LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I agree he's not gonna start protecting himself now, he should have done it ages ago if he wanted to reap the rewards of that. On being a backup, it's no matter how you slice it. Even if TL is not in the picture at all, JG simply gets injured and loses his job to Brock. Perception can be reality, once you're a backup, you remain that way, unless any org says I want him as QB1. Only one man on the planet was making JG QB1, McDaniels. He thought he was getting the 2016 version, imo. He also wanted culture fits, probably saw the room disliked him, and wanted 'his guys'.

Lol. I really don't understand how you can continually make the point that you think Jimmy is damaged goods, or that he's not the same player he was physically in 2016, and that an NFL coach and GM who watch film endlessly would sign him now and expect the same guy. It's such a wildly inconsistent sequence of thought. You noticed this, but McDaniels and CO didn't?

He did get the Jimmy from 2016. Potentially minus some mobility from the ACL tear. Really don't even think the film shows that. And there's not any concrete evidence that the Raiders were the only team that viewed him as a starter… but even if that's true that makes him a starter. Your perception take is inaccurate because what happened happened. And in reality everyone understood that he was a backup here due to circumstance, not current quality of play (in comparison to Trey). This incorrect idea of what the perception of Jimmy G was meant nothing when Trey got hurt and our SB odds improved. That's because everyone knew we just got better in the short term. When Jimmy got hurt and Brock came in the odds went down. The perception was that Brock, the third stringer, would be worse (of course).

The perception of Jimmy was that he wasn't a franchise QB but more in line with being a bridge starter. A game manager who could help a playoff contender potentially.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I agree he's not gonna start protecting himself now, he should have done it ages ago if he wanted to reap the rewards of that. On being a backup, it's no matter how you slice it. Even if TL is not in the picture at all, JG simply gets injured and loses his job to Brock. Perception can be reality, once you're a backup, you remain that way, unless any org says I want him as QB1. Only one man on the planet was making JG QB1, McDaniels. He thought he was getting the 2016 version, imo. He also wanted culture fits, probably saw the room disliked him, and wanted 'his guys'.

Lol. I really don't understand how you can continually make the point that you think Jimmy is damaged goods, or that he's not the same player he was physically in 2016, and that an NFL coach and GM who watch film endlessly would sign him now and expect the same guy. It's such a wildly inconsistent sequence of thought. You noticed this, but McDaniels and CO didn't?

He did get the Jimmy from 2016. Potentially minus some mobility from the ACL tear. Really don't even think the film shows that. And there's not any concrete evidence that the Raiders were the only team that viewed him as a starter… but even if that's true that makes him a starter. Your perception take is inaccurate because what happened happened. And in reality everyone understood that he was a backup here due to circumstance, not current quality of play (in comparison to Trey). This incorrect idea of what the perception of Jimmy G was meant nothing when Trey got hurt and our SB odds improved. That's because everyone knew we just got better in the short term. When Jimmy got hurt and Brock came in the odds went down. The perception was that Brock, the third stringer, would be worse (of course).

The perception of Jimmy was that he wasn't a franchise QB but more in line with being a bridge starter. A game manager who could help a playoff contender potentially.

I walked back the damaged goods, if you saw that post I submitted, how about he's taken a lot of surg and injuries, that we may agree on, as it is factual.

Wanna place bets or view into next offseason or wager on his QB1 odds in 2024? I view him as a QB2, and I suspect he won't want to be QB2, I suspect he will hang it up.
I walked back the damaged goods, if you saw that post I submitted, how about he's taken a lot of surg and injuries, that we may agree on, as it is factual.

Wanna place bets or view into next offseason or wager on his QB1 odds in 2024? I view him as a QB2, and I suspect he won't want to be QB2, I suspect he will hang it up.

He just put up a terrible season where he could not stop making the same mental mistakes over and over again, away from the system and playmakers that protected him in SF. That's a far cry from coming off what was widely perceived as his best stretch of play with the 49ers, prior to the foot. There was a question of what kind of player Jimmy was, especially in the media/public. It's been answered. Of course he's got next to no chance to be a starter on a different team. You basically would need a possible playoff team that doesn't have a high draft pick, or a 'win now' QB on their roster. Those are few and far between. Pittsburgh possibly? Might have a new coach who would be unlikely to tie his first couple seasons to a player like Jimmy. There's like less than five hypothetical teams that would fit. Even less than last year when his stock was much higher.

*I should add, I would be willing to bet he doesn't retire depending on terms*
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Dec 20, 2023 at 2:29 PM ]
He just put up a terrible season where he could not stop making the same mental mistakes over and over again, away from the system and playmakers that protected him in SF. That's a far cry from coming off what was widely perceived as his best stretch of play with the 49ers, prior to the foot. There was a question of what kind of player Jimmy was, especially in the media/public. It's been answered. Of course he's got next to no chance to be a starter on a different team. You basically would need a possible playoff team that doesn't have a high draft pick, or a 'win now' QB on their roster. Those are few and far between. Pittsburgh possibly? Might have a new coach who would be unlikely to tie his first couple seasons to a player like Jimmy. There's like less than five hypothetical teams that would fit. Even less than last year when his stock was much higher.

*I should add, I would be willing to bet he doesn't retire depending on terms*

One thing I fundamentally disagree on, is he needs protected, or 2022 is his best campaign. Compare 2022, which had ups and downs, until CMC was acquired. Did JG get better once we added CMC? No! The team got better.

What kind of player Jimmy was, look back to 2017, guy walks on midseason with no offseason and just crushes it. We were undefeated, and he elevated the operation by such leaps. So that was his best stretch of play. I do see a contradiction, with folks (not you per se) saying he's a top 20 or whatever, and he's the same now as always, and trust me he's not getting top 20 dollars or contracts, as we go forward. I would say he was top 20, and maybe around top 10 in 2017. In fact we can dig this up,, here are QB ranks from 2017:

NFL.com in 2017 said JG was #12 and would have been top 5, but for the short sample size, they write: "I struggled with how to rank these three shooting stars of the 2017 season. Rodgers would be second in my per-game grading average and Jimmy GQ would be in the top-five, but they only played a third of the season and don't deserve to be ahead of top-10 quarterbacks who stayed healthy."

Now this is 2022: same site, NFL.com has him at QB20.
One thing I fundamentally disagree on, is he needs protected, or 2022 is his best campaign. Compare 2022, which had ups and downs, until CMC was acquired. Did JG get better once we added CMC? No! The team got better.

What kind of player Jimmy was, look back to 2017, guy walks on midseason with no offseason and just crushes it. We were undefeated, and he elevated the operation by such leaps. So that was his best stretch of play. I do see a contradiction, with folks (not you per se) saying he's a top 20 or whatever, and he's the same now as always, and trust me he's not getting top 20 dollars or contracts, as we go forward. I would say he was top 20, and maybe around top 10 in 2017. In fact we can dig this up,, here are QB ranks from 2017:

NFL.com in 2017 said JG was #12 and would have been top 5, but for the short sample size, they write: "I struggled with how to rank these three shooting stars of the 2017 season. Rodgers would be second in my per-game grading average and Jimmy GQ would be in the top-five, but they only played a third of the season and don't deserve to be ahead of top-10 quarterbacks who stayed healthy."

Now this is 2022: same site, NFL.com has him at QB20.

First of all I was talking about perception. He was perceived by people to be coming off his best play ever as a Niner last year. I have argued here, and certainly in the offseason QB wars, that he wasn't playing better. He was the same guy he always has been. Of course his numbers look better when CMC is added, but he fundamentally is playing the position the same.

That also applies to 2017. Of course he improved the operation. We were playing replacement level players at the position (Hoyer, Beathard). We added a competent starting level QB to a team that was losing a bunch of close games for the most part. Was he better in 2017 than in 2022? I think you can't make that case with the film. And as far as the negatives go, he was pretty careless with the ball in '17 as well. Sometimes you get away with that in a small sample (even though he still had 5 picks IIRC).
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
For the Jimmy wins crowd: Why would a team that is still in the running for the playoffs, for multiple weeks now, continue to start a rookie in AOC over him?

Same reason why Dalvin Cook doesn't get carries anymore, same reason why Colts moved on from Shaq Leonard, all these guys have had lot of injuries, surg, and are shells of their former selves.

Im done. On the ignore list. Posts officially hidden.

The logic is just too much for some ppl

It's stupid AF logic. Just stop you're embarrassing yourself lol

coming from you, I feel I must be on the right track here. I was telling you both in the offseason about KC having a D (they do) and about Lance being traded out weeks before it happened. so there is a track record here. I was literally discussing the Lance trade logic with SWH, as the trade was being filed with the league office, right before it was announced. He didn't think there was any trade logic.

In what world, do you look at 2017 JG and 2023 JG and say yeah I'll take the 2023 version?

COMING FROM EVERYONE AND THEIR BABY MAMAS! 😂

this is you

https://imgflip.com/i/8a1kp3
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Dec 20, 2023 at 4:48 PM ]
COMING FROM EVERYONE AND THEIR BABY MAMAS! ????

this is you

https://imgflip.com/i/8a1kp3

lol
If Jimmy was as bad as the Stans say, he wouldn't be the most talked QB in 49ers history. And it's not even remotely close.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
If Jimmy was as bad as the Stans say, he wouldn't be the most talked QB in 49ers history. And it's not even remotely close.

Just for laughs, how did you determine he was the most talked about Niners history?

Stans is used for fan boys you potato brain lmao. And Alex Smith owns that category anyways, if you were a fan back then you would've known. Especially on this forum, we literally had posters that switched teams and became a KC fan that's how polarizing he was.

Jimmy is an average NFL starting QB. He's not bad, he's not good.

Just for laughs, how did you determine he was the most talked about Niners history?

Whos talked about more Joe? No... Jerry? No... Steve? Not even close. It's nearly 10,000 pages of Stans like GGG obsessing about Jimmy. I'm guilty to a degree boy nowhere near GGG, SWH, random and JimmyAlltheTime guy.

Whos talked about more Joe? No... Jerry? No... Steve? Not even close. It's nearly 10,000 pages of Stans like GGG obsessing about Jimmy. I'm guilty to a degree boy nowhere near GGG, SWH, random and JimmyAlltheTime guy.

🥔 🧠

I think Alex was talked about a lot more. He was a high draft pick that didn't live up to his billing (for various reasons, not all his fault), played here a lot longer, and was replaced in a much more 'controversial' fashion.

🥔 🧠

Learn to use the word right at least. Stans is used to describe an obsessive FAN. It makes no sense how you use that word, it would be the equivalent of me calling you intelligent.
Share 49ersWebzone