There are 215 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
this was the result of a secret directive between BB, Kraft, and Goodell. This was a mercy move to protect the game by performing a blood transfusion to the inject life into one of the most storied franchises and prime markets in the league. If we ever win a SB with JG there will be an asterisk next to our accomplishment which reads "by the good graciousness of BB"

Sounds more like New England really wanted to keep Garoppolo but he had no interest in remaining Brady's understudy for 2-3 more years so they could either trade him or watch him walk for nothing in the offseason.
  • Eazy_
  • Veteran
John Lynch

We are thrilled for Jimmy to join the 49ers family.

Jimmy is a player we have researched extensively since Kyle (Shanahan) and I joined the 49ers. I am extremely pleased this came together today, and we all think it is a big win for our organization.

Albeit in limited game action, Jimmy has displayed the characteristics and traits that we believe are vital to being a successful quarterback in this league. He has had the rare opportunity to sit and learn from a future Hall of Fame quarterback in a championship atmosphere. We look forward to Jimmy joining the team tomorrow and hitting the ground running.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
this was the result of a secret directive between BB, Kraft, and Goodell. This was a mercy move to protect the game by performing a blood transfusion to the inject life into one of the most storied franchises and prime markets in the league. If we ever win a SB with JG there will be an asterisk next to our accomplishment which reads "by the good graciousness of BB"

Sounds more like New England really wanted to keep Garoppolo but he had no interest in remaining Brady's understudy for 2-3 more years so they could either trade him or watch him walk for nothing in the offseason.

That's pretty much it - he didn't want to sit wasting away waiting for Brady to retire.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
You know what this also does?????

The 49ers first round pick will come at time where there will be a few QB's that teams REALLY WANT. This means, that second that the 49ers traded away, may be coming back in spades as they can trade down in the first to say pick 10, and possibly pick up a kings ransom in compensation. This means that a Starting Offensive Linemen, Starting Running Back, Starting Safety, Starting Corner.... All seem very possible along with EXTRA Picks in the next two rounds!
Let's just hope BB keeps sucking as a GM. Patriots missed out on a big opportunity this offseason and probably could have gotten a 1st for JG. BB has made bad free agency moves:

• Gillislee offered 2 year $6.4 million and now he's barely playing
  • Stephon Gilmore a 5 year $65 million deal
  • Cooks for a 2017 1st rounder
  • TE Dwayne Allen for a 4th rounder still earning $17.4 in the next 3 years

What other offseason moves did they make?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

KNBR was just interviewing some reporter guy from NE and people are surprised about this deal. He went on to say that no one knows what happened behind closed doors but its possible BB was backed into a corner by Kraft to make the trade being that they passed on the 2 1st rounders that Cleveland, I believe, was offering during the draft.
Originally posted by Polkadots:
If KS truly wanted JG all along, why wait? The only argument is that the cost was too high this past off season. But, that doesn't hold water, because the worth of a true FQB is beyond cost consideration - almost. The risk analysis for this given choice would not be tenable for anyone whose job was riding on the outcome - and it is fair to say two people's jobs are riding on JG being the one.

What if Brady had gotten hurt this year? The entire plan to get JG is now ruined, and no good business person would risk their entity's future on something that has a fairly high probability of happening - relatively speaking.

So the counter to a ruined plan is what? That Cousins was the next best bet, and you would simply take him if the JG thing did not work? Why? Why would you take someone you valued less? If KS truly thought JG was the better prospect, it is fair to assume he had no plans to go after KC in the off season. His plan, if he had not gotten JG now, would have been to go after JG in the off season - logically speaking.

If you are the Patriots, why get rid of JG if, after all these years of grooming and watching him play, you felt he was worthwhile to your franchise? Clearly the organization, coaching staff, and Brady have enough rapport and respect for each other that Brady's future was promulgated to all who needed to know well before this season began. So, you're telling me they didn't pull the trigger and trade JG this off season? Why? "According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Browns offered a second round pick and change to the Patriots this off season and nothing more. They did not go higher than a second and offer a first rounder." So, the Patriots felt they could get at least a second round pick by waiting. Thus, it was a no lose situation for them. They knew, absolutely, who was interested in JG and what they could get for him. They must have known what the 49ers would give up for him, but they also must have known that by waiting JG's stock could only go up. Hoyer was not going to be the answer, and the chances Beathard was going to be the answer were sufficiently small that the potential risk was far outweighed by the potential benefit(s).

As for cost, JG just guaranteed he will get paid more now than he would have by simply riding out the season on the bench. If he does well, he will get paid at least what KC gets paid, and may be in position to hold it over the 49ers for a contract larger than that of what would have been given to KC. If he does poorly, he will still get a massive amount of money, because I don't think any expert expects him to do a whole lot with what the 49ers have on offense. Plus, when the 49ers gave up a second round pick, they hitched themselves to JG, to where now, they have zero leverage. Absolutely none.

The 49ers gave up a second round pick for someone who was absolutely going to be available come this off season. And, he was absolutely going to cost less this off season than he will now that this trade has occurred - assuming he stayed on the bench in New England. Further, he was not brought in to resurrect this season, so yeah, from a business and logical standpoint, this trade simply does not make sense.

I get it, emotionally, it is awesome. I, like the rest of you, hope JG turns out to be a franchise QB. That being said, no matter how you slice this, the way the 49ers went about this was not business savvy. They could have gotten him for less, and may now find themselves in a serious predicament if JG plays exceptionally well for the remainder of the season...or if he gets hurt behind that porous offensive line.

I don't like this move (today) at all. I hope, truly, to eat my words sometime in the future...the near future.

I think you're trying a bit too hard.
  • Kirk Cousins MAY be available in the off season (what if the Redskins work out a deal or franchise tag him again?)
  • Kyle has reviewed the 2018 QB draft class and isn't fond of the class esp. for a top 5 pick (again)
  • Jimmy Garropplo MAY be available in the off season (but if he is, expect a HUGE bidding war b/c of #1 and #2)

If you are ShanaLynch, you make it known you are interested in a trade for JG and that's exactly what they did. The Pats tried to give JG a starters contract to sit for as long as Brady wanted to play (which would have strapped their entire 53 man roster). They drafted him with the sole intention of him one day, taking over for Brady. When they couldn't get a deal b/c JG wanted to actually play, THEY called the 49ers FO and worked the trade.

Bottom line: the 49ers FO quite simply got THE BEST QB OPTION on the market for 2018 and got him early and have now secured his rights through 2018 (at bare minimum). One way or another, he'll be a Niner for all of 2018.

QB, far and away, is the single most difficult position to secure.

Is it possible a team uses a top 5 first round pick on a QB and he becomes a true FQB well and they score big with their second pick as well? Sure. But what's the probability of that?

We still have 5 picks (including a mid-to-back end 2nd) in the first 4 rounds and now we have the ammunition to go any direction we need with our first pick. In fact, we could always trade up higher in the second too if that's your concern here.

Simply ask yourself, where would JG fall within this draft class today. If he was originally a Pats 2nd rounder and is now more polished and developed, he'd simply be the first pick in the draft. We're talking Andrew Luck-like consensus because of his skill set AND because he's so polished. Outside of potentially, Kirk Cousins, there is no QB on the market (draft or FA) that fits that bill. Period.

ShanaLynch just secured THE best QB option possible for 2018. If you can't grasp that then
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 31, 2017 at 7:53 AM ]
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I absolutely hate this trade! Jimmy G has started in TWO regular season games. Remember when Matt Cassel won 10 games for the Patriots!? What about when when Jacoby Brissett came in as a third string rookie, and accounted for 3 total TD's in his first game?
He is a product of the system!!!!!!

Jimmy Garoppolo is the all time leader in yards in Northern Illinois history and was a 2nd round pick. Matt Cassel never started in college and was a 7th round pick.
I absolutely hate this trade! Jimmy G has started in TWO regular season games. Remember when Matt Cassel won 10 games for the Patriots!? What about when when Jacoby Brissett came in as a third string rookie, and accounted for 3 total TD's in his first game?

Brissett has looked better this season than any QB we've had the last two years.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Let's just hope BB keeps sucking as a GM. Patriots missed out on a big opportunity this offseason and probably could have gotten a 1st for JG. BB has made bad free agency moves:

• Gillislee offered 2 year $6.4 million and now he's barely playing
  • Stephon Gilmore a 5 year $65 million deal
  • Cooks for a 2017 1st rounder
  • TE Dwayne Allen for a 4th rounder still earning $17.4 in the next 3 years

What other offseason moves did they make?

Kony Ealy for a 2nd rounder and he got cut in TC.

• Geeked
  • Veteran
So, it's safe to assume that Garoppolo will be getting a franchise contract period. I can't see him signing for anything less.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Jimmy Garoppolo is the all time leader in yards in Northern Illinois history and was a 2nd round pick. Matt Cassel never started in college and was a 7th round pick.

Wait, are you telling me he can operate in a system and not cock it up...? And the 49ers have Shanny as the HC/OC....

Holy carp. this trade is looking better by the second!!!!
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Eastern Illinois.....also the home of Mike Shanahan, Tony Romo and Sean Payton.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Laughing at anyone thinking we are smarter then Bellichet and the Pats.
Sign him this off season and save a HIGH 2nd round pick

I kinda get a laugh out of you thinking you're smarter than the front office, yet you don't realize that if we don't make this trade, someone else likely would have traded for him.

Wow....
So you don't think the pats are a better ran organization then the 49ers??

Gotta laugh right back at you then dude..

I could have ran it better then Jed the last few years as I'm sure most could have ...

So no deal yet, and franchising him is our best option if we don't sign him long term early?

If this is true,I'll say it again, IF THIS IS TRUE locking us in a corner with zero leverage I don't think is the best thing for this franchise... but doesn't surprise me.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Brissett has looked better this season than any QB we've had the last two years.

Just the fact that JP was drafted by BB, has learned behind a HOF QB for several years, has looked good when he's played, got him for a 2nd round pick when other teams offered a hell of a lot more........I love it!

The niners can now focus on other areas of the team in the offseason. Along with the draft, they'll also be able to sign impact FA's to bring talent sooner rather than later.
Share 49ersWebzone