There are 295 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Confirmed Jimmy > Purdy when they're at their best.

Lynch get to work.

Darnold is waiting.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I'm assuming this is you being facetious.

Just trying to set you off, lol.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Ouch

That 2nd pick... Like the wtf was that. Ive tired to erase a lot of these from my memory.

Now do the Saints game

We all remember the Saints game. I can't remember which game Brock was the best in, because he's so freaking good in almost every single game. See the difference?

Now before anyone does the Saints game, you need to do Justin Field's Washington game so you can show us how a guy having one great game makes him a great QB.

Lol, this is your anecdotal game, why don't we get out a list of top 10 rating or top 10 win percent and set the filter to career, to avoid your cherry picking nonsense

Okay. You list Jimmy's top ten games and I'll list Brock's top ten games.

More nonsense. Brock ain't competing with JG. It's a debate if JG is good or bad. He's top 10 all time rated. And then there's the win percentage. Listen to Aikman he said JG is good and had a hand in a lot of what went right for us. Recall when he arrived he was cooking with a bunch of no namers. He didn't play with a lot of what we have now. 2017 was a much dif roster, yet that was perhaps his best stretch. So you don't portray the reality, he did a good job, then you have these ppl sharing the 'lowlights' which again isn't reality, its spin. Anybody can have a lowlights reel, provided they've played enough.
Should do averages.
Brock's average of his best 10: 135.31
Brock's average of his worst 10: 90.84 (see below. It's really 93.22)

Jimmy's average of his best 10: 138.79
Jimmy's average of his worst 10: 58.04.

*This is actually wrong, since I accidentally listed 9 on the previous post. His REAL average for his ten worst, minimum 17 attempts, is 93.22

Lynch get to work.

Pretty much what 5 pointed out though I don't think he meant to. Bad thing is... Bad Jimmy is flat out terrible and bad to medium Jimmy is around more than good Jimmy. Meanwhile good Brock is around faaaaaar more than bad Brock. Brock is consistently good and rarely terrible. Jimmy is consistently erratic and can be terrible on any given day.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Dec 5, 2023 at 7:25 PM ]
IMPORTANT NOTE: Brock has not played a lot of games. He's going to have a lot more 140+ passer rating games in the next year or so. By next year he will blow Jimmy's best out of the water.

Just for fun since I brought up Justin Fields to point out that cherry picking is dishonest (and strangely got accused of cherry picking when my entire point is that "the Saints game" is literally cherry picking):

(minimum 17 attempts)

Field's best 10:

Field's worst 10:

Fields' average for 10 best: 111.6
Fields' average for 10 worst: 56.7

Of note: Jimmy's highs are a lot better than Fields' highs. But Jimmy's lows are about the same as Fields' lows. For perspective on that, the sum of the differences between Brock and Jimmy is 29.32 in favor of Brock.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Ouch

That 2nd pick... Like the wtf was that. Ive tired to erase a lot of these from my memory.

Now do the Saints game

We all remember the Saints game. I can't remember which game Brock was the best in, because he's so freaking good in almost every single game. See the difference?

Now before anyone does the Saints game, you need to do Justin Field's Washington game so you can show us how a guy having one great game makes him a great QB.

Lol, this is your anecdotal game, why don't we get out a list of top 10 rating or top 10 win percent and set the filter to career, to avoid your cherry picking nonsense

Okay. You list Jimmy's top ten games and I'll list Brock's top ten games.

More nonsense. Brock ain't competing with JG. It's a debate if JG is good or bad. He's top 10 all time rated. And then there's the win percentage. Listen to Aikman he said JG is good and had a hand in a lot of what went right for us. Recall when he arrived he was cooking with a bunch of no namers. He didn't play with a lot of what we have now. 2017 was a much dif roster, yet that was perhaps his best stretch. So you don't portray the reality, he did a good job, then you have these ppl sharing the 'lowlights' which again isn't reality, its spin. Anybody can have a lowlights reel, provided they've played enough.

Who said that? Jimmy was good. Better than average. Brock is significantly better than that. And we saw Jimmy with this exact same roster, and the team scored about 7 more points per game when Brock took over. Jimmy is a guy. Brock might wear a gold jacket.
Should do averages.
Brock's average of his best 10: 135.31
Brock's average of his worst 10: 90.84 (see below. It's really 93.22)

Jimmy's average of his best 10: 138.79
Jimmy's average of his worst 10: 58.04.

*This is actually wrong, since I accidentally listed 9 on the previous post. His REAL average for his ten worst, minimum 17 attempts, is 93.22

Lynch get to work.

Not correct. There's a sample size problem. You'll see in the coming weeks, and certainly by next year.

EDIT: to further highlight this point, Brock's 9th worst game is also his 10th best game. By this time next year, that 10th best game is going to be replaced by a better one. Hell, by next week it may. In fact, by the end of this season that 10th best game may well be his 14th or 15th best game.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 5, 2023 at 7:32 PM ]
IMPORTANT NOTE: Brock has not played a lot of games. He's going to have a lot more 140+ passer rating games in the next year or so. By next year he will blow Jimmy's best out of the water.

Just for fun since I brought up Justin Fields to point out that cherry picking is dishonest (and strangely got accused of cherry picking when my entire point is that "the Saints game" is literally cherry picking):

(minimum 17 attempts)

Field's best 10:

Field's worst 10:

Of note: Jimmy's highs are a lot better than Fields' highs. But Jimmy's lows are about the same as Fields' lows. For perspective on that, the sum of the differences between Brock and Jimmy is 29.32 in favor of Brock.

let's dive into the pool called reality for a sec
i mentioned Saints game in response to some lowlights reel, so it was cherry picking met with cherry picking, that was the point I was making
now go ahead and take the whole enchilada as I mentioned, career rating or win percent, he ranks pretty good, I don't care who you stack him against
and iirc, you did your entire grad thesis on JG being a top 12 QB, you ran all the calculations, let's not back down now
JG did good for us, now that doesn't say anything about Brock or Fields or these others, just take it for what it is
Who said that? Jimmy was good. Better than average. Brock is significantly better than that. And we saw Jimmy with this exact same roster, and the team scored about 7 more points per game when Brock took over. Jimmy is a guy. Brock might wear a gold jacket.

what happens if you do the stats, post CMC, for science..

(minimum 17 attempts)

Field's best 10:

Field's worst 10:

let's dive into the pool called reality for a sec
i mentioned Saints game in response to some lowlights reel, so it was cherry picking met with cherry picking, that was the point I was making
now go ahead and take the whole enchilada as I mentioned, career rating or win percent, he ranks pretty good, I don't care who you stack him against
and iirc, you did your entire grad thesis on JG being a top 12 QB, you ran all the calculations, let's not back down now
JG did good for us, now that doesn't say anything about Brock or Fields or these others, just take it for what it is

LOL. Yes but, that rating had two big problems: (1) it only used a single season of data as a baseline for determining which stats were most important for winning, and (2) it didn't take into account scheme. I'll eventually get off my ass and remake it, since I've compiled 4 years of data now, however it still won't address scheme. But, on the other hand, that won't matter because Brock and Jimmy are in the same scheme.

But, as far as when I ranked Jimmy 12th (remember that was plus or minus one or two ranking slots by the way), that was in a season that I maintain was his REAL best year. Because he was actually throwing the ball down the field that season.

LOL. Yes but, that rating had two big problems: (1) it only used a single season of data as a baseline for determining which stats were most important for winning, and (2) it didn't take into account scheme. I'll eventually get off my ass and remake it, since I've compiled 4 years of data now, however it still won't address scheme. But, on the other hand, that won't matter because Brock and Jimmy are in the same scheme.

But, as far as when I ranked Jimmy 12th (remember that was plus or minus one or two ranking slots by the way), that was in a season that I maintain was his REAL best year. Because he was actually throwing the ball down the field that season.

Was year was that? 21?

what happens if you do the stats, post CMC, for science..

I've only compiled scoring for that. I gave the Dolphins game to Brock for obvious reasons.

Points per game in 2022 with CMC for Jimmy: 25.4

Points per game in 2022 with CMC for Brock: 33.5

Actually it's about 8 more, my bad.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Was year was that? 21?

2021. Jimmy was 7th in completed air yards per pass attempt. 17th in total air yards. For comparison, in 2022 he fell to 30th in CAY/PA; he didn't qualify in 2020, but he would have ranked 35th. In 2019 he was 16th. 2018 he would have ranked 13th. I don't have numbers for 2017, but he only started 5 games.

EDIT: for more context:

2022 QBR: 56.3 (16th)
2021: 59.2 (13th)
2020: did not qualify
2019: 60.8 (12th: yes that's higher than 2021, but Jimmy was throwing the ball further down field more often in 2021, which is harder to do)
2018: didn't qualify
2017: didn't qualify
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 5, 2023 at 7:45 PM ]
Why we comparing Jimmy to Purdy? I like Jimmy but Brock is literally one of the best QBs in the league. I mean, you can make Mahomes and Allen look bad in the sane regard.
2021. Jimmy was 7th in completed air yards per pass attempt. 17th in total air yards. For comparison, in 2022 he fell to 30th in CAY/PA; he didn't qualify in 2020, but he would have ranked 35th. In 2019 he was 16th. 2018 he would have ranked 13th. I don't have numbers for 2017, but he only started 5 games.

I think I remember reading your thread with the rating you created at the time.

In the end there was no way he was the 12th best QB in the league at that time to me, regardless of the stats. Probably more like 15-20.
Share 49ersWebzone