him out and work on it after the season is over. That way we see what we have and can adjust if he turns out to be less then ideal.
Wonder if the Pats are considering Colin as their new backup

The thing I love most about this trade is the potential it opens up for our 1st round pick:

Barkley potentially if he's there at 2
Trade down for a host of picks from QB hungry team
Fill a huge need at Leo/CB/WR with a BPA attitude

Attack the OL in free agency and pursue Anzah to add to the young DL talent.

Go Niners

Absolutely, we can go best player available now with our 1st rd pick instead of possibly having to reach on a guy like Rosen. Plus, Jimmy G gets a 6 month head start in learning this offense and will be ready to lead this team next year. I love the trade, I don't see any downside or bad in it to be honest with you. I would let him sit until December though and let me him start the last month of the season. What do you think?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Dude is a stud. His release is lightning quick. His feet are very quick as well, almost too quick at times.

You can see how quick his feet and his release are here. Not just that, but how well he marries his eyes and entire body. He goes from scrambling to setting up a throwing platform and getting the ball out in the blink of an eye.

Not trying to hype him up because he now plays for our Niners, but which current QB does he remind you of in that clip? The way he maneuvers in the pocket, footwork and quick release are very Aaron Rodgers like, and the more I watch of him, the more I see why Kyle had him so highly rated when he was in the draft and why the Pats wanted him so badly to commit long-term to being Brady's heir apparent.

I see the exact same thing. Good observation.

This move reminds me of when the Texans made a trade for Matt Schuab in 2007. At that point Schuab had only started two games and the move was made on Schuab's potential. The Texans swapped first round picks with Atlanta and gave up two second round picks. Kyle was his QB's coach then a year later his offensive coordinator.

Ironically ten years later Kyle as a head coach makes another calculated risk based off almost the same body of work between what Garoppolo and Schuab both had done previously to being traded.

He's got all the tools. My only concern would be his durability but we'll see...
Originally posted by Afrikan:
This is my favorite pass from him so far.

Originally posted by thl408:

That was a nice throw, keeping his eyes downfield.
He shows good pocket awareness to slide and shuffle around when needed. Gets the ball out fast. Small sample but he is really comfortable in shotgun spread where the throws are more defined.
I thought this was his best throw in the two starts he made in 2016. Versus a single high safety look, the red and yellow routes look to horizontally stretch the FS.
vs Fire Zone blitz

JG first looks to his right and it gets the FS (blue) moving over.

JG looks to his left. Orange route holds the orange deep 1/3. There's a window to hit the seam, away from the direction the FS has moved. Pressure given up by the left guard so JG has to step forward to avoid the rush.

He keeps his non-throwing shoulder pointed forward so that he remains in a position to throw. Not afraid to step into a throw when a defender is coming.

Ball placed high so the WR has to highpoint. Done to avoid a head on collision with the FS. +24

more of this PL0X
Everyone acting like we either hit the lotto or that we will get raped in contract negotiations. Neither of those are necessarily true. If we like what we see, this was great trade. If we don't we lose a second round draft pick. With possible FQB at stake that's a reasonable gamble. There is no way on God's green earth we didn't have preliminary contract discussions with Jimmy G's agent prior to this trade. If he is what we want we will pay him. If we have to tag him, his one year contract will be to get stats playing on a bad team next year. We will get better next off season but we we won't be exponentially better across the entire OL. Playing on one year contracts is not ideal for any NFL player. You get paid but you don't have that contract that gives you some sort of overall protection if something happens. The contract will get done. The FO wouldn't have wasted this pick for a total of 9 games if Jimmy was against coming here and playing during a rebuild.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Regina:
Wonder if the Pats are considering Colin as their new backup

Schefter is saying that they will sign Hoyer.
Share 49ersWebzone