There are 245 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He was like 19/21 and in line for MVP, then the D effed it all up, the 3rd and 15 is the turning point

He was absolutely bad in the 4th quarter of that game. There's no denying that. Did the defense give up a terrible conversion on that 3rd and 15? Yes.

The defense played out of their mind for nearly that entire game against an all time great opponent.

bizarre to me up 2 scores in the 4th and we put that on the QB
we are a complementary team, D, ground game etc,
with the 2 score final frame lead, you typically don't ask the QB to do much
so basically he had to start 19/21, then he had to turn it up from there, and shred KC in Q4.. seems like a big ask, I mean that's something I might expect Brady or Mahomes to do, not Jimmy..
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You're literally comparing the most important position in all of sports, to a strong safety… you have no basis for calling anyone else's takes "spin". You're the ultimate spin master.

Jimmy had chances in both the SB and NFC Championship game to put the game away. You give him a pass… that's the spin.

Agree with almost everything you're saying, but we could have overcome Jimmy's weaknesses and still won the Super Bowl with better execution in other areas. It wasn't only his fault that we lost… which I understand you'd probably agree with. That doesn't mean you aren't looking to get better at the most important position which is exactly what we set out to do. It wasn't just because of injury, obviously. And Jimmy isn't physically washed up now either.

Of course we could have won it all, and I've never suggested that Jimmy didn't have a ton of success here. Regardless of what anyone says, there was zero reason for me to dislike Jimmy... and I didn't. Honestly, I just disliked the people who defended him with poor or hypocritical reasoning. That's it.

And don't get it twisted... I never blamed Jimmy for all our struggles, in the regular season or the postseason.

I also never said Jimmy's injuries don't play a factor in his performance.

My stance is that injuries are one of many factors as to why he's struggled, including his lack of mobility, reading defenses, deep accuracy issues and so on.... while posters like faithful and SD act like injuries, along with instantaneous aging, explains all of Jimmy's struggles in Vegas.

Not to mention this thread only stays alive because of obsession and hatred... says the exact posters who came up with nicknames for Trey, mocked his hairline, and so on.

But MY opinion is spin?
[ Edited by Waterbear on Dec 6, 2023 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He's up 10 in the 4th in both, so both are Ws if the D does it's job. Where is the lie in that?

In the Super Bowl in particular his play was a primary reason (not the only reason) we only scored 20 points, which was well below our season average. We were facing a decent defense, not a juggernaut like the other side of the ball.

He was like 19/21 and in line for MVP, then the D effed it all up, the 3rd and 15 is the turning point
yeah why can't the team that carried jimmy the entire season, win the game for him !

19/21 in 3 qtrs is light out, 10 point lead in the 4th, let me tell you if we have a 10 point lead in the 4th this year, I am not gonna blame Brock if it ends badly, I'll take a 10 point lead in a heartbeat, ask CMC and the D to finish.
so basically he had to start 19/21, then he had to turn it up from there, and shred KC in Q4.. seems like a big ask, I mean that's something I might expect Brady or Mahomes to do, not Jimmy..

That's because you're making a general argument, not addressing the opponent or what actually happened in detail.. Again, Jimmy was bad in the 4th quarter of that game. His performance individually was not acceptable whether the team wins or loses. We also had issues with playcalling and execution and obviously in spots on defense. The point being you work to fix those things and for us that eventually meant getting better at the position, especially with more evidence that he wasn't growing.

Trent Dilfer was cut after winning the Super Bowl. That's because he wasn't good enough even in a win.
He's up 10 in the 4th in both, so both are Ws if the D does it's job. Where is the lie in that?

In the Super Bowl in particular his play was a primary reason (not the only reason) we only scored 20 points, which was well below our season average. We were facing a decent defense, not a juggernaut like the other side of the ball.

yeah why can't the team that carried jimmy the entire season, win the game for him !

19/21 in 3 qtrs is light out, 10 point lead in the 4th, let me tell you if we have a 10 point lead in the 4th this year, I am not gonna blame Brock if it ends badly, I'll take a 10 point lead in a heartbeat, ask CMC and the D to finish.
Don't spin this.. and don't bring Brock into it

19/21 doesn't mean you can stop playing QB after 3 qtrs. Did you forget who we were playing? We played the best offense in the league who can score big and in a hurry. I believe they won in the same fashion in every playoff game before the SB.

1 for 10 in the 4th qtr is not MVP. We just needed at least 1 first down in each of the last series to waste clock and couldn't do it

Pretending QB doesn't matter when you need to pass in the biggest game is not being truthful

That's because you're making a general argument, not addressing the opponent or what actually happened in detail.. Again, Jimmy was bad in the 4th quarter of that game. His performance individually was not acceptable whether the team wins or loses. We also had issues with playcalling and execution and obviously in spots on defense. The point being you work to fix those things and for us that eventually meant getting better at the position, especially with more evidence that he wasn't growing.

Trent Dilfer was cut after winning the Super Bowl. That's because he wasn't good enough even in a win.

JG started 19/21 I believe, Trent finished 12/25. One guy got carried to the ring, the other guy put in the work, thru 3 qtrs, had a hand in bldg the lead. That's my interpretation. Go back to 2021, JG week 18 drive for the season, with like 90 secs remaining. Against an eventual World Champ D, on the road. We won that year, vs the two SB teams, both road games. So he was capable of having a hand in beating any team, any venue, now again Tartt effing us in the critical moment, KS also with the plus territory punt, but we were good enough to win 2 rings, just didn't happen.

19/21 doesn't mean you can stop playing QB after 3 qtrs. Did you forget who we were playing? We played the best offense in the league who can score big and in a hurry. I believe they won in the same fashion in every playoff game before the SB.

1 for 10 in the 4th qtr is not MVP. We just needed at least 1 first down in each of the last series to waste clock and couldn't do it

Pretending QB doesn't matter when you need to pass in the biggest game is not being truthful

Therein lies the oddity, I get the fact that we are a complementary team, built on running the ball, balance, D. And we need all these elements, you guys revert to well we were facing Mahomes, so JG had to match Pat throw for throw, that was never gonna happen. Unrealistic expectation. Now expecting us to get off the field on 3rd and 15, we should have..
JG started 19/21 I believe, Trent finished 12/25. One guy got carried to the ring, the other guy put in the work, thru 3 qtrs, had a hand in bldg the lead. That's my interpretation. Go back to 2021, JG week 18 drive for the season, with like 90 secs remaining. Against an eventual World Champ D, on the road. We won that year, vs the two SB teams, both road games. So he was capable of having a hand in beating any team, any venue, now again Tartt effing us in the critical moment, KS also with the plus territory punt, but we were good enough to win 2 rings, just didn't happen.

I'm not comparing Trent and Jimmy other than to point out a player is evaluated on how they play, not necessarily on team results. Whether our defense made an extra play or two and we won, Jimmy still sucked in the 4th quarter of that game. His play was not good enough, win or lose. You don't ignore it because the team made up for it… and you certainly don't ignore it when they don't. You evaluate it for what it is.

Therein lies the oddity, I get the fact that we are a complementary team, built on running the ball, balance, D. And we need all these elements, you guys revert to well we were facing Mahomes, so JG had to match Pat throw for throw, that was never gonna happen. Unrealistic expectation. Now expecting us to get off the field on 3rd and 15, we should have..
again stop spinning. no one said he has to be Mahomes. I just said, at least get 1 first down.. is getting 1 first down being Mahomes ? No

This is the SB, that 3rd and 15 shouldn't have counted due to the holding.. like how we got screwed on the Call against Kittle. Stuff like that is going to happen.

QBs get the big bucks to win games, not watch them
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 6, 2023 at 4:31 PM ]

again stop spinning. no one said he has to be Mahomes. I just said, at least get 1 first down.. is getting 1 first down being Mahomes ? No

This is the SB, that 3rd and 15 shouldn't have counted due to the holding.. like how we got screwed on the Call against Kittle. Stuff like that is going to happen.

QB get the big bucks to win games, not watch them

let me just put a lil quote in here for why getting a first down isn't on JG, let me see if I can find it, on what a team should do when up 2 scores, in the 4th.
hold on now.. let me find it..

okay, here we go

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Dec 6, 2023 at 4:42 PM ]

QB get the big bucks to win games, not watch them

let me just put a lil quote in here for why getting a first down isn't on JG, let me see if I can find it, on what a team should do when up 2 scores, in the 4th.
hold on now.. let me find it..
lol i know you what you are going to post. People have used that excuse so many times and don't remember what actually happened in the game

full disclosure. i do give jg a hard time, but this game i don't. I don't blame anyone.. well maybe the refs

Facts, we did run it and got stuffed. Chiefs were selling out on the run. Do we run it on 3rd and longs? That wouldn't be the best since we can't run it on other downs.

Jimmy did in fact throw and guys were open. except the damn Chefs DL batted down a lot of passes at the LOS. It was just a cluster of the worst happening at the worst time of the game.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 6, 2023 at 5:08 PM ]

captain jimmy money bags. the evil journeyman mediocre QB that refuses to evolve his game
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Why we comparing Jimmy to Purdy? I like Jimmy but Brock is literally one of the best QBs in the league. I mean, you can make Mahomes and Allen look bad in the sane regard.

There's a lot of similarities between Brock and Jimmy, simply because they are the type of QB that Kyle likes in his system. Just that Brock is simply levels above Jimmy at this point in both their careers.
If Kyle liked jimmy, jimmy would still be here… and The only similarity they had was being on the same team

The only reason Kyle drafted Trey was because of Jimmy's durability issues. Rocket Armed and mobile QB Trey isn't here either, and Kyle spent 3 first round picks on Trey. Kyle liked both Trey and Jimmy, but they aren't here. Purdy's just a generational talent. Jimmy is a good QB. Won a ton of games for the 49ers. Kyle kept Jimmy until his contract ran out, vs cutting him like Kyle's cut other players before their contract was up (TDP). Purdy is that QB Lotto draft pick that Hall of fame coaches get before they become hall of fame coaches. Jimmy is a NFC Championship QB, and super bowl level QB.

Ya for sure, he spent 3 first round picks on Lance because he has a better bone structure 😂

Keep telling yourself that.
Any fan that thought the 9ers were gonna beat the Chiefs scoring 20 points and the Rams scoring 17 are lying.
Share 49ersWebzone