49ers hold off Seahawks for much-needed win in Seattle, 36-24 →

There are 367 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:

I think it's more likely Peters gonna tap someone on the Niners coaching staff. First time GM, he need an experienced HC....Wilks.

Lynch was also new to GM, and Kyle was a first timer, but Kyle had a whole bunch of coaching experience at a young age.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

I remember him as a player. Good for him! Hope he does well. Curious if he kicks out mac. Lol
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I think it's more likely Peters gonna tap someone on the Niners coaching staff. First time GM, he need an experienced HC....Wilks.

Lynch was also new to GM, and Kyle was a first timer, but Kyle had a whole bunch of coaching experience at a young age.

Nah, I think a guy like peters will want an offensive minded head coach. Defense wins championships but with the rule changes, a great offensive mind is possibly more important now.

Hiring Wilks over Johnson would be a mistake.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I think Peters might also go the Mike Vrabel route since they were together in New England before.

Not a chance Peters kicks off his first and perhaps only shot at being GM by opting to go with a blah retread. If I had to put everything I own on it I'd bet on him going with a young, offensive minded head coach. It goes with the whole startup mentality that Harris seems to encourage.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I remember him as a player. Good for him! Hope he does well. Curious if he kicks out mac. Lol

I hear he has never been in a system other than Belichick so expect the same stuff. Just not as good unless he finds another Brady.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I hear he has never been in a system other than Belichick so expect the same stuff. Just not as good unless he finds another Brady.

Five years as LB coach to head coach. I remember seeing the track record of position coaches that go to head coach without ever being a coordinator, it's not good.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think Peters might also go the Mike Vrabel route since they were together in New England before.

Nothing like retreads.. over and over..

Give me the young up and comers.

Originally posted by thl408:

Five years as LB coach to head coach. I remember seeing the track record of position coaches that go to head coach without ever being a coordinator, it's not good.

I don't understand what the Patriots are thinking. It feels like some sad attempt to hold onto the past and leaving some type of succession behind. I get letting Bill go is more about the GM aspect. But the problem with the Patriots since Brady left is the offense and the problems have been more then just a lack of talent. What known quality offensive mind is going to want to go work under Mayo as OC with the offensive roster currently on the Pats. None. This feels like a decision that is going to leave them in almost the exact same place they are right now one or two years from now.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Bloodless:

I don't understand what the Patriots are thinking. It feels like some sad attempt to hold onto the past and leaving some type of succession behind. I get letting Bill go is more about the GM aspect. But the problem with the Patriots since Brady left is the offense and the problems have been more then just a lack of talent. What known quality offensive mind is going to want to go work under Mayo as OC with the offensive roster currently on the Pats. None. This feels like a decision that is going to leave them in almost the exact same place they are right now one or two years from now.

There were a bunch of factoids put out when Tomsula went from DL coach to head coach (position coach to HC, without being a coordinator) and it looked bad. I guess they want to retain that Patriot culture that Bill instilled over the years. That's fine and all, but Mayo needs to attract good assistants and coordinators.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Nothing like retreads.. over and over..

Give me the young up and comers.

Vrabel isn't as much of a retread as Doug Peterson, Ron Rivera or Mike McCarthy.

What's really strange is that in his contract, it was stipulates that he would replace BB. So I wonder why they didn't have him as a coordiantor?

pats have the third overall pick so I anticipate they'll take Daniels or Williams.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 12, 2024 at 3:11 PM ]
ICYMI - This might help to shed some light on the quickness at which Jerod Mayo was hired

"The New England Patriots announced that their linebackers coach, Jerod Mayo will replace Bill Belichick as their new Head Coach.
They reportedly did not consider anyone else for the position as Mayo apparently had it written into his contract that he would get the job.
It certainly explains the terse and perfunctory news conference from Belichick and Patriots owner Robert Kraft yesterday".
Share 49ersWebzone