Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Any fan that thought the 9ers were gonna beat the Chiefs scoring 20 points and the Rams scoring 17 are lying.

Kyle's fault and the defense. I say we fire Kyle and cut everyone on defense and bring back Jimmy. SB guaranteed!!

-faithful

You guys are silly lol. This is typical QB gets the credit and blame, mentality. Football is a lil more nuanced, complicated, than that. There are other factors involved. I know each and every one of you when the clock rolled over into Q4 and we are up 10 in the SB on the Quest for Six, that's where you want to be. Just need your D, ST, run game, to seal the deal. We had a KS run game, and Mostert. Look at Mostert he has 14 TDs this year, 5.1 YPC. Look at him vs GB. So we needed some of that juice in the SB Q4. He had 29 carries I think vs GB, then 12 in the SB. What happened?
RM got stuffed in the 4th qtr, because KC had to stop the run and they did

When D/ST can't win you the game, Do you think the QB doesn't need to step up ?

Did Joe Montana take a seat in the 4th Qtr of a SB ?

Again, you see JG as Montana, I don't. Let's get back into the universe known as, reality.

Without that HOF QB, you win with ground game, D, HC, ST, aka complementary football. 10 point lead and a KS run game, plus an elite D should = SB ring.

Consider KC put up 9 points vs Tampa in the full game in that SB. So a 10 point lead would have held up for 4 quarters vs Tampa, even with the O scoring 0. Didn't hold up for 1 quarter for us. JG could have had a better 4th, but he shouldn't have needed to do anything in the 4th, other than follow the script from the NFCCG.
Where did i say JG is Joe ? lol stop spinning everything

Just answer the question.

You said Joe did it, so JG should be able to, but they aren't in the same universe..

I am saying we need the D (and run game) to hold that lead. Look at you guys, this idea of late game, up 2 scores and that's time for JG to cook?. Only in fantasy land.
stop spinning and answer the question

Do you believe that the QB doesn't need to play anymore if the D/ST can't hold the lead, Yes or No ?

I answered it, he didn't need to play at all in the NFCCG, right? Now he played 19/21 to start the SB, that's pretty darn good. Can we play complementary? Or does it have to be the QB carrying us the entire way? You ask JG to carry us the entire game, like he's Joe or Mahomes. Why am I the only realist? JG ain't those guys. But he can get you 2x rings, in complementary fashion, if the 3rd and 15 was better, and if Tartt could catch. Good strong dose of reality.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Dec 7, 2023 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The amount that people obsess about this guy STILL is just amazing to me. He's no longer on our team. He's also very injured and broken. Realistically he's not the more healthy, younger, prior version that he once was.

Thank you for your weekly reminder.

Leave Jimmy alone ????????????

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Giedi:
The only reason Kyle drafted Trey was because of Jimmy's durability issues. Rocket Armed and mobile QB Trey isn't here either, and Kyle spent 3 first round picks on Trey. Kyle liked both Trey and Jimmy, but they aren't here. Purdy's just a generational talent. Jimmy is a good QB. Won a ton of games for the 49ers. Kyle kept Jimmy until his contract ran out, vs cutting him like Kyle's cut other players before their contract was up (TDP). Purdy is that QB Lotto draft pick that Hall of fame coaches get before they become hall of fame coaches. Jimmy is a NFC Championship QB, and super bowl level QB.

Couldn't disagree more and watching film would show why. Even beyond film you could see the trust issues in Kyle's playcalling just watching the broadcasts. Jimmy could do some things well and he was able to be successful here with those skills and the scheme/playmakers around him… but it was pretty obvious the offense was not reaching it's potential and Jimmy wasn't great at protecting the football.
All true. But I believe either Kyle or John told specifically the biggest reason: they wanted a guy on a rookie contract at QB so they could keep the roster.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He's up 10 in the 4th in both, so both are Ws if the D does it's job. Where is the lie in that?

In the Super Bowl in particular his play was a primary reason (not the only reason) we only scored 20 points, which was well below our season average. We were facing a decent defense, not a juggernaut like the other side of the ball.

He was like 19/21 and in line for MVP, then the D effed it all up, the 3rd and 15 is the turning point

And two of those 19 completions were on third down in the red zone, short of the sticks, when guys were wide ass open beyond the sticks. Those two mistakes cost us 8 points, so no, he was not playing great prior to the 4th quarter. If he was playing great, we'd have been up 18, not 10.
Any fan that thought the 9ers were gonna beat the Chiefs scoring 20 points and the Rams scoring 17 are lying.

Kyle's fault and the defense. I say we fire Kyle and cut everyone on defense and bring back Jimmy. SB guaranteed!!

-faithful

You guys are silly lol. This is typical QB gets the credit and blame, mentality. Football is a lil more nuanced, complicated, than that. There are other factors involved. I know each and every one of you when the clock rolled over into Q4 and we are up 10 in the SB on the Quest for Six, that's where you want to be. Just need your D, ST, run game, to seal the deal. We had a KS run game, and Mostert. Look at Mostert he has 14 TDs this year, 5.1 YPC. Look at him vs GB. So we needed some of that juice in the SB Q4. He had 29 carries I think vs GB, then 12 in the SB. What happened?
RM got stuffed in the 4th qtr, because KC had to stop the run and they did

When D/ST can't win you the game, Do you think the QB doesn't need to step up ?

Did Joe Montana take a seat in the 4th Qtr of a SB ?

Again, you see JG as Montana, I don't. Let's get back into the universe known as, reality.

Without that HOF QB, you win with ground game, D, HC, ST, aka complementary football. 10 point lead and a KS run game, plus an elite D should = SB ring.

Consider KC put up 9 points vs Tampa in the full game in that SB. So a 10 point lead would have held up for 4 quarters vs Tampa, even with the O scoring 0. Didn't hold up for 1 quarter for us. JG could have had a better 4th, but he shouldn't have needed to do anything in the 4th, other than follow the script from the NFCCG.
Where did i say JG is Joe ? lol stop spinning everything

Just answer the question.

You said Joe did it, so JG should be able to, but they aren't in the same universe..

I am saying we need the D (and run game) to hold that lead. Look at you guys, this idea of late game, up 2 scores and that's time for JG to cook?. Only in fantasy land.
stop spinning and answer the question

Do you believe that the QB doesn't need to play anymore if the D/ST can't hold the lead, Yes or No ?

I answered it, he didn't need to play at all in the NFCCG, right? Now he played 19/21 to start the SB, that's pretty darn good. Can we play complementary? Or does it have to be the QB carrying us the entire way? You ask JG to carry us the entire game, like he's Joe or Mahomes. Why am I the only realist? JG ain't those guys. But he can get you 2x rings, in complementary fashion, if the 3rd and 15 was better, and if Tartt could catch. Good strong dose of reality.
i don't see a Yes or No answer.. so no you didn't answer the question.

The 49ers D/ST held KC to 10pts and 2 INTs. How is that not complimentary ?
this is great.
It drives me crazy that the "stats don't matter only wins" crew continually point to 19 for 21 to start the game.

Completions don't win ball games. I couldn't care less that Jimmy went 19 for 21 to start the game. He missed big plays all game long. That's why looking at completion percentage/completions in a vacuum don't tell the story about how well a QB plays.

Yeah he missed Sanders deep. Plays like the following piss me off much more, in spite of the pass being completed:

Jimmy is one of the main reasons we were only up 10 points in the 4th.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Dec 7, 2023 at 9:00 PM ]
the road to 1000 pages is like jimmy g holding on the ball too long
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
It drives me crazy that the "stats don't matter only wins" crew continually point to 19 for 21 to start the game.

Completions don't win ball games. I couldn't care less that Jimmy went 19 for 21 to start the game. He missed big plays all game long. That's why looking at completion percentage/completions in a vacuum don't tell the story about how well a QB plays.

Yeah he missed Sanders deep. Plays like the following piss me off much more, in spite of the pass being completed:

Zero chance Kyle wanted that throw to Coleman made. Jimmy predetermined where he was going with the ball at the snap and didn't read the D.

Zero chance Kyle wanted that throw to Coleman made. Jimmy predetermined where he was going with the ball at the snap and didn't read the D.

so basically he has to be 21/21 to start and targeting more intermediate / deep
sounds highly realistic

sounds highly realistic
so you're saying the Defense can't give up any points in the superbowl.. lol
sounds highly realistic

I'll take 14/21 if he's hitting passes that matter. 6-8 on 3rd down instead of 3-8.

Is it realistic to expect the D to hold KC under 20?

sounds highly realistic

I'll take 14/21 if he's hitting passes that matter. 6-8 on 3rd down instead of 3-8.

TB won the SB held em to 9. We gave up 21 in the most critical quarter.

A Bronco team that got lit up for 70 held em to 9. Can be done.
Let's talk about the phrase Defense Wins Championships,
the maybe greatest O of all time was held to 14, that was Spags, Strahan and a whole army of pass rushers.
sounds highly realistic

yup TB won the game, he didn't sit and stop playing QB
sounds highly realistic

yup TB won the game, he didn't sit and stop playing QB

lol, JG would have too, KC scored 9, JG cleared that bar. TB D did a whole let better than we did. They got to mock Hill put the peace sign right in his face

First of all you are comparing teams from different years. Tampa did that because their entire O line was decimated by injury. Not even gonna touch the this year comparison.

Contrast that to 10 opponents in that 2019 season scoring more than 20 point on that KC D. Team that allowed less than 20 to KC? 1
Share 49ersWebzone