There are 195 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by evil:
Ejiro Evero has interviewed for all 5 openings and now has 2nd interviews set up with the Colts and Texans. Would like to see this man gets a gig sooner than later, good young up and coming DC.

Agreed. I'd prefer him over a rethread like Dan Quinn (not saying Dan isn't deserving, but Evero crushed it as DC).

He's a one year coordinator handed to the keys to a very talented unit. Not saying that he's a bad candidate but the NFL history of HC busts that matches that description is a long one.

Definitely inexperienced and still has something to prove but Meco has only one more year of experience as a DC and also was handed the keys to a talented unit. Though Evero has a bit more overall coaching experience.

They are both kinda on similar trajectories as the young hot DC candidates.
I really cannot understand the focus on defensive coordinators for head coaching positions. It's not that they make bad head coaches. It just seems to me that coaches who work on the offensive side of the ball are much more apt to develop unique and talented offenses that score bunches of points or are at least highly entertaining. Kyle Shanahan, Brian Daboll and Nick Sirianni are just a few of the examples. There are others.

Robert Saleh has only been given two seasons to turn the Jets around, and he's done a great job in building that defense. But the team has suffered on the offensive end. It does not appear that Saleh is good at developing or mentoring quarterbacks. Yes, you could argue that Zach Wilson is just another in a long line of high draft pick QB busts. But, is that really the case? Or is it something else? Have the Jets wasted the talent that Wilson offers? Would Wilson have flopped under the mentorship of Kyle Shanahan?

Then again, I'm ignoring the elephants in the room. Pete "The Cheat" Carroll and Bill Belicheat both came through the ranks as defensive assisstants or coordinators and have managed to do just fine when it comes to developing QB's. Although, you could make the argument that Belichick just got lucky with Tom Brady, as Shanahan appears to have done with Purdy. Those two are late round picks who were seen as training camp fodder and not much else.

At any rate, it was just a thought on my part and nothing more. I was disappointed when the 49ers hired Mike Nolan as HC because, to me, it meant the end of a period where innovative offenses resided in San Francisco.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I really cannot understand the focus on defensive coordinators for head coaching positions. It's not that they make bad head coaches. It just seems to me that coaches who work on the offensive side of the ball are much more apt to develop unique and talented offenses that score bunches of points or are at least highly entertaining. Kyle Shanahan, Brian Daboll and Nick Sirianni are just a few of the examples. There are others.

Robert Saleh has only been given two seasons to turn the Jets around, and he's done a great job in building that defense. But the team has suffered on the offensive end. It does not appear that Saleh is good at developing or mentoring quarterbacks. Yes, you could argue that Zach Wilson is just another in a long line of high draft pick QB busts. But, is that really the case? Or is it something else? Have the Jets wasted the talent that Wilson offers? Would Wilson have flopped under the mentorship of Kyle Shanahan?

Then again, I'm ignoring the elephants in the room. Pete "The Cheat" Carroll and Bill Belicheat both came through the ranks as defensive assisstants or coordinators and have managed to do just fine when it comes to developing QB's. Although, you could make the argument that Belichick just got lucky with Tom Brady, as Shanahan appears to have done with Purdy. Those two are late round picks who were seen as training camp fodder and not much else.

At any rate, it was just a thought on my part and nothing more. I was disappointed when the 49ers hired Mike Nolan as HC because, to me, it meant the end of a period where innovative offenses resided in San Francisco.

Interesting post.

Belichick as you mention is on the Mt Rushmore of coaching.. if you pair that kind of D coach with a HOF QB we saw the product there.

I guess say there is someone with the best D in the league by far. If you want that guy's D.. sure he can be coordinator, however, if someone poaches him as HC there he goes.

I was rollin with Nolan cuz he crushed it with OC hires. McCarthy, Turner and Martz are great OCs. Problem is they are too good and got poached early on.
These are the defensive coaches that just popped into my head from recent memory. I'm sure I'm missing some ppl

Lovie Smith - Just fired
Saleh - Can't figure out the qb
Tomlin- outlier but they had a down year
McDermott - Offense is one dimensional and not built to win in bad weather or the playoffs
Flores - couldn't figure out Tua
Staley - can't get out of his own way and his defense is underwhelming
I was wondering if the league would let us keep the car park attendants?
Originally posted by English:

Might pluck our medical personnel now that we are finally pretty healthy in the playoffs.

That depends, have they spent more than ten minutes in a room with Kyle at any one time? If so, then no.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

Might pluck our medical personnel now that we are finally pretty healthy in the playoffs.

Or the grounds crew now that Levi's grass is in great condition.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Interesting post.

Belichick as you mention is on the Mt Rushmore of coaching.. if you pair that kind of D coach with a HOF QB we saw the product there.

I guess say there is someone with the best D in the league by far. If you want that guy's D.. sure he can be coordinator, however, if someone poaches him as HC there he goes.

I was rollin with Nolan cuz he crushed it with OC hires. McCarthy, Turner and Martz are great OCs. Problem is they are too good and got poached early on.

Colin Cowherd has been preaching this for 2 years. There are exceptions but OCs usually make better HCs. Belichick and Carroll are exceptions but remember that both of them failed in their first shot as a HC. Belichick in Cleveland and Carroll with the Jets. They both became successful when they got great QBs. Brady and Wilson. They had both built quality defenses but they needed those QBs to make it work.
Jets hired Nathaniel Hackett as OC.
If the Colts end up hiring Jeff Saturday as their HC....
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Jets hired Nathaniel Hackett as OC.

Guess they are going after Rodgers... Good luck...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If the Colts end up hiring Jeff Saturday as their HC....

I think that would definitely take them out of any potential Rodgers race.
Share 49ersWebzone