There are 271 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
Guess they are going after Rodgers... Good luck...

Worked out well for Denver.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If the Colts end up hiring Jeff Saturday as their HC....

Irsay is a terrible owner. I actually felt firing Reich was a bad decision. Reich is a good coach that was given a recycling pattern of starting qb's. Without a good QB you cannot win constantly in the NFL. You just can't.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/26/report-demeco-ryans-emerges-as-a-top-candidate-for-broncos/
Dan Quinn to the Cards would make a lot of sense. They already tried young and upcoming in Kingsbury. Time for experienced HC. Quinn been to the SB. Knows Carroll and Kyle. Good pieces on both offense and defense with the Cards. He would have a quick turnaround with the Cards.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Dan Quinn to the Cards would make a lot of sense. They already tried young and upcoming in Kingsbury. Time for experienced HC. Quinn been to the SB. Knows Carroll and Kyle. Good pieces on both offense and defense with the Cards. He would have a quick turnaround with the Cards.

Agreed that would be a good hire for them
Panthers hired ex-Colts coach Frank Reich as head coach.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Frank Reich is a good coach, but he has no shot without a quarterback.
I like Reich, but he's lucky to get the Panthers job. Most likely his last chance at HC. Over the hill Matt Ryan and retread Wentz were terrible. Best of both world-- Jimmy G
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I was rollin with Nolan cuz he crushed it with OC hires. McCarthy, Turner and Martz are great OCs. Problem is they are too good and got poached early on.

Dang! I had forgotten about this. You are absolutely RIGHT! Obviously, you did not destroy your mind AND memory. As I might have did. Maybe.

I cannot begin to tell you how BUMMED I was when those OC hires started to flee the ship after a season or two. Yeah, they were good. And, yeah, they didn't stick around long enough to watch the paint dry. Just when Alex Smith was starting to wing it under one offensive philisophy, it was so long, farewell, good luck! You are so right.

That's why I don't like hiring DC's as head coaches! They are reliant upon OC's to run the show. But, if those OC's show even the slightest hint of talent, they are long gone after the first time the phone rings.

Makes me wonder how Bellicheat and Carroll survived for as long as they did. Perhaps they had an offensive system in place and simply molded OC's to that system? It also makes me wonder why Nolan didn't do that. Because, yeah, like you I was "Rollin' with Nolan."

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I was rollin with Nolan cuz he crushed it with OC hires. McCarthy, Turner and Martz are great OCs. Problem is they are too good and got poached early on.

Dang! I had forgotten about this. You are absolutely RIGHT! Obviously, you did not destroy your mind AND memory. As I might have did. Maybe.

I cannot begin to tell you how BUMMED I was when those OC hires started to flee the ship after a season or two. Yeah, they were good. And, yeah, they didn't stick around long enough to watch the paint dry. Just when Alex Smith was starting to wing it under one offensive philisophy, it was so long, farewell, good luck! You are so right.

That's why I don't like hiring DC's as head coaches! They are reliant upon OC's to run the show. But, if those OC's show even the slightest hint of talent, they are long gone after the first time the phone rings.

Makes me wonder how Bellicheat and Carroll survived for as long as they did. Perhaps they had an offensive system in place and simply molded OC's to that system? It also makes me wonder why Nolan didn't do that. Because, yeah, like you I was "Rollin' with Nolan."

The biggest job the HC has is assembling a strong coaching staff. The HC is usually occupied with so many things that he doesn't have time to micromanage. The best coaches rely on their coaches to relay their vision of what they want from the team. When a coordinator leaves to take a HC job it's an indicator of how good the HC is. If he cn replace the coordinator and the team doesn't miss a beat thren he's a good HC.

Hiring and eventually firing is one of the hardest parts of being the guy that calls the shots.

Dan Quinn was not good when he didn't have Shanahan as OC.

Agreed. The Falcons slowly started to fall apart after the 49ers poached Kyle. It wasn't immediate. But the team just wasn't the same. Quinn also could not replace the talent that had been assembled on the offensive side of the team. His defenses were good. But the offensive output slowly declined.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Agreed. The Falcons slowly started to fall apart after the 49ers poached Kyle. It wasn't immediate. But the team just wasn't the same. Quinn also could not replace the talent that had been assembled on the offensive side of the team. His defenses were good. But the offensive output slowly declined.

Defensive ranks for Atlanta: 16, 25, 5, 28, 20, 20, 29.
David Shaw should have left Stanford after winning the Rose Bowl in 2015. He could have written his ticket to just about any job in the NFL.

I don't know why he suddenly lost his mojo, but the same thing happened with Jeff Tedford at Cal. I don't know why the Bears suddenly stumbled under his watch. But they did. Tedford has been able to resurrect his career at Fresno State. I hope Shaw gets another chance. He's not a bad coach. He just got a wee bit too comfortable at Stanford.
Share 49ersWebzone