LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
come on here, he doesn't always have success, but this is the box we find certain ppl
5GR for instance, did his QB metrics and to my understanding came to the determination JG was QB12
ok, well if he was QB12, and he's the same now as he always was (y'alls argument, not mine), then teams will be beating down his door in the offseason right?
this is where you have a problem,

he's no longer QB12 or anything close, 5GR may have been close to it at one point, but players change. Dalvin Cook is no longer RB5, more like RB55. That happens. NFL is not for long.

To be fair, I'm not 5GR. I remember reading his ranking at the time. Promise you I didn't agree that Jimmy was the 12th best QB in the league at that time, or really any other. Could he play like that in spurts… sure.

I could probably link you a poll I made on a different site from that same time period where I was surveying non Niner fan opinion on where he ranked. I think I had him about 18 at the time.

My metric had a lot of overlap with ESPN's Total QBR. Jimmy's "12" rank was just one iteration. He was ranked around 12 to 15 in all the slightly different versions. He was 13th in ESPN's Total QBR.

But I mean he was 7th in air yards per pass attempt that year. It really was, IMHO, his best year. Because he wasn't just relying on guys taking screens to the house.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I just did. Raiders under Jimmy were on track to have a better record than with Carr. It's just in a smaller scale. Jimmy is not a franchise QB that will turn an organization around. He's a good QB but not a franchise QB.

Ok cool. Follow along now:

Why was your prediction for Jimmy's Raiders at 7-8 wins, while in San Francisco Jimmy repeatedly made the NFC championship? Why not AFC championship for the Raiders?

What's the difference?

Because... The....team... Matters...too.... I never said it didn't.

And before you say it... Cousins has had good teams. Much better than the Raiders. The best WR in the league and Dalvin Cool with a stout defense and he failed.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Dec 19, 2023 at 7:01 PM ]
I would consider taking a 6 win team to potential playoff fight success. You are confused unfortunately. Improvement is also a metric to success. I didn't expect Jimmy to completely turn a franchise around.

Now you say Jimmy is a good QB then you spend all night making any positive about him you turn to a negative. Your motive is clear as day. Rag on Jimmy

See my last post and question.

You are so close to understanding that the reason you predicted 7-8 wins for Jimmy and the Raiders, while understanding that Jimmy and the Niners went to the NFC title game regularly, is because the Raiders are not as good as the Niners.

It's an exciting breakthrough.

And before you say it... Cousins has had good teams. Much better than the Raiders. The best WR in the league and Dalvin Cool with a stout defense and he failed.

I feel guilty for continually biting into this argument, lol. What a mess.
I would consider taking a 6 win team to potential playoff fight success. You are confused unfortunately. Improvement is also a metric to success. I didn't expect Jimmy to completely turn a franchise around.

Now you say Jimmy is a good QB then you spend all night making any positive about him you turn to a negative. Your motive is clear as day. Rag on Jimmy

See my last post and question.

You are so close to understanding that the reason you predicted 7-8 wins for Jimmy and the Raiders, while understanding that Jimmy and the Niners went to the NFC title game regularly, is because the Raiders are not as good as the Niners.

It's an exciting breakthrough.

Viking were a good team too and lost... Every year. Your breakthrough is you looking into the mirror and realizing you owned yourself. I mean... I didn't think I had to point out that the team plays a role roo but I guess I had to spell it out embarrassingly.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
My metric had a lot of overlap with ESPN's Total QBR. Jimmy's "12" rank was just one iteration. He was ranked around 12 to 15 in all the slightly different versions. He was 13th in ESPN's Total QBR.

But I mean he was 7th in air yards per pass attempt that year. It really was, IMHO, his best year. Because he wasn't just relying on guys taking screens to the house.

This was '21 right?

Ditto. You say you liked Jimmy then just spend every post countering that basically trashing his accomplishments. Makes no sense lol. Oh well. We've ran out course I think.
Viking were a good team too and lost... Every year. Your breakthrough is you looking into the mirror and realizing you owned yourself. I mean... I didn't think I had to point out that the team plays a role roo but I guess I had to spell it out embarrassingly.

The Vikings were not close to the Niners bud. That's the reason we were able to beat them in spite of having a better QB. Same with the Packers.

Your argument belies team as being a factor. It's QBWinz. I'll let other people read the argument and judge for themselves.
You used opinion based things like reading a field. I used factual things like playoff wins. Success within a team.

Playoff wins where the only td was scored on special teams? Where there were 8 passes thrown?
Ditto. You say you liked Jimmy then just spend every post countering that basically trashing his accomplishments. Makes no sense lol. Oh well. We've ran out course I think.

I called him an average QB and said that was a hard thing to be in the NFL. Didn't trash him at all.

This was '21 right?

Correct, I believe so. Jimmy was 13th in Total QBR with 59.2.

The other thing is that rankings for a year are relative. 59.2 would be 11th this year and in 2019 it would have been 15th.

The Vikings were not close to the Niners bud. That's the reason we were able to beat them in spite of having a better QB. Same with the Packers.

Your argument belies team as being a factor. It's QBWinz. I'll let other people read the argument and judge for themselves.

Meh we've had this argument before. Ive dealt with the hypocrisy already. Y'all blame Jimmy for every loss but then say wins aren't a QB stat.
Correct, I believe so. Jimmy was 13th in Total QBR with 59.2.

The other thing is that rankings for a year are relative. 59.2 would be 11th this year and in 2019 it would have been 15th.

I like QBR certainly better than passer rating but I still think it doesn't do a good enough job highlighting the details of how a QB is playing the position. No stat really does. Obviously it will be better the larger the sample over many years, like all stats.
Meh we've had this argument before. Ive dealt with the hypocrisy already. Y'all blame Jimmy for every loss but then say wins aren't a QB stat.

I don't blame Jimmy for any loss singularly. It's a team sport. Try again.

Raiders have some very good players on offense. Renfrow, Jakobi, Jacobs, their rookie TE (2nd round pick) and of course Adams. He somehow though managed to make Adams look like a 5th string WR, when he's been arguably the best WR in the NFL. On top of that he got reunited with McDaniels, where he even got to have input in the offense as well. Anyone who believes Jimmy is better than Cousins just doesn't know football at all. Everyone would just laugh in his face.
Share 49ersWebzone