Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 233 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bspippin:
hey 49ers fans,

Pats fan here, I was curious to read some of the responses from 49ers fans. I have to state that I am disappointed they let JG go as I believe he is a franchise QB and believe he is as close to Brady as anyone out there short of experience. There is a small sample size of starts for JG, but I will tell you, when JG started last year, if I didn't know Brady was out I would have thought it was Brady playing, he was lights out. If you can find it, look for his start last year against the dolphins. If you can find that game and watch it, I can guarantee you will feel much better about this trade. I truly believe you received one heck of a QB that will make you contenders. He has tremendous skills, including a very quick release, accuracy, and mobility. He is also a stand up guy and no diva! The only concerns I would have is his toughness and leadership skills, but time will tell.

Good luck to you and JG, it has been some time that you were true contenders, and as much that I hate this move, I feel you guys deserve this trade as I again feel
you will once again finally soon be a top team in the NFC.

- Enjoy!!
Brian

Welcome! I would have to agree. I mean JG has been learning behind Brady for a couple years now and typically the guy learning will mimic the guy he's learning from. An example in my eyes.....Favre and Rodgers. I hope it works out!
Originally posted by Baldie:
Have there been any reports that JP even wants to be in SF? Makes me wonder if BB asked him if he wanted this.

You really think we didn't explore that before wasting a second round pick?
Originally posted by Baldie:
Have there been any reports that JP even wants to be in SF? Makes me wonder if BB asked him if he wanted this.

I think JG just wants to PLAY. He probably didn't care at this point as long as he was starting.
Originally posted by WeeRocco:
The thing I love most about this trade is the potential it opens up for our 1st round pick:

Barkley potentially if he's there at 2
Trade down for a host of picks from QB hungry team
Fill a huge need at Leo/CB/WR with a BPA attitude

Attack the OL in free agency and pursue Anzah to add to the young DL talent.

Go Niners

This. Option B please. We will more than likely still be picking Top 5 (probably still #2 or 3). There are a handful of QBs coming out this year that had 1st round grades. Assuming we pick 2 or 3, that leaves us with a lot of leverage to move down. We essentially secured our FQB for free in terms of draft capital as we still have a pick in all the top rounds. Now we can trade down 3-8 spots and really play with house money. We are in position to make a major move and add 3 additional studs in the first two rounds next year.
Yes, there were reports that Jimmy wanted to start and skipped his way to the plane out of NE.
On the radio here from a Cardinals homer:

"There are quite a few in the football world who believe that Jimmy Garoppolo was the top available QB for 2018, through draft or free agency, and John Lynch got him.

John.Lynch.Got.Him!"
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 31, 2017 at 6:55 AM ]
The O-line for SF right now is not sustainable for a QB so not sure if playing JG anytime soon is all that smart. You can get hyped all you want by looking at his performance in a Pats uniform, but that line is not the same as the line in SF right now. Hope is not a strategy, but I hope it works out. Just can't see how any QB can be efficient let alone effective with the O-line we have. Retooling the O-line for sustainment must be a high priority. Those in the decision making process I'm sure are considering this as I can't see how this gets ignored when during last week's game, we're almost down to a TE to play tackle due to injury. Maybe this deal allows more $$$ flow to get some good lineman in the future?
Originally posted by Polkadots:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
They franchised Cassel when Brady was in his prime. They would do it because they could trade him to some desperate team .

There are always teams in the market for QBs, especially after this year. So many teams are solid and just missing a qb. Then you got teams like giants and Steelers where their QBs are clearly declining. It's just not worth the risk if Shanny feels like jimmy is his guy.

It wasn't a mere second our pick. It was a pick that is in the 30s and will only be a few picks behind Pats 1st rounder.

We weren't in the position on 2017 draft to trade picks. They used our first two picks on Solly and Foster.

There won't be a bidding war. He's on our team. We will offer a fair extension and he will accept .

Since it's late and we can continue this tomorrow, I only have one question re the bold part. Why would JG accept a fair extension when he has all the leverage? If a better option was on the table, I would fire my agent on the spot if he talked me in to a less than max contract. Perhaps this was all worked out as some sort of contingency before the trade was executed. I don't know.

I am extremely excited and exceptionally pessimistic about this trade, so my head kinda hurts

Man I wasnt really happy with this trade for all the same reason ghostofbaalke stated...The only thing i can think of is KS and LYNCH will evaluate him for the rest of the season to see if he's worth that money. But damn for a high 2nd round draft pick? They must be really confident in JG...This could make or brake KS and Lynch. But we'll have to trust them for now.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Did we bring in him for a visit when he was coming out? I know Harbs had a boner for him and led his private workout if I'm not mistaken. If we didnt have Kap he probs woulda been a 49er day one. Seems like it was meant to be destiny one way or another

PS- Bourne needs to give up that #10

Yep.

• HERN
  • Veteran
Just woke up and checked again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Jimmy Freaking Guap is here!!!!!!

It's true!!!!!

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if he plays within the next few weeks, he's a dead man. let him sit this season. No point in getting him murdered.

Can't imagine him sitting after the bye week. Him knowing just half the playbook will look better than anything we have seen from that position thus far this year. Once he gets the timing down with his targets, he will be in the game.
this was the result of a secret directive between BB, Kraft, and Goodell. This was a mercy move to protect the game by performing a blood transfusion to the inject life into one of the most storied franchises and prime markets in the league. If we ever win a SB with JG there will be an asterisk next to our accomplishment which reads "by the good graciousness of BB"
I absolutely hate this trade! Jimmy G has started in TWO regular season games. Remember when Matt Cassel won 10 games for the Patriots!? What about when when Jacoby Brissett came in as a third string rookie, and accounted for 3 total TD's in his first game?
He is a product of the system!!!!!!
Originally posted by bspippin:
hey 49ers fans,

Pats fan here, I was curious to read some of the responses from 49ers fans. I have to state that I am disappointed they let JG go as I believe he is a franchise QB and believe he is as close to Brady as anyone out there short of experience. There is a small sample size of starts for JG, but I will tell you, when JG started last year, if I didn't know Brady was out I would have thought it was Brady playing, he was lights out. If you can find it, look for his start last year against the dolphins. If you can find that game and watch it, I can guarantee you will feel much better about this trade. I truly believe you received one heck of a QB that will make you contenders. He has tremendous skills, including a very quick release, accuracy, and mobility. He is also a stand up guy and no diva! The only concerns I would have is his toughness and leadership skills, but time will tell.

Good luck to you and JG, it has been some time that you were true contenders, and as much that I hate this move, I feel you guys deserve this trade as I again feel
you will once again finally soon be a top team in the NFC.

- Enjoy!!
Brian

Classy as f—- Thanks for the insight, man!
Share 49ersWebzone