49ers list Charvarius Ward among 7 inactives vs. Seahawks →

There are 518 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Harbaugh to Dallas
No way Jerruh lets that happen. He always has to be smartest in the room.

Must be lonely for him
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
This franchise definitely knows what that's about

Paul Allen's widow and her woke, purple-haired Karen friends (Megan Rapinoe) and their cats run the Seahawks now…. #SmashThePatriarchy
✊🏿👩🏻‍🎤👨🏻‍🎤🧑🏽‍🎤🐈‍⬛
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 14, 2024 at 5:14 PM ]

He needs to deal with being canned with a bit of class. It wasn't working. You gone.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Paul Allen's widow and her woke, purple-haired Karen friends (Megan Rapinoe) and their cats run the Seahawks now…. #SmashThePatriarchy
✊🏿👩🏻‍🎤👨🏻‍🎤🧑🏽‍🎤🐈‍⬛
What the...
So apparently Ran Carthon was NOT behind the firing of Mike Vrabel. Totally reeks of the 49ers in 2015.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
So apparently Ran Carthon was NOT behind the firing of Mike Vrabel. Totally reeks of the 49ers in 2015.
Some dark times for sure

This is why I'm always confused why guys take jobs at these kind of organizations - you know ownership is a joke and you won't be fully supported.

the situation that the 49ers have is very unique - where Kyle has complete control and a collaborative front office and ownership who stays out of the way and supports best they can. Closest I've seen to what we have is what Kraft/belichcik had for a long time. Hopefully we can replicate that sort of success.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tankle104:

This is why I'm always confused why guys take jobs at these kind of organizations - you know ownership is a joke and you won't be fully supported.

the situation that the 49ers have is very unique - where Kyle has complete control and a collaborative front office and ownership who stays out of the way and supports best they can. Closest I've seen to what we have is what Kraft/belichcik had for a long time. Hopefully we can replicate that sort of success.

I mean I think for guys on the bubble its the only way to get a HC job.

And to be honest even though you know its s**tshow at least you are going to get paid enough to live the rest of your life comfortably.

You still need the right personel. We had the structure when we hired M Nolan. Didn't work since Nolan can't coach.

Say what you will about Jed in that time, but he was always at the press conference to face the media when those decisions were made, unlike "Miss Amy". Those appearances didn't always go well for him, but he was there.

• pdc20
  • Veteran

The owner took the decision.
But at some point if you want to win the Superbowl you have to score points.
The Titans haven't scored at least 30 points in the last two seasons IIRC.
Their offense is a mess and their defense average at best.
Plus you had Vrabel probably lobbying to be the Patriots HC.
Now the question is who's gonna be the new HC.
It will be hard to replace Vrabel but hey who knows maybe Bobby Slowik could take the job.
Originally posted by captveg:

Say what you will about Jed in that time, but he was always at the press conference to face the media when those decisions were made, unlike "Miss Amy". Those appearances didn't always go well for him, but he was there.

He definitely did. I'll give him that.
Originally posted by pdc20:

The owner took the decision.
But at some point if you want to win the Superbowl you have to score points.
The Titans haven't scored at least 30 points in the last two seasons IIRC.
Their offense is a mess and their defense average at best.
Plus you had Vrabel probably lobbying to be the Patriots HC.
Now the question is who's gonna be the new HC.
It will be hard to replace Vrabel but hey who knows maybe Bobby Slowik could take the job.

Vrabel's praise of the Patriots org was definitely inappropriate but I never heard of him lobbying for that job. The Titans traded away AJ Brown and didn't replace him. Their QB situation was trash. What kind of offense do you expect with what Vrabel was given?

Remember how critical fans were of Jed when he took over the team. You rarely hear anything from him now. He's the way ownership should be. Provide the resources, hire good people and stay out of the limelight.
Is it better to hire a Head Coach with a background in Offense or Defense? It always seems like the talking heads say you need an offensive coach to get the most out of the QB. Here are the stats:

2023 Playoffs. Prior to Bills-Steelers and Bucs-Eagles, it is an even 5-5 split. I'm counting Harbaugh as defensive since his background was defense and special teams.
  • Offense: Kyle Shanahan, Mike Lafleur, Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni, Andy Reid
  • Defense: John Harbaugh, Todd Bowles, Sean McDermott, Mike Tomlin, Demeco Ryans
Super Bowl Winners since 2000 is another even split.
  • Offense: 12 out of 23
  • Defense: 11 out of 23
Excluding duplicate Super Bowl winners mainly removes the Belichick Super Bowls, so here is the only indicator that it might be better to promote an OC over a DC.

• Offense: 10 out of 16
  • Defense: 6 out of 16

Super Bowl Winners: Season, Coach, Specialty
  • 2022, Andy Reid, Offense
  • 2021, Sean McVay, Offense
  • 2020, Bruce Arians, Offense
  • 2019, Andy Reid, Offense
  • 2018, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2017, Doug Pederson, Offense
  • 2016, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2015, Gary Kubiak, Offense
  • 2014, Bill Belichick, Defense