• thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The obsession over this guy who no longer plays for us is absolutely amazing.

Alex Smith says

I blame it on a few posters since they just can't let go and admit they were wrong.

Ffs, SD literally called him a franchise QB and said we should give him a 10 year extension. And this was after the Rams lost in the NFCCG

Now SD is giving Purdy the Jimmy treatment and it scares me

same..

SD was head over heels for
Alex
Herbert
Jimmy

Ain't nothing wrong with liking good QBs. Particularly the ones with SF on the helmet.
liking is an understatement

'good' is an overstatement
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The obsession over this guy who no longer plays for us is absolutely amazing.

Alex Smith says

I blame it on a few posters since they just can't let go and admit they were wrong.

Ffs, SD literally called him a franchise QB and said we should give him a 10 year extension. And this was after the Rams lost in the NFCCG

Now SD is giving Purdy the Jimmy treatment and it scares me

same..

SD was head over heels for
Alex
Herbert
Jimmy

Ain't nothing wrong with liking good QBs. Particularly the ones with SF on the helmet.
liking is an understatement

'good' is an overstatement

I would rank Herbert > JG > Alex
but all good
but all good

Thats probably mine too. I'll listen to arguments about Aleck over Jimmy.

Herbert is on another planet than both.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
but all good

Thats probably mine too. I'll listen to arguments about Aleck over Jimmy.

Herbert is on another planet than both.

Yup,, Alex you gotta recall the early years, it was completely brutal outside of a Norv Turner fueled, fun 2006, Frank's breakout year

I got off the Alex wagon in around 07, now JH, then Reid they did wonders, and credit to Alex for continual improvement throughout, so he actually carved out a real career for himself, I can say I was Alex > Rodgers lol, if we go way back.. I got that one wrong
@ Furlow (continuing from Brock thread):

Jimmy had less than 100 pass attempts in game action before coming to the Niners. I think he had two or three starts. The idea that he was 'known as a gunslinger' is new to me. Same with the idea that Jimmy was a gunslinger in our offense last season. I don't remember him publicly beefing with Kyle outside of a caught on camera moment where he said something along the lines of 'your s**t doesn't work'. And that idea flies against the good soldier, people pleaser, Jimmy is a p***y points you're raising elsewhere.

I want to test the structure, logic, or consistency, behind your thinking.

Why was it that you think Kyle moved to replace Jimmy? Was it strictly because of his inability to stay healthy in your view? What were the issues?
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 29, 2023 at 7:49 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
@ Furlow (continuing from Brock thread):

Jimmy had less than 100 pass attempts in game action before coming to the Niners. I think he had two or three starts. The idea that he was 'known as a gunslinger' is new to me. Same with the idea that Jimmy was a gunslinger in our offense last season. I don't remember him publicly beefing with Kyle outside of a caught on camera moment where he said something along the lines of 'your s**t doesn't work'. And that idea flies against the good soldier, people pleaser, Jimmy is a p***y points you're raising elsewhere.

I want to test the structure, logic, or consistency, behind your thinking.

Why was it that you think Kyle moved to replace Jimmy? Was it strictly because of his inability to stay healthy in your view? What were the issues?

From his college days to starts with the Patriots, Jimmy was slinging it. No way do the Patriots get a 2nd rounder for a "game manager." His starts in 2017 were proof of that.

Then as he learns the offense and gets off season after off season with Kyle, suddenly becomes captain check down? I just think it's so obvious that this is what Kyle was coaching him to do. Since he's not that into football and not an extreme competitive type, he went along with what Kyle was coaching him to do.

His comments early last year showed that as well. He alluded to 2017 and having more freedom and being more comfortable with that. Basically @ing Kyle for being too controlling. Kyle chirped back, but had no other option (or so we thought). Jimmy proceeded to play his best ball as a Niner, much more loose and aggressive. Did Kyle suddenly start calling for more passes? No. Same run/pass balance. Jimmy simply decided to make more aggressive throws.

Insert Purdy. He took the above and put it on steroids. Kyle was PISSED at Purdy in the Raiders game. Ball was supposed to go to Jennings on a slant. Purdy spun out to his left and got Kittle in the back of the end zone e. Kyle was mad. Purdy threw up the "ice in his veins" gesture. Kyle then laughed. It's those types of decisions by Purdy and exchanges with Kyle that Kyle NEEDS to get out of his shell. Same with the fade to Aiyuk against Tampa Bay, the TD to Aiyuk against Seattle, etc.

I think if Jimmy had been healthy the whole time, he'd still be the QB. Not saying that his play wasn't part of it, but we'd have been selecting later and not had a chance to move up. Having a high pick changed everything for Kyle, he said as much. But I would guess that even Kyle is surprised at how well Purdy is operating his offense.
Originally posted by Furlow:
From his college days to starts with the Patriots, Jimmy was slinging it. No way do the Patriots get a 2nd rounder for a "game manager." His starts in 2017 were proof of that.

Then as he learns the offense and gets off season after off season with Kyle, suddenly becomes captain check down? I just think it's so obvious that this is what Kyle was coaching him to do. Since he's not that into football and not an extreme competitive type, he went along with what Kyle was coaching him to do.

His comments early last year showed that as well. He alluded to 2017 and having more freedom and being more comfortable with that. Basically @ing Kyle for being too controlling. Kyle chirped back, but had no other option (or so we thought). Jimmy proceeded to play his best ball as a Niner, much more loose and aggressive. Did Kyle suddenly start calling for more passes? No. Same run/pass balance. Jimmy simply decided to make more aggressive throws.

Insert Purdy. He took the above and put it on steroids. Kyle was PISSED at Purdy in the Raiders game. Ball was supposed to go to Jennings on a slant. Purdy spun out to his left and got Kittle in the back of the end zone e. Kyle was mad. Purdy threw up the "ice in his veins" gesture. Kyle then laughed. It's those types of decisions by Purdy and exchanges with Kyle that Kyle NEEDS to get out of his shell. Same with the fade to Aiyuk against Tampa Bay, the TD to Aiyuk against Seattle, etc.

I think if Jimmy had been healthy the whole time, he'd still be the QB. Not saying that his play wasn't part of it, but we'd have been selecting later and not had a chance to move up. Having a high pick changed everything for Kyle, he said as much. But I would guess that even Kyle is surprised at how well Purdy is operating his offense.

The thing is your arguments are indicating that his play wasn't a part of it. That's why I asked what you thought the reasons were that we moved on. Your arguments are only consistent if you think they moved on from Jimmy strictly because of his injury issues... which to be fair you are pretty much saying here.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

The thing is your arguments are indicating that his play wasn't a part of it. That's why I asked what you thought the reasons were that we moved on. Your arguments are only consistent if you think they moved on from Jimmy strictly because of his injury issues... which to be fair you are pretty much saying here.

Wouldn't seem logical to be 100% due to injuries. I'm sure even at his best, Kyle wanted more. I just don't think he'd have been willing to start over with a new QB had Jimmy stayed healthy. But let's be glad he didn't stay healthy. It got us Bosa and now Purdy.
Kyle has never coached any other QB to be captain checkdown. Not RG3. Not Matt Schaub. Not Matt Ryan. Not CJ Beathard. Not even Nick Mullens.

welcome back buddy

Jimmy going back to the Patriots?
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

Championship
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Belichick would have to fight off Pete Carroll for Jimmy's rights.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Championship

I'm betting Belichick will get fired or retire before the next Patriot championship.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Championship

I'm betting Belichick will get fired or retire before the next Patriot championship.

Yeah something has to change there. I am a lil surprised how they have fallen apart. I really respect TB12, but Belichick was doing work before he came along, as part of the Parcells tree. Maybe it's grown stagnant in NE for ol BB. I know he is a NYG guy, maybe he'll go coach the Giants, but he needs a quarterback. LAC would be good for BB, they have a QB and OC, just need a HC. I'm not sure the relationship between JG and BB. Now we can see, McD liked JG from the NE days..
Share 49ersWebzone