LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
When this gets to 10k, will ppl care anymore? Lol. Cause I stopped caring moons ago lol
Originally posted by Montana:
When this gets to 10k, will ppl care anymore? Lol. Cause I stopped caring moons ago lol

I bet by then, we will have hashed all this out, come to complete agreement more or less
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I bet by then, we will have hashed all this out, come to complete agreement more or less
we're all just waiting on you
Jimmy who?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

very funny,
when JG retires, you are gonna be saying welp he went out on top, or in his prime, or some other nonsense,
that's the box you have put yourself in
my points are pretty simple, and i think self evident, he was good for us,, and his best work is in the past
Raiders got an older, not as good version of JG than we got from NE
very funny,
when JG retires, you are gonna be saying welp he went out on top, or in his prime, or some other nonsense,
that's the box you have put yourself in
my points are pretty simple, and i think self evident, he was good for us,, and his best work is in the past
Raiders got an older, not as good version of JG than we got from NE

It's not the box anybody has put themselves in, lol. There's a difference between acknowledging a player is older, and making an evidence free claim that he can't perform as well because he's damaged goods. He's not benched because he can't hack it physically.
Lot of ppl put our guys down, not me. I like all the 49ers. All these guys are gonna get a ring, all the same. It's a special squad.

Stating facts is all. It's his most suitable role.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
For the Jimmy wins crowd: Why would a team that is still in the running for the playoffs, for multiple weeks now, continue to start a rookie in AOC over him?

He's better in every way possible.

because they know Jimmy isn't the future, nor will they be bringing him back. So they're developing a young guy - giving him quality experience to see if he is someone that they want to keep developing.

I think AOC is pretty talented. He's had some serious ups and downs but he looks like he belongs in this league. this year is a wash for them, they're challenging everyone to see who they want to keep and they're playing really hard.

I thought Jimmy would do really well there but I was obviously wrong. lol their defense has played a lot better since their interim head coach took over.

So they are choosing to develop a young guy over getting a crack at the playoffs with a guy that just wins? A few pages ago someone said if Jimmy were playing, it would/would've resulted in more wins
So they are choosing to develop a young guy over getting a crack at the playoffs with a guy that just wins? A few pages ago someone said if Jimmy were playing, it would/would've resulted in more wins

The performance between the two is negligible and AOC has done a lot of things better. Jimmy is who is. He's never getting better. That's not necessarily the case with the young guy. It's hard to justify playing Jimmy when he's throwing picks at a greater rate than any player since Matt Barkley in 2016.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's not the box anybody has put themselves in, lol. There's a difference between acknowledging a player is older, and making an evidence free claim that he can't perform as well because he's damaged goods. He's not benched because he can't hack it physically.

There is a post history, I was advocating JG as a backup this season. Heck he was a backup in 2022. I think there was also an over under on yards, I said, take the under I am pretty sure. I can concede your point on damaged goods, maybe that's putting it too stridently, but to say 'a lot of injury and surg' is to put it factual. No longer the best version of himself I feel is the case. If we recall, the injury was such that Vegas had to go back and make revisions to the contract, pending the procedure on his foot. There was a hubbub about such things, I think we scrimmaged Vegas, and JG wasn't playing at that point in time. That must have been in August. Then this season, in the blue tent for multiple concussions, and even rushed to the hospital. He's kinda done with contact, can't take that anymore. If he incorporated throwing away and taking the boundary when avail, he doubtless plays a lot more games in his career.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Just 105 more pages.
There is a post history, I was advocating JG as a backup this season. Heck he was a backup in 2022. I think there was also an over under on yards, I said, take the under I am pretty sure. I can concede your point on damaged goods, maybe that's putting it too stridently, but to say 'a lot of injury and surg' is to put it factual. No longer the best version of himself I feel is the case. If we recall, the injury was such that Vegas had to go back and make revisions to the contract, pending the procedure on his foot. There was a hubbub about such things, I think we scrimmaged Vegas, and JG wasn't playing at that point in time. That must have been in August. Then this season, in the blue tent for multiple concussions, and even rushed to the hospital. He's kinda done with contact, can't take that anymore. If he incorporated throwing away and taking the boundary when avail, he doubtless plays a lot more games in his career.

He was signed as a starter. Given a 3 year deal at over 20 million a year at least on paper. Was it a dumb signing? It sure looks like it now… but he clearly was viewed as a starter there. That's why he started, lol.

Can't take the point seriously that he was a backup here. We decided to play a clearly worse player on the hope that he would develop into difference maker… and you know that.

Expecting him to start throwing away the ball is folly. It's never been a part of his game. Again, you can look at his play this year and see the same mistakes he has always made. The difference is it can't be successfully hidden or planned around when he has to carry a heavier load (and the coaching is worse).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think he'd have won more games. But I think the Raiders are tanking for the highest pick in the draft that they can get. (currently 12th pick in the first round, I think) The current coach is going to be fired at the end of the season anyway, I'm sure. Whoever comes in next year will have to rebuild pretty much from scratch. The incoming coach (It could be Anthony Lynn ) might just go for another QB pick.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think he'd have won more games. But I think the Raiders are tanking for the highest pick in the draft that they can get. (currently 12th pick in the first round, I think) The current coach is going to be fired at the end of the season anyway, I'm sure. Whoever comes in next year will have to rebuild pretty much from scratch. The incoming coach (It could be Anthony Lynn ) might just go for another QB pick.

They just won a game scoring 60+ points against a team that actually had quit.

Tanking isn't as much a thing in the NFL as fans seem to think it is. Antonio Pierce and the players are not tanking.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

He was signed as a starter. Given a 3 year deal at over 20 million a year at least on paper. Was it a dumb signing? It sure looks like it now… but he clearly was viewed as a starter there. That's why he started, lol.

Can't take the point seriously that he was a backup here. We decided to play a clearly worse player on the hope that he would develop into difference maker… and you know that.

Expecting him to start throwing away the ball is folly. It's never been a part of his game. Again, you can look at his play this year and see the same mistakes he has always made. The difference is it can't be successfully hidden or planned around when he has to carry a heavier load (and the coaching is worse).

I agree he's not gonna start protecting himself now, he should have done it ages ago if he wanted to reap the rewards of that. On being a backup, it's no matter how you slice it. Even if TL is not in the picture at all, JG simply gets injured and loses his job to Brock. Perception can be reality, once you're a backup, you remain that way, unless any org says I want him as QB1. Only one man on the planet was making JG QB1, McDaniels. He thought he was getting the 2016 version, imo. He also wanted culture fits, probably saw the room disliked him, and wanted 'his guys'.
Share 49ersWebzone