There are 291 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
The only reason Kyle drafted Trey was because of Jimmy's durability issues. Rocket Armed and mobile QB Trey isn't here either, and Kyle spent 3 first round picks on Trey. Kyle liked both Trey and Jimmy, but they aren't here. Purdy's just a generational talent. Jimmy is a good QB. Won a ton of games for the 49ers. Kyle kept Jimmy until his contract ran out, vs cutting him like Kyle's cut other players before their contract was up (TDP). Purdy is that QB Lotto draft pick that Hall of fame coaches get before they become hall of fame coaches. Jimmy is a NFC Championship QB, and super bowl level QB.

Couldn't disagree more and watching film would show why. Even beyond film you could see the trust issues in Kyle's playcalling just watching the broadcasts. Jimmy could do some things well and he was able to be successful here with those skills and the scheme/playmakers around him… but it was pretty obvious the offense was not reaching it's potential and Jimmy wasn't great at protecting the football.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Couldn't disagree more and watching film would show why. Even beyond film you could see the trust issues in Kyle's playcalling just watching the broadcasts. Jimmy could do some things well and he was able to be successful here with those skills and the scheme/playmakers around him… but it was pretty obvious the offense was not reaching it's potential and Jimmy wasn't great at protecting the football.

It was because he couldn't execute all of Kyles playcalling.

Sure is nice to have someone who can.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It was because he couldn't execute all of Kyles playcalling.

Sure is nice to have someone who can.

thank Griese
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
thank Griese

I do. Also thank the guy who hired Griese.
thank Griese

amen to that
if you look back, McCaffrey, Lynch, Griese, they all played for Papa Shanny
thank Griese

amen to that
if you look back, McCaffrey, Lynch, Griese, they all played for Papa Shanny

I forgot who I was talking to but i mentioned that kyles done a great job replenishing the defensive coaching staff and someone said that his dad helps a lot with guidance in that regard. If you look at a lot of the coaching hires - it's either guys kyle knows in some way or his dad knows them.

even Lynch and Kyle didn't know each other professionally but kyles dad vouched.

You know papa shanahan wants his son to win one so bad.
"Even what comes out of my balls win Super Bowls".
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Why we comparing Jimmy to Purdy? I like Jimmy but Brock is literally one of the best QBs in the league. I mean, you can make Mahomes and Allen look bad in the sane regard.

There's a lot of similarities between Brock and Jimmy, simply because they are the type of QB that Kyle likes in his system. Just that Brock is simply levels above Jimmy at this point in both their careers.
If Kyle liked jimmy, jimmy would still be here… and The only similarity they had was being on the same team

The only reason Kyle drafted Trey was because of Jimmy's durability issues. Rocket Armed and mobile QB Trey isn't here either, and Kyle spent 3 first round picks on Trey. Kyle liked both Trey and Jimmy, but they aren't here. Purdy's just a generational talent. Jimmy is a good QB. Won a ton of games for the 49ers. Kyle kept Jimmy until his contract ran out, vs cutting him like Kyle's cut other players before their contract was up (TDP). Purdy is that QB Lotto draft pick that Hall of fame coaches get before they become hall of fame coaches. Jimmy is a NFC Championship QB, and super bowl level QB.

This bolded comment is essentially why this thread keeps being so popular.

It's the denial from some of our fanbase that Jimmy had specific limitations that lead to his departure. Because when you say the only reason we moved on from Jimmy, or the only reason Jimmy struggled in Vegas was the cumulation of his injuries over the years or his age, you're not being 100% honest about his tenure here.

It's just very convenient to me that Jimmy has his best statistical season in 2022, and then he changes teams in 2023, and the explanation some fans give is that its all due the injuries, when 6 months prior he was producing at a high level, not just compared to his standard, but compared to the league. Nahhh. That's the ultimate spin/excuse for Jimmy... watch the film, his arm is as strong as ever, he's as mobile as he's been since 2019. Show me where it's not, otherwise I don't believe you.

Jimmy dropped from 3rd in QB rating and 5th in completion percentage in 2022, to 28th in QB rating 16th in completion percentage in 2023.

It's an insult to the players on the team, and our head coach and our scheme, to act like Jimmy's level of play was SB level.

We had SB talent across the board, while Jimmy was an average to good starter. he was not on the level of his teammates. He was the weakest link, unlike Purdy.

If you can't see the difference, I don't know what else to say, other than meet me on page 10K.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Dec 6, 2023 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

It's the denial from some of our fanbase that Jimmy had specific limitations that lead to his departure. Because when you say the only reason we moved on from Jimmy, or the only reason Jimmy struggled in Vegas was the cumulation of his injuries over the years or his age, you're not being 100% honest about his tenure here.

It's just very convenient to me that Jimmy has his best statistical season in 2022, and then he changes teams in 2023, and the explanation some fans give is that its all due the injuries, when 6 months prior he was producing at a high level, not just compared to his standard, but compared to the league. Nahhh. That's the ultimate spin/excuse for Jimmy... watch the film, his arm is as strong as ever, he's as mobile as he's been since 2019. Show me where it's not, otherwise I don't believe you.

Jimmy dropped from 3rd in QB rating and 5th in completion percentage in 2022, to 28th in QB rating 16th in completion percentage in 2023.

It's an insult to the players on the team, and our head coach and our scheme, to act like Jimmy's level of play was SB level.

We had SB talent across the board, while Jimmy was an average to good starter. he was not on the level of his teammates. He was the weakest link, unlike Purdy.

If you can't see the difference, I don't know what else to say, other than meet me on page 10K.

Weakest link? that's your obsession or spin. Tartt was weaker imo, and we saw the 3rd and 15 play also, basically two plays away from 2 rings
yet you bring it back to JG every time
10 point lead in both those games, then the D collapses

Weakest link? that's your obsession or spin. Tartt was weaker imo, and we saw the 3rd and 15 play also, basically two plays away from 2 rings
You're literally comparing the most important position in all of sports, to a strong safety… you have no basis for calling anyone else's takes "spin". You're the ultimate spin master.

Jimmy had chances in both the SB and NFC Championship game to put the game away. You give him a pass… that's the spin.
You're literally comparing the most important position in all of sports, to a strong safety… you have no basis for calling anyone else's takes "spin". You're the ultimate spin master.

Jimmy had chances in both the SB and NFC Championship game to put the game away. You give him a pass… that's the spin.

Agree with almost everything you're saying, but we could have overcome Jimmy's weaknesses and still won the Super Bowl with better execution in other areas. It wasn't only his fault that we lost… which I understand you'd probably agree with. That doesn't mean you aren't looking to get better at the most important position which is exactly what we set out to do. It wasn't just because of injury, obviously. And Jimmy isn't physically washed up now either.

He's up 10 in the 4th in both, so both are Ws if the D does it's job. Where is the lie in that?
He's up 10 in the 4th in both, so both are Ws if the D does it's job. Where is the lie in that?

In the Super Bowl in particular his play was a primary reason (not the only reason) we only scored 20 points, which was well below our season average. We were facing a decent defense, not a juggernaut like the other side of the ball.

In the Super Bowl in particular his play was a primary reason (not the only reason) we only scored 20 points, which was well below our season average. We were facing a decent defense, not a juggernaut like the other side of the ball.

He was like 19/21 and in line for MVP, then the D effed it all up, the 3rd and 15 is the turning point
He was like 19/21 and in line for MVP, then the D effed it all up, the 3rd and 15 is the turning point

He was absolutely bad in the 4th quarter of that game. There's no denying that. Did the defense give up a terrible conversion on that 3rd and 15? Yes.

The defense played out of their mind for nearly that entire game against an all time great opponent.

yeah why can't the team that carried jimmy the entire season, win the game for him !
Share 49ersWebzone