There are 268 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My guess is Daniel Bullocks or Cory Undlin.

I have a hard time seeing Kyle putting his defense in the hands of a guy who failed as DC the first time and has only been around a year.
Originally posted by battletowin:

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My guess is Daniel Bullocks or Cory Undlin.

I have a hard time seeing Kyle putting his defense in the hands of a guy who failed as DC the first time and has only been around a year.

He wouldn't have hired him if he was worried about how good a coach he was.
Originally posted by Jcool:

He hired him as a DB coach, as a DB coach he has a long and seemingly positive track record. That doesn't mean that he think that he'll make a good defensive coordinator necessarily.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He hired him as a DB coach, as a DB coach he has a long and seemingly positive track record. That doesn't mean that he think that he'll make a good defensive coordinator necessarily.

He was a DC for one season had to deal with 3 different head coaches and little talent to work with. That wouldn't be an issue with the 49ers. At one point Vic Fangio was thought of as such a bad DC that he had to go to college, now teams are in a bidding war for his services.
This is interesting. I thought he was definitely going back to Michigan.

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-had-second-meeting-with-jim-harbaugh-about-head-coaching-job
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
This is interesting. I thought he was definitely going back to Michigan.

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-had-second-meeting-with-jim-harbaugh-about-head-coaching-job

Harbaugh is just playing poker. I think he goes to Denver.
i, surprised only 1 headcoach has been hired.. usually by conference championship week majority of the jobs are filled. Im guessing after DeMeco Ryans decides then all the other teams will make some decision quickly .

Fanfic probably going to wait and see if he can land the 49er gig.
Originally posted by English:
It was said in the Demeco Ryans thread that Ryans runs a similar system to Fangio only the D-line is different. If they hired Fangio, I hope he keeps Kocurek. I'm pretty sure Corey Undlin would be gone since he would wanna bring Ed Donatell with him.

Personally, if Fangio and Kocurek can't work together, I keep Kocurek and find a new coordinator. Not that bothered about Fangio anyway, pretty sure we can do better. But Kocurek stays!

I feel like this as well.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
I really cannot understand the focus on defensive coordinators for head coaching positions. It's not that they make bad head coaches. It just seems to me that coaches who work on the offensive side of the ball are much more apt to develop unique and talented offenses that score bunches of points or are at least highly entertaining. Kyle Shanahan, Brian Daboll and Nick Sirianni are just a few of the examples. There are others.

Robert Saleh has only been given two seasons to turn the Jets around, and he's done a great job in building that defense. But the team has suffered on the offensive end. It does not appear that Saleh is good at developing or mentoring quarterbacks. Yes, you could argue that Zach Wilson is just another in a long line of high draft pick QB busts. But, is that really the case? Or is it something else? Have the Jets wasted the talent that Wilson offers? Would Wilson have flopped under the mentorship of Kyle Shanahan?

Then again, I'm ignoring the elephants in the room. Pete "The Cheat" Carroll and Bill Belicheat both came through the ranks as defensive assisstants or coordinators and have managed to do just fine when it comes to developing QB's. Although, you could make the argument that Belichick just got lucky with Tom Brady, as Shanahan appears to have done with Purdy. Those two are late round picks who were seen as training camp fodder and not much else.

At any rate, it was just a thought on my part and nothing more. I was disappointed when the 49ers hired Mike Nolan as HC because, to me, it meant the end of a period where innovative offenses resided in San Francisco.

If I were running an NFL franchise I'd only hire offensive head coaches. There is a litany of reasons, but most notably the QB is the most important and expensive position on the team. Therefore it makes sense to insulate that position as much as possible, without being too much of a detriment to the defense. In the scenario that you have a defensive-minded HC and a stud QB you are likely promoting or hiring a new OC every few years who want to put their wrinkle into the offense if not a complete change in philosophy/system. Why put that position through that instability all the time? That's not the only reason I'd only hire offensive HC's but one of the biggest reasons.
Fangio is the new Dolphins DC

Nice get for McDaniel & Dolphins
Perfect fit for McDaniel. He needed a little steadying wisdom on his staff.
Share 49ersWebzone