There are 217 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, how long before Jimmy G gets hurt? at 6'2 225. He's built sort of like RG3.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I absolutely hate this trade! Jimmy G has started in TWO regular season games. Remember when Matt Cassel won 10 games for the Patriots!? What about when when Jacoby Brissett came in as a third string rookie, and accounted for 3 total TD's in his first game?
He is a product of the system!!!!!!

Jimmy Garoppolo is the all time leader in yards in Northern Illinois history and was a 2nd round pick. Matt Cassel never started in college and was a 7th round pick.

This. It's fair to be skeptical on Garoppolo based on only two starts but the comparisons to Cassel are lazy imo. One was a 7th round draft pick that wasn't even a starter in college and the other was second round small school prospect that had great upside coming out of college. The talent between the two are on two totally different levels.

Context needs to be added in this as well. Cassel in his lone NE starting year was throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Garoppolo is his lone two starts was throwing to Chris Hogan and an injured Julian Edelman, plus no Gronk. This doesn't mean Garoppolo is a future Hall of famer but the situations between Cassel and Garoppolo are significantly different, as is their talent levels.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 31, 2017 at 7:31 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Laughing at anyone thinking we are smarter then Bellichet and the Pats.
Sign him this off season and save a HIGH 2nd round pick

I kinda get a laugh out of you thinking you're smarter than the front office, yet you don't realize that if we don't make this trade, someone else likely would have traded for him.

Wow....
So you don't think the pats are a better ran organization then the 49ers??

Gotta laugh right back at you then dude..

I could have ran it better then Jed the last few years as I'm sure most could have ...

So no deal yet, and franchising him is our best option if we don't sign him long term early?

If this is true,I'll say it again, IF THIS IS TRUE locking us in a corner with zero leverage I don't think is the best thing for this franchise... but doesn't surprise me.

If another team trades for Garoppolo, they can franchise him... Taking him off the market. The 49ers gave up a second round pick, which was where he was drafted.

Now that the 49ers don't need to draft a QB, their First Pick has HUGE trade value for a QB hungry team. This will most likely net the 49ers back a LOT more than a Second and won't cost them a player they're targeting in the first.

Garoppolo will be playing for the 49ers in 2018 because the 49ers CAN franchise him. The 49ers also have exclusive negotiating rights up until free agency.
Originally posted by Joecool:

• mayo49
  • Veteran

You mean Aaron Rodgers? Basically the same size. I don't see any particular reason to believe he is injury prone. Go look at him getting thrown down on his shoulder and tell me how many QBs aren't missing time after something like that.

Reach some more. He's also the exact same weight and height as Aaron Rodgers.

Good thing he doesn't play like RGIII. He is a pocket QB that great footwork, quick release and goes through progressions quickly. He just happens to be pretty athletic and can take off if needed....but two completely different styles of play
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nastastical:

Reach some more. He's also the exact same weight and height as Aaron Rodgers.

Guess he hasn't seen Jimmy with his shirt off. Dude is ripped.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You mean Aaron Rodgers? Basically the same size. I don't see any particular reason to believe he is injury prone. Go look at him getting thrown down on his shoulder and tell me how many QBs aren't missing time after something like that.

Rodgers looks like he has thicker joints or forearms. Jimmy G looks a little more petite.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
If another team trades for Garoppolo, they can franchise him... Taking him off the market. The 49ers gave up a second round pick, which was where he was drafted.

Now that the 49ers don't need to draft a QB, their First Pick has HUGE trade value for a QB hungry team. This will most likely net the 49ers back a LOT more than a Second and won't cost them a player they're targeting in the first.

Garoppolo will be playing for the 49ers in 2018 because the 49ers CAN franchise him. The 49ers also have exclusive negotiating rights up until free agency.

Well I'm thinking what QB wouldn't want to be under Kyle Shanahan long term? Hopefully no matter what JP decides he wants to stay a niner and gets a contract extension done before the offseason so the niners know exactly the cap room they have to go out and get more talent.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This. It's fair to be skeptical on Garoppolo based on only two starts but the comparisons to Cassel are lazy imo. One was a 7th round draft pick that wasn't even a starter in college and the other was second round small school prospect that had great upside coming out of college. The talent between the two are on two totally different levels.

Context needs to be added in this as well. Cassel in his lone NE starting year was throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Garoppolo is his lone two starts was throwing to Chris Hogan and an injured Julian Edelman, plus no Gronk. This doesn't mean Garoppolo is a future Hall of famer but the situations between Cassel and Garoppolo are significantly different, as is their talent levels.

The Cassel comparison is so lazy that it isnt worth responding to anymore. It is just people literally saying anything because they had their heart set on some other QB.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Laughing at anyone thinking we are smarter then Bellichet and the Pats.
Sign him this off season and save a HIGH 2nd round pick

I kinda get a laugh out of you thinking you're smarter than the front office, yet you don't realize that if we don't make this trade, someone else likely would have traded for him.

Wow....
So you don't think the pats are a better ran organization then the 49ers??

Gotta laugh right back at you then dude..

I could have ran it better then Jed the last few years as I'm sure most could have ...

So no deal yet, and franchising him is our best option if we don't sign him long term early?

If this is true,I'll say it again, IF THIS IS TRUE locking us in a corner with zero leverage I don't think is the best thing for this franchise... but doesn't surprise me.

They'll sign him to a big extension, very soon. Don't worry about that.

Save a 2nd round pick and sign him in the offseason? What happens if Brady announces his retirement or gets hurt? Then they franchise him or give him the big extension.

I won't be surprised to see Cousins stay in Washington either. Then we're stuck with hoping Beathard becomes the man or picking one of the very disappointing rookies like Rosen or Darnold, both of which are not as good as Jimmy.

The Patriots wanted to keep him, make no mistake about that. They did this so that he can have his wish and become a full time starter franchise quarterback.

Neither side got fleeced.
Whoaa. Why many of 49ers fans are happy to get for J.Garoppolo and New England Patriots fans are happy to get for 2nd round in 2018.

I accepted for J.Garoppolo because I am support the 49ers fans and cheer. I am telling you. I am too concerned about if Garoppolo will get hurt again his shoulder? ... And Plus he will be free agent in next year. Come on? We should wait and sign him if he will be free agent in next year. Duh.
Share 49ersWebzone