Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 216 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Called reality, and called exposing the fail takes.

You can't say JG was 'holding us back', and Shanalynch did no wrong in acquiring him, those two don't go hand in hand. Now I like JG, so I like that move. A round 2 pick, is a small price, for a QB who went 38-17. Most round 2s don't give you close to that..

So is Kyle still holding 9ers back with Purdy then?

137 million is not a small price to pay. Cost DeForrest Buckner.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 3, 2024 at 3:47 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for picklejuice.
We have been over it a million times broski,

I like all you folks on here, cuz we all have chosen the correct team, the 49ers..

so it's good to keep that in mind..

sometimes simplicity is best, on the poll, it was a redundant poll, it boils down to, who's holding us back, The Guy, or the Guy who hired the Guy,
that's more or less the same question imo

I've answered it ad nauseum.. ask better questions, to get better answers, and let's not single out the guy who's 38-17 as the one player 'holding us back'.. I mean if that's how it works, what was TL doing? Talk about that draft investment, vs his production, he's a million times worse than JG. KS was legit doing 1 route concepts in preseason, while announcers were chuckling like wtf is this, well it was a way to make it turndown proof and even then, TL struggled.. so yeah when the announcers are chuckling, something sure is funny, that's the joke part.. not the only time announcers chuckled while that dude was trying to look like an NFL player, the joke wasn't him per se, he should have been day 3 at best and not playing, the joke was us slamming down 3 ones for that

So I hope this clears it up, and we can agree.

So no player ever has to be accountable for his poor play since its the Gm/Coach fault they are there.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

You can't say JG was 'holding us back', and Shanalynch did no wrong in acquiring him, those two don't go hand in hand. Now I like JG, so I like that move. A round 2 pick, is a small price, for a QB who went 38-17. Most round 2s don't give you close to that..

So is Kyle still holding 9ers back with Purdy then?

lol, you should be embarrassed on this one,
this is WBs silly poll, who is holding us back, I like both those guys
now if one wants to say JG was holding us back, well who acquired him?
that was and is my point on that..
So no player ever has to be accountable for his poor play since its the Gm/Coach fault they are there.

Sure players are accountable, and so is the GM, as GM you are your record, same as coach, we are really good!
that's why you see extensions handed out, JG did good, but was too injury prone..
hint - that's the accountability part, for not being durable enough, no extension for you JG..
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 3, 2024 at 3:49 PM ]

That's a nonsensical point because not every acquisition has to be a star player, or even an above average starter…. especially when you factor in cost of said acquisition. Getting a multi year starter you can compete with for a 2nd round pick is a win.

It was a good move to trade for Jimmy for a 2nd and we got a good return out of it. He also wasn't good enough to fully utilize our offense and we were smart to look to improve.

Where Kyle made mistake was in the major move to replace Jimmy. We drafted the wrong player at an absurd price. He also successfully navigated that mistake with smart hedges and eventually made what looks to be one of the greatest draft selections in NFL history in terms of value.

When Kyle doesn't go for 4th down then I hope you blame Jed York.

You like one. I think you'd kick the other to the curb in a hot minute for Steve Wilks.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
That's a nonsensical point because not every acquisition has to be a star player, or even an above average starter…. especially when you factor in cost of said acquisition. Getting a multi year starter you can compete with for a 2nd round pick is a win.

It was a good move to trade for Jimmy for a 2nd and we got a good return out of it. He also wasn't good enough to fully utilize our offense and we were smart to look to improve.

Where Kyle made mistake was in the major move to replace Jimmy. We drafted the wrong player at an absurd price. He also successfully navigated that mistake with smart hedges and eventually made what looks to be one of the greatest draft selections in NFL history in terms of value.

The 2nd round pick was fine. No one will ever convince me he was worth the 137 million. Hindsight is 20/20 but the right move was take the comp pick and draft Josh Allen or franchise then go get Cousins.
The 2nd round pick was fine. No one will ever convince me he was worth the 137 million. Hindsight is 20/20 but the right move was take the comp pick and draft Josh Allen or franchise then go get Cousins.

I'm sure we've been over this before but timing of decisions matter… so while I can see your argument about not being worth the 137 million in hindsight, the decision was made with considerably less information (especially damning information). That contract also became much more appropriate in terms of value after he signed it as time went on (and the market was re-set multiple times).

To me the money means next to nothing because it didn't prevent us from making the necessary moves we needed to make to become and remain a multi year SB contender.
[ Edited by picklejuice on Jan 3, 2024 at 4:05 PM ]

I'm sure we've been over this before but timing of decisions matter… so while I can see your argument about not being worth the 137 million in hindsight, the decision was made with considerably less information (especially damning information). That contract also became much more appropriate in terms of value after he signed it as time went on (and the market was re-set multiple times).

To me the money means next to nothing because it didn't prevent us from making the necessary moves we needed to make to become and remain a multi year SB contender.

Well that would apply to the Trey pick too then. Still a SB contender as well. Yet faithful likes to rant for days how not having those 1st round picks cost us a SB but not a peep about what not having Buckner might've cost. Disingenuous.

Decision didn't HAVE to be made as well. They were rash. Same as with Lance. Gotta not be as rash in the future. Thankfully we get a whole another year of data and improvement to determine what Brock should be offered.
Well that would apply to the Trey pick too then. Still a SB contender as well. Yet faithful likes to rant for days how not having those 1st round picks cost us a SB but not a peep about what not having Buckner might've cost. Disingenuous.

Decision didn't HAVE to be made as well. They were rash. Same as with Lance. Gotta not be as rash in the future. Thankfully we get a whole another year of data and improvement to determine what Brock should be offered.

Don't try to tell some posters on this board that… f**king yikes lol. Can barely even comprehend the idea.

I don't disagree with you about the Jimmy deal being rash necessarily… I just think it was heavily influenced by timing/circumstance.

I also 'forgive' the Trey mistake… even though to me it was such an obvious train wreck decision from the start, simply because of the situational fit. We survived it easily and even improved.

I've mentioned this point; and he's been up my backside for like a full year now, watch your rear

When Kyle doesn't go for 4th down then I hope you blame Jed York.

You like one. I think you'd kick the other to the curb in a hot minute for Steve Wilks.

You post like TL played
I read that argument about the Jimmy G - Kittle drop from the divisional round @ Green Bay. That was some wild s**t lol.
Share 49ersWebzone