LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Anyone who is saying this, or claiming he is washed up, is 100% making excuses for him. Did you watch his games at all? Velocity of passes were normal. Strength of arm was normal. Footspeed was normal. Mobility was normal. (And when I say normal, I mean the same as it has been the past few years).

His problem clearly was not that his skills were eroding. He was making the exact same mistakes he made as a 49er, just at a much higher frequency.

I think you don't appreciate the impact major injuries and the surg they require has on a guy. Colts cut Shaq Leonard, guy went from All Pro to pretty darn washed. Dalvin Cook washed up, after his shoulder was very jacked and a lot of surg. Injuries took a toll on these guys.

Yes, Faithful. You have tried to push this narrative all season long but have yet to provide any evidence (or even hints of) why what you are saying is true. Everything you are saying could be accurate in theory, but none of it is accurate in reality. If it was, you would see a clear deterioration of his skills. Any objective fan has not seen this. You are just making excuses for him, which I suppose has been par for the course the last 5 or so years.

what nonsense, you saw the evidence, he didn't participate in the 2022 offseason, that's evidence. he didn't do the 2023 offseason, that's evidence. i can point to scars he has, that's evidence.
Anyone who is saying this, or claiming he is washed up, is 100% making excuses for him. Did you watch his games at all? Velocity of passes were normal. Strength of arm was normal. Footspeed was normal. Mobility was normal. (And when I say normal, I mean the same as it has been the past few years).

His problem clearly was not that his skills were eroding. He was making the exact same mistakes he made as a 49er, just at a much higher frequency.

I think you don't appreciate the impact major injuries and the surg they require has on a guy. Colts cut Shaq Leonard, guy went from All Pro to pretty darn washed. Dalvin Cook washed up, after his shoulder was very jacked and a lot of surg. Injuries took a toll on these guys.

Yes, Faithful. You have tried to push this narrative all season long but have yet to provide any evidence (or even hints of) why what you are saying is true. Everything you are saying could be accurate in theory, but none of it is accurate in reality. If it was, you would see a clear deterioration of his skills. Any objective fan has not seen this. You are just making excuses for him, which I suppose has been par for the course the last 5 or so years.

what nonsense, you saw the evidence, he didn't participate in the 2022 offseason, that's evidence. he didn't do the 2023 offseason, that's evidence. i can point to scars he has, that's evidence.
that is not evidence of being broken down and washed up lol
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This just reveals the absurdity of your position. In what world are literal scars not evidence of the beating you took?

His prob he always holds the ball and doesn't have a plan for what to do if the throw isn't on, he just gets the happy feet and eats punishment usually. It's not a recipe for a long career.
This just reveals the absurdity of your position. In what world are literal scars not evidence of the beating you took?

His prob he always holds the ball and doesn't have a plan for what to do if the throw isn't on, he just gets the happy feet and eats punishment usually. It's not a recipe for a long career.

Those things happen not because of injury but because he doesn't go through reads or process well.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Those things happen not because of injury but because he doesn't go through reads or process well.

I think he could do it well enough to have success in the league, but not well enough to avoid a lot of perhaps unnecessary contact. So he ate a lot of contact in his career, and it isn't sustainable forever. If you look at Newton, he ate a lot of contact also and was washed around 30. His contact was more as a runner, JG more in the pocket, holding the football. Both had foot issues, and that's when Newton was cooked.
I think he could do it well enough to have success in the league, but not well enough to avoid a lot of perhaps unnecessary contact. So he ate a lot of contact in his career, and it isn't sustainable forever. If you look at Newton, he ate a lot of contact also and was washed around 30. His contact was more as a runner, JG more in the pocket, holding the football. Both had foot issues, and that's when Newton was cooked.

He didn't do it well enough. The scheme getting guys open aided him tremendously in his success. As we saw this year when that went away the mistakes mounted.

Cam had a lisfranc issue. Not the same as a clean broken foot
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Dec 13, 2023 at 12:50 PM ]

He didn't do it well enough. The scheme getting guys open aided him tremendously in his success. As we saw this year when that went away the mistakes mounted.

I think what we saw this year, is a guy in a boot all offseason, who couldn't do anything with his new team, so there's a learning / adjustment period, and McD thought he was getting the 2016/17 version, that's not who he is. McD is such a clown, he quickly alienated the entire club, with his shenanigans, you can listen to players talk about it, his silly motivational techniques, the players did an intervention on him. Once he was out, JG was out, as JG was a McD guy. McD can do the OC job, not the HC job.

Where you take the L on the this is how he looks without Kyle take, is he was without Kyle in college and in NE and he looked great, great enough to trade and sign to a massive deal..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, he's had various injuries to his right throwing arm. A thumb, a shoulder, and his back and legs are important for throwing also. Love his QB skills - they are very good, and a step below great. Any QB that gets to the NFC CG a majority of the time *when he's healthy* is not just an average QB. Healthy years 2017, 2019, 2021 so he's made it to the NFC CG, 2/3rds of the time when he's fully healthy.

LOL

LOL

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Jimmy wasn't playing well and his health was/is an issue. He was most likely a McDaniel guy too.

when they scrapped mcdaniels, they scrapped the qb plan too. So seems like they're trying to figure out what they have in their young guys or if they're going to need to find someone this off season.

it's really not the worst plan. It's throwing away the season but they're trying to figure out what they have at the most important position, and have already made the decision that jimmy isn't the long term answer.

i think jimmys contract is pretty friendly in dead cap, too. I'm not 100% about that though. I just remember it being adjusted when his foot wasn't healed

Agree, and that's the main reason that Jimmy isn't playing. Jimmy is 32, and they are looking to rebuild, and they need a young QB for the next half decade and trying to see who they have on the roster that fits that bill, otherwise they'll go into the draft looking to see if they can get a franchise QB that way. Internet says - currently - Raiders hold the #7 first round pick. They can *potentially* get a good QB with that pick.

LOL

Textbook example of no reply indicating no counter argument

Cam had a lisfranc issue. Not the same as a clean broken foot

this is from Raiders Wire:

Injuries have been a problem for Jimmy Garoppolo. He has been lost for the latter part of the season three times in the past five years. Including last season when he suffered a lisfranc fracture in his left foot and was out the last month of the season and the playoffs.

At the time, Garoppolo held off on getting surgery in the hopes the injury would be able to heal and he could take the field should the 49ers make the Super Bowl.

They did not make the Super Bowl and as it turns out, Garoppolo did end up requiring surgery. A surgery that occurred after he had signed with the Raiders according to a report in The Athletic.

The Raiders take the field for OTA practice this week and Garoppolo will not be among them.

"You won't see him today," Josh McDaniels said of Garoppolo.

That's just evidence he was injured during the offseason and had been injured in the past. It's not evidence of any depreciation in skill, especially compared to the last few seasons. If you want to say the ACL cost him a level of mobility he had prior to 18, ok. But there isn't any real evidence to suggest he isn't capable of physically performing at the position any differently than he had in the last few years. Certainly nothing that's being presented in this argument. He didn't get benched because of physical shortcomings.

LOL

Textbook example of no reply indicating no counter argument

Dude you haven't responded once when I ask you to name a specific thing that makes Jimmy washed up. Not a one. So don't come at me saying I don't have a counter. All of your replies have been narrative filled fluff.
Share 49ersWebzone