Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 216 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Called reality, and called exposing the fail takes.

You can't say JG was 'holding us back', and Shanalynch did no wrong in acquiring him, those two don't go hand in hand. Now I like JG, so I like that move. A round 2 pick, is a small price, for a QB who went 38-17. Most round 2s don't give you close to that..

That's a nonsensical point because not every acquisition has to be a star player, or even an above average starter…. especially when you factor in cost of said acquisition. Getting a multi year starter you can compete with for a 2nd round pick is a win.

It was a good move to trade for Jimmy for a 2nd and we got a good return out of it. He also wasn't good enough to fully utilize our offense and we were smart to look to improve.

Where Kyle made mistake was in the major move to replace Jimmy. We drafted the wrong player at an absurd price. He also successfully navigated that mistake with smart hedges and eventually made what looks to be one of the greatest draft selections in NFL history in terms of value.

First paragraph, agreed (with the bold).

Second paragraph, fully utilize, now what does that mean? Whatever JG was doing, it was good enough to win 2 SBs, we were up 10 in one, and up 10 in an NFC Champ game. 2021 we beat LAR in their house, and CIN in their house, those were the 2 SB clubs. We had Trent compromised, Tartt bouncing off the pads, and 3rd and 15 converted vs KC, just a few plays here and there.. I grant you JG was no Mahomes, never was, not even close.

Agree with the rest, good finish here too
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 3, 2024 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
It was so common, every broadcast, he was the guy featured, see above article calling him face of the organization, during his time here..
this is where you take Ls, you deny reality, cuz of a JG bias, and agenda.. realize NFL QB is the focal point for a lot of attention, that's just reality, he was in his prime and on an NFL record QB contract. He often crushed it in postgame, or courtside with the Dubs cheerleaders, meanwhile those same cheerleaders, they probably don't recognize who Kyle is. So that's what face of the franchise means. You may be conflating with x's and o's football knowledge, that's Kyle.

Those cheerleaders didn't even recognize CMC, Kittle or Juice......Kyle would be invisible just like any of us would be, LOL.

Yessir, someone gets it
that's what face of the franchise is, it's a measure of how visible these guys are to more or less, general public, their Q score if one is familiar with that notion.. (similar concept)

Thats on the NFL homie. RB used to be the faces of the franchise pre 90s for the most part, and were the focal point of the offense.

When Pittsburg played and they had Kenny Picket on their commercials, nobody ever said Picket is actually the franchise. The NFL markets them in the end, teams don't have a say in who they want up there. I'm sure if Kyle had a say he would be making sure that Trent was constantly a focal point, but that aint the sexy marketing pic. And it definitely helps a lot more when you look like Jimmy.

Media controls a much bigger narrative as well. When we had prime time games, it was Jimmys face on there, but nobody was like "he's the reason the niners win games" Whether it was the hot take media guys or the honest say it like it is guys, very rarely did anyone say Jimmy is the franchise. (You said you had a bunch links showing other wise, post them pls)

You see it now with Purdy at times, which is bs, how so many (although that narrative has changed a lot more now) talk about the team around him and Kyle. The difference is Purdy is much better than Jimmy and we recognize that, and outside of hot take media guys, most give Purdy at a lot of props on how he's playing at an elite level (when did people ever call Jimmy an MVP / elite QB? - besides Giedi lol)
I read that argument about the Jimmy G - Kittle drop from the divisional round @ Green Bay. That was some wild s**t lol.

those were the days lol
First paragraph, agreed.

Second paragraph, fully utilize, now what does that mean? Whatever JG was doing, it was good enough to win 2 SBs, we were up 10 in one, and up 10 in an NFC Champ game. 2021 we beat LAR in their house, and CIN in their house, those were the 2 SB clubs. We had Trent compromised, Tartt bouncing off the pads, and 3rd and 15 converted vs KC, just a few plays here and there.. I grant you JG was no Mahomes, never was, not even close.

I don't blame Jimmy solely for the losses, nor do I like to try the blame pie game. Players are evaluated for how they play period.

Jimmy was an awful QB to close the SB out, regardless of how you want to assign a percentage of blame on that performance for the loss. Could we have won with him at that level if other things have happened differently… absolutely. Was it an acceptable performance from a starting QB in that position…. It wasn't, win or lose.

You can't say JG was 'holding us back', and Shanalynch did no wrong in acquiring him, those two don't go hand in hand. Now I like JG, so I like that move. A round 2 pick, is a small price, for a QB who went 38-17. Most round 2s don't give you close to that..

That's a nonsensical point because not every acquisition has to be a star player, or even an above average starter…. especially when you factor in cost of said acquisition. Getting a multi year starter you can compete with for a 2nd round pick is a win.

It was a good move to trade for Jimmy for a 2nd and we got a good return out of it. He also wasn't good enough to fully utilize our offense and we were smart to look to improve.

Where Kyle made mistake was in the major move to replace Jimmy. We drafted the wrong player at an absurd price. He also successfully navigated that mistake with smart hedges and eventually made what looks to be one of the greatest draft selections in NFL history in terms of value.

First paragraph, agreed.

When we were winning playoff games, it was Breida at first / defense, then Mostert, Deebo, Kittle and the defense at times. Where's Jimmy's big playoff moment? He had plenty of chances to make them, instead half of the time Kyle was like, i've seen enough go hand the ball off and throw and throw some PA pass.

The SB games stands out the most for most people, however, I give Jimmy a slight pass there because he shouldn't have been put in some of those situations in the 4th QT, especially since it was his first time there and going up against the pressure of Mahomes. Kyle learned too late, but that NFCG against the Rams was a joke, there's absolutely no reason we couldn't at least get a FG in 3 possessions in that 4th QT, hell even one decent drive would've been enough. Instead he was awful. Jimmy had a bunch of gimme plays and f**ked up badly. He sucked ass in the biggest moments. He's just not built for the big moments, he good be a good regular season QB, and had some impressive games a couple of times, but if that dude had even half the sized balls of someone like Garcia, he wins SBs and he's probably still our QB right now.

Biggest issue with Jimmy was his toughness at times (which is well documented even from former Pats teammates). The one that pissed me off the most is how he delayed his surgery during the offseason a couple years ago.

His no care attitude in the offseasons.
Fine, go ahead and ignore players calls and don't talk to coaches, but you better at least be putting in the work and getting better. Dude never improved as a niner, he got worse every year since 2017 (his best year since then was arguably last year when he had to step in).

He wasn't injured every offseason either so that excuse won't work. Alex would set up player camps ffs. Look at Brady / Manning and many others, they would do the same. Those guys f**king cared and wanted to be great and make their teams better as well. Even though it didn't work out for Alex at least he f**king tried. Jimmy is the guy at work who doesn't put in a ton of effort and is not the most talented guy in the building, but he's doing enough and he's fine with that. That pisses me off, you're making a s**t ton of money, at least put in the effort for a couple years.

Then of course his attitude on the field during loses. Smiles, laughs, gtfo with that. Here's the difference - there's that clip of Kittle trying to joke with Purdy during the Eagles playoff injury and he asks him if he can throw left handed jokingly. Purdy just said nah, and turns away from him, he was definitely not in the mood for Kittle's s**t .

The passion that Purdy plays with as well is much more noticeable as well and infectious. You even see it with how Trent talks about him, and Trent isn't a bs let me say the right things type of guy. He's either gonna not comment, or tell it like it is.

If he at least did these things I would've been a fan. Ffs i was a Shaun Hill fan even though he sucked lol, but damn did I respect how hard he played and cared. The guy spent 4 years seeing Brady almost every day, wtf lmao...

The End
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
When we were winning playoff games, it was Breida at first / defense, then Mostert, Deebo, Kittle and the defense at times. Where's Jimmy's big playoff moment? He had plenty of chances to make them, instead half of the time Kyle was like, i've seen enough go hand the ball off and throw and throw some PA pass.

The SB games stands out the most for most people, however, I give Jimmy a slight pass there because he shouldn't have been put in some of those situations in the 4th QT, especially since it was his first time there and going up against the pressure of Mahomes. Kyle learned too late, but that NFCG against the Rams was a joke, there's absolutely no reason we couldn't at least get a FG in 3 possessions in that 4th QT, hell even one decent drive would've been enough. Instead he was awful. Jimmy had a bunch of gimme plays and f**ked up badly. He sucked ass in the biggest moments. He's just not built for the big moments, he good be a good regular season QB, and had some impressive games a couple of times, but if that dude had even half the sized balls of someone like Garcia, he wins SBs and he's probably still our QB right now.

Biggest issue with Jimmy was his toughness at times (which is well documented even from former Pats teammates). The one that pissed me off the most is how he delayed his surgery during the offseason a couple years ago.

Fine, go ahead and ignore players calls and don't talk to coaches, but you better at least be putting in the work and getting better. Dude never improved as a niner, he got worse every year since 2017 (his best year since then was arguably last year when he had to step in).

He wasn't injured every offseason either so that excuse won't work. Alex would set up player camps ffs. Look at Brady / Manning and many others, they would do the same. Those guys f**king cared and wanted to be great and make their teams better as well. Even though it didn't work out for Alex at least he f**king tried. Jimmy is the guy at work who doesn't put in a ton of effort and is not the most talented guy in the building, but he's doing enough and he's fine with that. That pisses me off, you're making a s**t ton of money, at least put in the effort for a couple years.

Then of course his attitude on the field during loses. Smiles, laughs, gtfo with that. Here's the difference - there's that clip of Kittle trying to joke with Purdy during the Eagles playoff injury and he asks him if he can throw left handed jokingly. Purdy just said nah, and turns away from him, he was definitely not in the mood for Kittle's s**t .

The passion that Purdy plays with as well is much more noticeable as well and infectious. You even see it with how Trent talks about him, and Trent isn't a bs let me say the right things type of guy. He's either gonna not comment, or tell it like it is.

If he at least did these things I would've been a fan. Ffs i was a Shaun Hill fan even though he sucked lol, but damn did I respect how hard he played and cared. The guy spent 4 years seeing Brady almost every day, wtf lmao...

The End

I thank the football gods everyday that Jimmy got that surgery and that our team likely asked too much for him in trade. That was a critical step in getting where we are now, lol.

Or Sudfeld could have been the next great Kyle creation 👀
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

First paragraph, agreed.

The End

Good post. I too liked Shaun Hill, cuz I was over Alex, and he gave us more of a chance to win, this is sometime around 09 or so.. Hill was surprisingly prototype, around 6'4 225 and could move pretty well, he just had zero what you would be called 'arm talent'. with his delivery it looked like he was throwin pies.
Good post. I too liked Shaun Hill, cuz I was over Alex, and he gave us more of a chance to win, this is sometime around 09 or so.. Hill was surprisingly prototype, around 6'4 225 and could move pretty well, he just had zero what you would be called 'arm talent'. with his delivery it looked like he was throwin pies.

I even enjoyed JTO's stint even though he clearly wasn't good enough. At least he played with balls.

I even enjoyed JTO's stint even though he clearly wasn't good enough. At least he played with balls.

Is that what we call bad QB play now

jimmy g sneak!
[ Edited by picklejuice on Jan 3, 2024 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You really need to stop calling people dumb when you can't go two posts without contradicting yourself.

I asked, "what was the strawman?" You highlighted my statement, "You want to give Kyle blame because he's the one calling the shots on personnel." and then your statement "I like JG. I'm glad we got him. So why would I blame Kyle for acquiring him? Good move coach, and JL."

None of this never-ending conversation has anything to do with if you like Jimmy G or not. It also has nothing to do with if you think acquiring Jimmy g was a good move or not. Again, the context of all of this is my question, "who holds the offense back more, Kyle or Jimmy?"

The point you made just now, "if one doesn't like JG, okay, look to where he came from" wasn't the original point you made... but you continue to change your argument slightly and there's so many variations and contradictions its very much gaslighting at this point.

You actually said this in response to my poll, "Trick question in that KS has roster control so even if you say JG you are saying KS cuz it's his hand picked QB.. the poll is therefore 100% KS"

...and this, "the most tired thing on here imo is ppl saying KS can't get aggressive or go for it on 4th (I hear this endlessly) cuz of JG. Can't throw downfield cuz of JG. Have to ask yourself, where did JG come from? He didn't pick himself or roster himself. Kyle picks the offensive guys. Could have had Brady, Mahomes, Hurts, if KS wanted it and had the foresight / wisdom to make that type of move. All KS has done is draft Beathard, Lance, Purdy, and maintain status quo with JG. If you don't like JG realize that's on the guy who sets the roster on offense which is KS I am told JL defers in large part of offense to KS.

In 6 years at the games most important position... the best KS can do is JG. That's a KS problem, if you don't like JG. Not a JG problem. If you want JG gone, KS needs to pick or find someone better."

...and this "Point is Reid and Bill eval'd and drafted franchise QBs. You can say this is luck and there is some element of luck to the draft. KS is 6 years in and has yet to find one.. you may say TL but he has yet to show it. KS is either very unlucky at finding FQBs or he isn't good at it."

...and this "If KS doesn't trust JG then it means he doesnt trust his own ability to develop or find talent at the position.. and frankly at this point neither do I"

...and this "The poll phrased another way: Who holds us back more?

1. KS
2. KS inability to find, develop, groom a FQB?"

How many more examples do you need? You refused to legitimately answer my question at first, then you try this B.S. .... not to mention you used this poll as "evidence" I hated Jimmy.

I mean, you just said you don't blame Trey for his struggles, then a couple pages back you called him a "joke". You say I straw manned but you can't be specific because... why? You know I didn't/

You're the one saying "I don't blame Kyle for much of anything, I'm positive about Kyle"... yet your posts tell otherwise. There are so many more examples I could post. Like MJ said, "Just stop it"

We have been over it a million times broski,

I like all you folks on here, cuz we all have chosen the correct team, the 49ers..

so it's good to keep that in mind..

sometimes simplicity is best, on the poll, it was a redundant poll, it boils down to, who's holding us back, The Guy, or the Guy who hired the Guy,
that's more or less the same question imo

I've answered it ad nauseum.. ask better questions, to get better answers, and let's not single out the guy who's 38-17 as the one player 'holding us back'.. I mean if that's how it works, what was TL doing? Talk about that draft investment, vs his production, he's a million times worse than JG. KS was legit doing 1 route concepts in preseason, while announcers were chuckling like wtf is this, well it was a way to make it turndown proof and even then, TL struggled.. so yeah when the announcers are chuckling, something sure is funny, that's the joke part.. not the only time announcers chuckled while that dude was trying to look like an NFL player, the joke wasn't him per se, he should have been day 3 at best and not playing, the joke was us slamming down 3 ones for that

So I hope this clears it up, and we can agree.

I have no ulterior motive to be concentrating my focus on our disputes.

You're the one who called me a hater in the past, and you just said I straw manned you (I clearly didn't based off your own comments)

It's stuff like that that drives me insane, if you're going to accuse me of something, at least have some basis for it. Like mocking me if Steve Wilks returns.

These next quotes are not from me, but from other posters on the forum about your posting style on the webzone:

"You seem to have a genuine problem understanding logic, and more generally, how comparisons works."

"Dude my points were pretty clear, why are you taking them somewhere else?"

"This is simply a dishonest point."

"Dude you have got to be the most frustrating person to have a conversation with on here lol"

It's one thing to be in denial about how often you contradict yourself, but you're also one of the loudest in accusing others of being wrong or inconsistent.

You can't be both and expect people to respect that...

best jimmy g highlight video
[ Edited by picklejuice on Jan 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone